Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks as though a member of Out&About Live has done some research and found out that it is not illegal to carry small amounts of foodstuff (dairy, meat etc) as long as it is for personal consumption.

The whole thread - shamelessly stolen from OAL - is here...

The chap in question (Bravo sir!) highlighted these areas....

4) Exemptions from official controls at border control posts for products which form part of travellers’ personal luggage, for products for consumption by the crew and passengers on board means of transport operating internationally,

(8) Pursuant to Article 48(d) and (e) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625, products which form part of passenger’s personal luggage and are intended for their personal consumption or use and small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market should be exempted from official controls at border control posts.

Animals and goods exempted from official controls at border control posts ...

(c) goods on board means of transport operating internationally which are not unloaded and are intended for consumption by the crew and passengers;

(d) goods which form part of passengers personal luggage and are intended for personal consumption or use
;

So now hopefully we should be able to put to bed the speculation and hopefully this will be a boon for those of us who like to have a few bits and pieces on board until we can get to a French supermarket.

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further update here

...and it's not good news!

Reactions: Relyat

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving!

Cant say it bothers me though. Plenty of good food in France.
Totally agree but it is useful to have a few things on board so that the very first thing we do when entering the country is not to have to find a supermarket especially if we have a long drive ahead that day.

Reactions: raynipper

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you may need to go back and look at his latest post as he has also clarified certain statements - unfortunately he concludes that any amount of prohibited foods cannot be brought into the EU.
Which is the point I made in Post #2 when I said it wasn't good news...

· Registered
2014 Autotrail Tribute Sport T615
29 Posts
Mmmmmm have seen this but as most have said they have never been stopped , i certainly have never been stopped since brexit and take all the normal stuff bacon sausage,milk butter,cheese but not excessive amounts. take a fair few tins and potatoes and veg, usually enough for a week. Going Newhaven in May ,first time on this crossing since brexit so will see what happens and keep you updated .One thing which is permitted and very expensive in France is Salmon so will fill the freezer with that.:) (its not a big fridge anyhow). Bit off topic and bringing stuff back ,I like french toast and find when i get back its very expensive and not many places sell it.(tesco do in small packs for £1.35) so on my trip to Portugal a couple of weeks ago i brought 4 packs back in my suitcase (less than the tesco price):)

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
Horrible stuff Jean. Like energen crisp bread. But the French seem to like it.

Ray.

• Sad
Reactions: jiwawa
1 - 18 of 18 Posts