Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
We have just been told by a friend that the french are confiscating food taken from the UK to France. Is this true? we have never had a problem in the past but, as we are going next week, I would like to be sure we wont lose ££££s worth of grub before we even get there!!!

Cheers all, Womble.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okydoky, not gonna worry then. We never take much anyway! I'll let you all know how it goes!

We are off next wed for 2 weeks and it looks like it will be Holland & Northern Germany. Cant wait to get going!!

Cheers all,

Womble.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We've never had any problems, thank goodness. Our garage and fridge are always full of stuff we can't get here in Spain. Lots of dairy products too; cheese, bacon, butter etc.

Last trip back was last week.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
There are food products that are illegal to be imported from the UK to France, just as there are products that it is illegal to bring back to the UK.
I believe that the latest information is on the Foreign Office website.
Never bothered either way.
Gerry

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Food to France

GerryD said:
There are food products that are illegal to be imported from the UK to France, just as there are products that it is illegal to bring back to the UK.
I believe that the latest information is on the Foreign Office website.
Never bothered either way.
Gerry
Hey I thought we were in the EEC??????????????????????

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Food to France?

:D Ciao tutti, I hope there is no truth in the rumour that escargots are to become a protected species, and therefore their import into the UK will be prohibited.
saluti,
eddied

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
The argument has always been about protecting our agriculture. There was a time when it was illegal to import root vegetables form France because they had a particular blight that hadn't invaded our crops.
The ban was designed to prevent even small quantities being imported as the peelings could get to landfill and then transferred to our crops by birds.
There was also a ban on the import of some plants and bulbs from the continent.
It is not about being in the EU it is about how useful that narrow strip of water can be, but wider availability of travel breaches that natural barrier.
Gerry

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
We have just come back from France through the tunnel and although the French police stopped us and chatted, they did not search. Our problem is that we can't bring meat back to the Isle of Man (cheaper in the UK) and they will ask you and search!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.