Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Still a novice although into our second year with a Compass Drifter 410 motorhome. Whenever we stop anywhere we are always concerned about being near a water supply to fill the tank which we need to do probably every 2/3 days. We extend our hoses to the tap and fill in that way. Are we doing it wrong, as I never seem to see anyone else fill up in this way. We have a flat hose and normal hose with a selection of fittings and it works but I somehow feel that other people might be doing it differently. I realise you can get a roll water tank but we really don't want to have to carry anything else. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks :?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi Suzya

Most folks use a hose of some sort with, like you, a range of fittings; we do. We also have a 10litre watering can which is really useful to keep the tank topped-up if you can't (or can't be bothered) to get the mh close to the tap. I got a blue one (even though it isn't 'food grade' plastic it looks the part and reminds me not to use it for anything else :) ) , it was £7 from a garden centre I think.

I now use the watering can to put a little water in if we are off on a day trip from home and it saves all the hassle of getting hoses out.

Hope this is useful.

Happy travels!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Suzya

Like Jagman I'm a watering can convert (stick a 6" piece of hose on the end) and it works well for topping up whilst on the pitch.

It depends whether you want to be driving around with praps 100litres plus of fresh water in your tank. I tend not to and only fill up at a mhome service point (using hosepipe) if I'm staying for several days..

Otherwise I keep a bare minimum in the tank and use the watering can.

No set rules- play it as you wish.

Oh- first Post? Welcome! :lol:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hi.
If you dont want to move your MH each time you need water,just get a plastic container with a nozzle,i find that the easiest way.

Les

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Suzya said:
Hi there! Still a novice although into our second year with a Compass Drifter 410 motorhome. Whenever we stop anywhere we are always concerned about being near a water supply to fill the tank which we need to do probably every 2/3 days. We extend our hoses to the tap and fill in that way. Are we doing it wrong, as I never seem to see anyone else fill up in this way. We have a flat hose and normal hose with a selection of fittings and it works but I somehow feel that other people might be doing it differently. I realise you can get a roll water tank but we really don't want to have to carry anything else. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks :?
Well a hose is the way I normally do it but am seldom at a campsite long enough for the water to run out apart from on rallies. If I go off site for any reason I return via the water point if I'm low.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not wanting to move our van to water every few days we use a 40 lt aqua roll and then we have a drop in pump with a 12 volt plug on a long lead so we can take the water on board.

In Europe it is less of a issue topping up than it is in the UK

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
We have 2 different lengths of hose a 5mtre and 20mtre for when we can get near by to a tap.

Otherwise we have one of the collapsible water carriers I think there was a 5 litre and 10 litre and a funnel with a bendy end, other half loves using this as he always gets one of the children or billy muggins here to hold the funnel while he attempts to drown us. Like this one http://tinyurl.com/q5auhc

We don't have food quality anything just a nature pure filter that sorts it all out for us.

Taps in Europe not been a problem so many Aires around to use and get near to the source.

Mandy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I know it sounded a silly detail but when you're new to all this you don't want everyone looking at you and thinking you are bigger donuts than you feel! We are now going out to get a large watering can. Its obviously the bit of kit we've missed out on!

Many thanks

Suzya :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
BERTHA said:
Not wanting to move our van to water every few days we use a 40 lt aqua roll and then we have a drop in pump with a 12 volt plug on a long lead so we can take the water on board.

In Europe it is less of a issue topping up than it is in the UK
Thats the way to do it -we use a £9.99 25ltrs Halfords water container (heavy !) and a drop in 12v pump ( <£10) - linked up to filling point with a 'hose adapted filler cap' - no spillage ( see Oudoors Bits).

I bought a very robust Focus collapsible 'porters' trolley ( about £16) - so I cart fresh water, grey waste container ( same Halfords container - spray painted black) and toilet cassette , without effort, to/from van to /from service point. once I'm pitched up - thats it - I don't like to move the van.

Harry

·
Premium Member
27,774 Posts
In our 'brilliant' 2000 Hobby 750 the short flexible built in hose between the filler cap and tank goes slightly up hill. :idea:
It's OK at home when I can stick the garden hose in about a foot but when using a bendy funnel and container, half comes back.
I have to remember to park right hand down. Then the shower doesn't drain.

Always something in Shangri-La.

Ray.

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
We're hose people too, and like MandyandAndy, we have a short length and a long length, with Hozelock-type fittings and a joining bit. However, there are times when a quick splash is all that's needed, so we have a cheap collapsible water container (about 10 litres, I think) and a funnel on some hose. I think it's about the smallest I can get something that gives me the occasional facility without filling up the lockers with stuff :roll:

Gerald

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I don't own an hose pipe :D

Just a watering can with a detachable spout and it lives perfectly between the 2 gas bottles.

I use it at home to fill up before we leave - 9 cans fills it from empty.

And then just top as required. No problem :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
we too use a hose whenever possible; carrying 4 altogether! but sometimes have to resort to an aquaroll. but of course, there is the "other side" to deal with. we can pump out grey water about 20 metres, so don't often have to get out the roller tank. since we always use our own facilities, we use about 50 litres a day. fortunately the "black" tank lasts at least 2 weeks, so not usually a problem.

des

·
Registered
633 Posts
One of the first things I bought was a flat food grade hose. Used it once. I sometimes use a short hose with a rubber adapter, sometimes a Tesco 5 litre water bottle (they pour well) but usually I just fill up at garages etc. using hoses in situ. I never drink water from the tank anyway.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The Aqua roll I mentioned is last resort, we try and park close enough (pitch) to use a hose (dependant on length of stay) or make sure we are full before pitching but with the kids they think we are constantly plugged in to mains services!!

I don't want to change this thread but is related, waste is just the same issue and although we carry a wheeled hog I thought I would share with you my purchase from Tool Mart.

I purchased a 25m flat blue pipe, I have seen workmen using them when pumping out water from holes etc. The diameter is about 2 to 3 inches, rolls very, very flat but made of very stong runbber -ish stuff.

We then puchased a screwable male/female connector, the male connection perminantly connected to our waste pipe.

So, if I can't drive over a drain but am closer enought to run my 25m blue pipe I simply screw the connected to my waste outlet rollout the pipe.

Very compact and very cheap
Hugh

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.