Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Ducato 2.8JTD Timberland PVC
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't follow this advice to the letter, but generally like to travel for about 6 hours and arrive by 3pm. which is generally early enough to secure a place in an aire.

Will stay for two or three nights if its an interesting town.. otherwise move on the next morning.

The RV 3/3/3 Rule Will Save Your Travel Day..

So what is the 333 rule..

Read here

· Premium Member
29,617 Posts
Good idea. When we were touring Europe I always got the 310 mile drag to Dover out of the way in one thrash then a similar distance the next day then after that it was rare to do more than 100 miles in a day. Often just up to 40 but as the years went on we found ourselves stopping longer and longer in spots. Its very rare now to stop anywhere for just one night or even two. Ive never been that keen on driving the van for long periods of time unless its through the alps or Pyrenees and even then Im just looking forward to getting the bike off and exploring on that.

· Premium Member
26,001 Posts
Agreed ray.

Ray.

· Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Our aim is to get to overnight places between 2-2.30pm latest. When I plan trips 3 hours is the optimum drive time I'll try and build in but this doesn't take into account the slowness of the MH (57mph max for me on MWays, main roads etc); nor stops for coffee, lunch and a pee! This normally adds round an extra hour or so.

Reactions: H1-GBV

· Premium Member
26,001 Posts
The last 10 years of our motor home use we were stopping more often and taking time to appreciate the areas. Being able to stretch and check round the van also.

Ray.

Reactions: barryd

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts

· Premium Member
524 Posts
We'll always try to keep the driving to a minimum, a couple of hours, maybe 3 tops but it doesn't always work out like that. Like other's, it's so we get all afternoon to explore.

We've found in the past that many of the aires we'd aimed to use were full by lunchtime, we've also found in France that many campsites will happily let you in before lunch if they have the space.

· Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Don't try and get to a C&MC site before 1pm as some of them can get quite arsey about it!

· Registered
2014 Autotrail Tribute Sport T615
29 Posts
3/3/2 or 3/3/1 for me most of the time, learnt my lesson many years ago looking for an aire in the dark with a copy of "All the Aires France first edition" and found myself at the back of a block of flats somewhere near Rennes. (luckily found a nice municipal aire in the village down the road at St Just).
last years stops ( 2 months).
Ecoregion Map Atlas Terrestrial plant Screenshot

· Registered
Ducato 2.8JTD Timberland PVC
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3/3/2 or 3/3/1 for me most of the time, learnt my lesson many years ago looking for an aire in the dark with a copy of "All the Aires France first edition" and found myself at the back of a block of flats somewhere near Rennes. (luckily found a nice municipal aire in the village down the road at St Just).
last years stops ( 2 months).
View attachment 99751
that's my kind of touring ...

· Premium Member
12,488 Posts
We tend to use mostly campsites so book ahead. If using an aire we try and get there earlier too.

· Registered
29 Posts
Is that just Google maps you're using Rebbyvid? And if so, how do you get so many stops, and labelled in numerical sequence?
No thats
Caramaps - Annuaire de Campings, Aires de service, Accueil à la ferme.
easy site to use for trips and all the aires i stopped at were listed including reviews.but i also used google maps as i was travelling.
If you click on the places in the left hand column there are pics and reviews

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
Very interesting. The caramaps - can you add only stops that are loaded in the caramaps DB?

I was zooming in n out of the Google map trying to see how you'd done it and saw a Legend button. When I clicked that I could see that you have several layers (which I've never used - presumably there's a tutorial somewhere for that?) and also you've got so many more stops than I can get on G maps - think it runs out of steam after about 10?

Having come out of the layers I can no longer see the button that gave me access to them 🤬

I'd love to be able to produce a similar map.

· Registered
29 Posts
You can add your own on Caramaps, I started to do that on the Europe trip but then found all the stops were on their map and with quite a few reviews, on a trip down to Cornwall i did add mid Devon caravans , Also the starting point has to be a stopover as i did set the start at home but you have to enter details as if its an aire. On the Cornwall trip i did stop at Tewkesbury but the normal stop at Gander lane has no overnight parking signs and the car park in front of Marquis where i did stop is rumoured to be going the same way so i didn't add it and that's why the starting point is Marquis. On google i do run out after so many but i then add a layer , it is a bit out of sync in the listings but when you add driving it links them all up. Sure there is a better way but i have never read the tutorial :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts