Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... hopefully!

This is D-1, the MH is pretty much ready to go and I head for Rosslare tomorrow for the boat to Bilbao on Wednesday.

So please, everyone, start praying now, or crossing all the fingers n toes for no wind or waves in the Bay of Biscay for Wednesday n Thursday! 馃檹 馃

Premium Member
Looking good at present;

Easterly, so off the land, so short fetch and therefore no large nasties. Yes there will be swell, but only just over 1.0 m and you will not notice that.

Have a good trip, keep a lookout for dolphins - very common at present and may well play around the bows of the boat and even larger killer whales - usually solitary but may be seen in packs rarely.

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, I hope I do see some wildlife!

Had a good run down to Rosslare, lovely weather and the Mournes were magnificent. I'm not really a motorway person but it made the journey down very simple indeed. And I've remembered to pay my toll online!

Parked up at Cullerton's bar. Got fish n chips to bring back to the MH. Took about half an hour but I think it must've been waiting on service for 25mins! It's tasty - but not hot!

Just a few mins to the harbour in the morning.

Premium Member
Sometimes a microwave is handy Jean.

Ray.

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overnight was quiet (earplugs!) Must remember next time not to select Rosslare Harbour - turns out it goes to Rosslare Harbour Village so I'd to turn in the parking area for a swanky new development. Boat was almost an hour late in leaving. Calm so far! 馃槈

Premium Member
Quite a theme lately.
A friend of mine was over an hour late departing Plymouth two nights ago and our most recent two departures have both seen an hours delay. Still arrived on time though.

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great trip on the boat, nice n smooth, great night's sleep. Just recording that in case I get the collywobbles next time I'm thinking of taking this route! Apparently a new, big ship is coming on this route in November and running over winter (the present one stops Nov thro March).

Premium Member
Must be great to get away again Jean before the winter weather sets in. Where are you heading initially? South obviously but down the Portuguese coast or direct to the Med?

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I intend spending a bit of time in the Picos until it gets a bit cold then I'll head south into Portugal but I'm thinking west of Portugal rather than the coast which I've done a number of times - magnificent tho it is. That's the 'plan', as far as it goes. But I'd intended turning up to the aire high above Bilbao on the off-chance they'd have space (now they've introduced a book 48hrs in advance edict). I'd put an alternative in to TT just in case. But forgot to reinstate the 1st choice. I didn't notice till I was in a spaghetti of motorway and decided just to rl with it. So now I'm in the aire at Santillana del Mar with a nice view, albeit not as majestic as that of Bilbao. And I have cow and church bells.

What a lovely wee place! Picked up a map from the TO (it's obviously been a long day - it was all she could do to give me the info). Seems a very popular place with quite a few tourists and also on the Camino de Santiago.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Sunlight
Sky Azure Building Neighbourhood Travel

Premium Member
Go girl, what a great blue sky, quite the reverse back here in Norn Iron. :)

Terry

Reactions: jiwawa

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super morning in Altamira museum, with a 'copy' of the caves and their artwork from c.24,000yrs ago.
Brown Wood World Art Rectangle

Apparently tho they have most drawings of bison, they ate very little of it (mostly wild goat). 3km back to town but all downhill! Divested of fleece n vest on the way up! Weather mostly grey but warm.

Also checked out the Diocesan museum - lots to see, including 2 Virgin Mary's suckling the child (both 16th century which quite surprised me). I got annoyed, as always, at the expense of silverware and priestly garments paid for, no doubt, by the poor. There was a very strong connection with Mexico and Peru.
Sculpture Art Statue Metal Wood

Judas - very evocative.

Furniture Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Hardwood

12 keys n 12 pipes - I guess that was for the old chants.

Had a fabulous lunch that involved fabadas soup n pig's cheeks (that's a 1st!)
Food Tableware Table Stemware Plate

I asked for a small portion as my entr茅e!

It's a very busy wee place but strangely doesn't feel overcrowded. After almost 11km n a lot of standing in museums my hips are objecting!
Sky Cloud Window Neighbourhood Travel
Sky Cloud Window House Facade
Cloud Plant Sky Property Window
Sky Building Cloud Window House
Car Vehicle Tire Umbrella Wheel

I thought that last was an upmarket version of the white plastic chair at the end of the side road but it turned out to belong to the parking attendant - and she didn't miss anyone trying to leave without paying the parking fee!

Premium Member
I wondered why I鈥檓 not getting notification from your thread Jean, it鈥檚 because I鈥檓 only reading, hopefully I will be notified now.
Once again you are finding interesting places, must admit not what I do, my Motley would be very bored 馃槦

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my Motley would be very bored
Yes, my kids would have been keen for me to have the company of a dog (and I would also enjoy the company) but my style of motorhoming would be pretty boring for a wee dog!

Today the weather was very grey and, at times, very wet. But I got the wetgear on n down to see the Collegiate Church of Santa Juliana. It was originally a monastery from 9th century, became a church in 11th C. Nice external architecture, imposing church and a cloister that housed a completely hand-made depiction of scenes from the life of Christ, some of it animated. It was a massive display and a huge undertaking.

I was unable to empty my loo before leaving - you had to scan your ticket but mine had nothing scannable on it. As I understood it, water and emptying was included in the price (of 鈧12) tho electricity was an extra 鈧4.

Art Landscape Event Visual arts History
Plant Textile Wall Art Urban design
Cloud Sky Building Plant Window
Sky Jeans Brick Brickwork Stairs

Made my way to San Vicente de la Barquera. I'd to choose between campsite for 鈧18 or aire for 鈧10 (both without electricity) so I came to the aire. Have an open view over the green area the surfers park on with the beach just beyond. So many surfers!
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Sunlight
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Plant
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The day promised to be pretty much rained off but turned out so much better. The original town seems to have been on the high narrow ground between the castle and the impressive Santa Maria Church at the top - it has heavy oak floors in 'slabs' to facilitate burials beneath the floor. There's a pretty estuary with lots of little boats tied up as well as a working port. I climbed to the lighthouse (inaccessible) which might have been a mistake as I was still wearing my wetgear trousers (admittedly with only knickers beneath but that meant I couldn't peel them off when the sun came out full force!) Cloud Sky Water Sunlight Beach
Sky Cloud Plant Building Window
Brown Wood Road surface Flooring Floor
Window Architecture Brick Brickwork Font
Religious item Art Building Facade Symmetry
Sky Plant Building House Facade
Building Architecture Interior design Religious item Wood
Cloud Sky Water Water resources Daytime

Premium Member
You visit so many churches Jean, are you religious?

I noticed this morning all your pictures have an explanation of what they are, do you add that or is it some magic your camera has? Just looked again it is definitely computer speak not your words.

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't really like the term religious Jan. Pre-covid I was a 'religious' church-goer but I've not felt comfortable about going back to what was a very packed church. I've found over the years that I get quite exercised about the fanciful and expensive decoration in many churches, often provided by the poor of the parish in years gone by. So I'm not fond of 'the establishment'. But I do visit because there's always something of interest.

I had intended heading up into the Picos today but there was a lot of mist n cloud IP there so came along to Llanes. Parked in public carpark. There IS a barriered camper place beside me but there were so ma y negative comments about not being able to get out, or not being able to empty the toilet until you'd been there 24hrs... ??? There's also nicer looking parking behind me but it's on sandy gravel n that makes a right mess in the van so happy where I am.

Llanes is another lovely wee spot with some impressive buildings and even their everyday buildings are attractive.

I got stopped by the police today. But only to let a road race thro! The leaders were a full 2 mins ahead of the pack.

Coming home I saw a woman feeding a crow in her garden. Turns out it arrived as a tiny fledgling 2yrs ago n she's been it's Mum ever since. It followed her into the house when she went to get some food n it wasn't one bit bothered by her wee dog.
Cloud Wheel Tire Car Sky
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Tree Wheel
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Blue
Cloud Sky Building Window Wheel
Cloud Sky Window City Facade
Cloud Sky Plant Blue Azure
Plant Bird Grass Road surface Sidewalk
Sky Cloud Road surface Asphalt Tree

1 - 20 of 20 Posts