Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone else get fed up of the niggles in a motorhome, don't get me wrong Swift have been brilliant and very helpful with our little niggles...........but I have to admit from reading these forums etc and our own personal experience and also that of my friend Sonesta, it more or less seems to be on the whole that there is always something to be having to book into a dealers to get checked out.

I suppose it isn't so bad if the dealer is just down the road, but when you are looking at a few hours round trip with fuel etc to get the MH checked out and then probably having to re-book in yet again once parts are ordered etc it does get a bit tiresome.

Oh well thats my Monday moan on a Tuesday :lol:

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I hate things going wrong in the motorhome or anywhere else - at the moment Lloyds TSB Share Dealing is still knackered from last week. But in the motorhome as I am useless at mending things and invariably making matters worse if I get stuck in, it is very frustrating.

Last year and bearing in mind I only used it for two holidays of a two weeks I had the following.

All the gaslow gas came out on its own. Two full tanks emptied themselves over a period of an hour and I was driving around I presume a mobile bomb. Problem was manufacturing defects common in the older type of Gaslow.

SOG started to work only but adjusting one's buttock on the seat which had an on\off affect depening which bum cheek you appled weight too. I finally mended it which then required the bit I mended to be replaced by a new bit.

The water heater and blow heater made the wooden door red hot which was a known issue and a modification was made but of course it could have set fire to my van or blowin up the escaping gas.

Wheel wobble caused by green gunk is now a feature. No one said anything about this was a likely thing to happen but after two independant wheel wobble checks it is still there. Remedy to pay for gunk to be removed.

Flat batteries each time I wanted to use it caused by a broken battery connection which took several visits to Chelston who tried many things except checking the battery connection. This was finally resolved by Vanbitz who also found that the battery was on its way out probably due to the continuing flat\full experience. Chelston resolved this under guarantee by putting in another but new defective battery. All in all some months of hassle for just a batter connector.

At the moment, I have checked and John Cross has checked eveything and it is all systems go but if I have another bout of irritating issues then I shall part with Porky end of season and back to renting villas\mobile homes etc which I prefer to live in although I prefer Porky to travel in.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pusser aw we actually prefer the MH to renting places, esp as you know 'who has slept in the beds etc' :wink: and you have everything with you.

But I must admit it is this flipping checking in at dealers etc which is really annoying :roll: I know Sonesta had a trip to check out a problem on their MH last week and have had to bring the MH back whilst the part is ordered, even though Sonesta had spoken to autotrail and advised the people doing the repair that they were pretty sure what the fault was, and what part was needed.

Apart from the cost of the fuel it is the time involved too.

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
I must just be one of the lucky ones then.
Apart from the one obligatary breakdown, I have had no problems with the installed equipment. Never a flat battery, gaslowe works fine and is leak free. Even the awning and Residence works great. Maybe, and no disrespect intended, its how we treat our motorhomes that makes the difference.
I always keep in mind that these vehicles are built to save weight so there is a certain 'flimsiness' built in. Systems need the occasional check and to be frequently used. They seem to get far more problems if left to stand idle for months on end.

Just my observed feelings.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from Nette and we feel the same way too. We love our Auto Trail and it is a beautiful vehicle and we are very happy with it but yes, we too get fed up with all the little niggles and minor faults that constantly seem to crop up. Even with our last motorhome; a Swift Kontiki, which again we bought from new, we had the same kind of little problems and it was regularly back at the dealers having some kind of warrranty work carried out. 8O Goodness knows why this is the case but like you say, by the time you take it back to the dealers for diagnosis and then have to wait for spare parts to be ordered and then back again to have the repair carried out, you have spent a small fortune on fuel not to say wasted valuable time that could have been spent enjoying your vehicle and being away having fun! :cry:

Our latest problem (apart from the fridge light one) is we cannot open the habitation door from the outside! We took it on a 80 mile round trip to camper UK last week to be looked at and now we are awaiting the spare parts to come in to fix the problem. Our heating system has been playing up also and the gel coat on the bodywork is cracking in places!!!!! We have had 2 Heki lights replaced plus an interior door and a new burner had to be fiited in the oven! There have been other little niggles too and all this in a van that cost £56,500 and is only 18 months old! :roll:

Like I say we love our motorhome and are in noo rush to change it or anything and to be fair none of the problems have been serious or major but nevertheless, it is still frustrating and means your motorhome is out of action every time it goes in to be rectified! If we ever change our vehicle in the future, I think we will look at buying a German model next time as they seem to be built to last and everyone comments and remarks on the quality of their builds.

Keep smiling Nette and at least Swift seem to be ready and willing to help with any problems and I wish Auto Trail responded the same way. :D

Have a nice day.

Sue

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spacerunner said:
Apart from the one obligatary breakdown, I have had no problems with the installed equipment. Never a flat battery, gaslowe works fine and is leak free. Even the awning and Residence works great. Maybe, and no disrespect intended, its how we treat our motorhomes that makes the difference.
I always keep in mind that these vehicles are built to save weight so there is a certain 'flimsiness' built in. Systems need the occasional check and to be frequently used. They seem to get far more problems if left to stand idle for months on end.

Hi I must admit that I think that your post is a little unfair.........our MH is our pride and joy and is treated as such, the fact that the fridge stops working, or you have a door that Swift are aware of problems with and needs a new one to be fair isn't how it is treated...........recently we also had to have it in to Fiat for a new wing mirror as the original one kept folding in when travelling in wind esp in France etc again no fault of ours.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cross fingers but we haven't had any problems so far that have caused frustration, into our 4th summer.

Total =

1 Gas pipe with perished seal - diagnosed and replaced there and then.
1 failed regulator - as above
1 broken rear door lock - as above
1 control panel - took a few months to arrive from Adria but it wasn't a big issue - just battery indicator was sticking

It does help that our dealer is less than 2 miles from our house, only the control panel required booking in(even then we made it at the same time as the hab check).

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Spacerunner said:

Hi Spacerunner,

You are indeed one of the lucky ones and I hope your good luck continues. I just hope that fate doesn't decide to repay you back now and have you posting that "You spoke too soon!" 8O

As for how folk treat their motorhomes and your suggestion that maybe some people do not look after their vehicles correctly then I too like Briarose, find your comments a little unfair! We certainly look after ours I can assure you and we treat it with kid gloves and oodles of TLC! Also, ours is used all year around, not just in the summer as I know Briarose's is too. Although we are not fulltimers, we use our vehicles in all seasons, whether it be autumn, winter, spring or summer and in the winter we usually treat ours to a few weeks running around Europe!

Sue

·
Registered
757 Posts
Actually I was just about to start a thread on a similar theme.

Perhaps some of you are already aware of my previous posts on the quality of Motohomes so you may appreciate where I coming from since I've had a large number of unnecessary problems from day one.

I was going to ask if anyone goes on a trip without anything at all failing or going wrong. I always have some problem or other. Only just this February I eventually got all my previous faults fixed (under warranty) - or so I thought.

Having just come back from another 4 week trip around the Highlands and Islands I have to say this was the least problematical trip, with only three issues.

1. The Electric Heater stopped again. I previously reported this and had it checked but No Fault Found. Admittedly its intermittent but this time I found the fault - a bad connection to the Consumer Unit. I just needed to push it home correctly.

2. The door blind came away again. I had to re-seat the whole frame.

3. The retaining clip on one Bug Screen broke. I'll have to fix this with something stronger than the little plastic bit.

While these could have been fixed under the supposedly 'free warranty' there is still a considerable cost to me.

Yes, MHs are built with weight and space constraints and yes I treat it very carefully because I know this but I'm still of the opinion that not enough thought goes into the implementation of some of the ideas and how they will be used in real life.

Colin

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
2point said:
It does help that our dealer is less than 2 miles from our house .
Hi 2point

I think you have highlighted one of the more significant factors which generate frustration and even anger when things go wrong.

It's entirely up to the individual of course, but I can't help wondering if it's wise (as some folk obviously do) to tour the shows beating down dealers for the last fiver, then purchasing from the cheapest . . . who is situated 250 miles from home!! 8O 8O

My first priority was to find a good dealer not far from home, and I'm damn glad I did. We have had no major problems, but a few niggles that have had to go back to the dealer - but he's only 25 miles away, so no great hardship or expense.

I really can't understand why some people moan so loudly about having to make very long journeys back to their dealer, when they must have taken that possiblility (probability more like!!) into consideration when deciding to deal with them??

Sorry if this sounds unsympathetic, but you pays yer money and makes yer choice - and unfortunately for some, you has to live with it afterwards. :cry:

Dave

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zebedee said:
2point said:
It does help that our dealer is less than 2 miles from our house .
Hi 2point

I think you have highlighted one of the more significant factors which generate frustration and even anger when things go wrong.

It's entirely up to the individual of course, but I can't help wondering if it's wise (as some folk obviously do) to tour the shows beating down dealers for the last fiver, then purchasing from the cheapest . . . who is situated 250 miles from home!! 8O 8O

My first priority was to find a good dealer not far from home, and I'm damn glad I did. We have had no major problems, but a few niggles that have had to go back to the dealer - but he's only 25 miles away, so no great hardship or expense.

I really can't understand why some people moan so loudly about having to make very long journeys back to their dealer, when they must have taken that possiblility (probability more like!!) into consideration when deciding to deal with them??

Sorry if this sounds unsympathetic, but you pays yer money and makes yer choice - and unfortunately for some, you has to live with it afterwards. :cry:

Dave
Hi Dave unfortunately when you live where we do the nearest dealers are the ones we bought from, we certainly didn't go to any shows or worry about saving a fiver :eek: and guess who are nearest dealers actually are ? anyone that lives near to large towns etc with a MH dealer there is actually very lucky indeed.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
[quote="Pixelpusher"

I was going to ask if anyone goes on a trip without anything at all failing or going wrong. I always have some problem or other. Only just this February I eventually got all my previous faults fixed (under warranty) - or so I thougt

Colin[/quote]
Hi Colin,
So sorry to hear that you have had so many problems, but you did ask, and apart from an exhaust problem last year we have had no problems at all on our van in nearly three years MHing. I consider that we have been VERY lucky as we bought it on an impulse, knew nothing about MHs when we did, and did no research at all before buying it. It is an eight year old Autosleepers so maybe it says a lot for the Autosleepers quality.
Hope that things improve because if I was having that many problems I would be getting a bit ticked off and would be reconsidering. It must surely take away from the relaxed nature of MHing.
Good luck
Ca

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Briarose said:
Hi Dave unfortunately when you live where we do the nearest dealers are the ones we bought from, we certainly didn't go to any shows or worry about saving a fiver :eek: and guess who are nearest dealers actually are ? anyone that lives near to large towns etc with a MH dealer there is actually very lucky indeed.
Not a lot of option in your situation then Nette! :cry: :cry:

You know what I mean though, and unfortunately it's a temptation that is so easy to fall into during the excitement of closing a deal after hours of traipsing round a show. :?

Just thought it was worth highlighting again for those who are fortunate enough to have a choice. People seem to fall into the trap quite often, and it's one major frustration that can be avoided in many cases. :wink:

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Hi

All the niggles do definately tak the full enjoyment out of motorhoming for me and it's always at the back of my mind of what will be next. I went for a burstner because I thought I was buying quality. My thinking couldn't have been further from the truth.

I have loads of problems with my burstner, infact it has been off the road for repairs and fixes for a total of nearly three months in the 18 months that I have owned it, 8O and I find burstner a nightmare to deal with direct. Camper UK have been brill but, it's a 280 mile round journey for me every time I go back up there. It gets very boring aftera while. :(

steve

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zebedee said:
Briarose said:
Not a lot of option in your situation then Nette! :cry: :cry:

You know what I mean though, and unfortunately it's a temptation that is so easy to fall into during the excitement of closing a deal after hours of traipsing round a show. :?

Just thought it was worth highlighting again for those who are fortunate enough to have a choice. People seem to fall into the trap quite often, and it's one major frustration that can be avoided in many cases. :wink:

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave with us we chose a model we wanted purely on viewing a Bolero that was owned by the guy that we hired a broads cruiser from, when the time was right and we were ready to change the caravan for a MH we just happened to be lucky that Brownhills had one in stock..........we popped over and did the deal in under two hours, not even looking around at any other models as we just fell in love with that particular model and felt it was just what we wanted.

Must admit I have just had yet another good result from Swift so if and when we ever do change it will almost 100% be another Swift.

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
Sonesta and Briarose, go back and read my post more carefully.
I'm not being unfair to anyone! Just voicing my observations.
And as for the thinly veiled 'serves you right if things go wrong' attitude. Thanks a bundle!!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Not a single problem in 7 years of ownership apart from a new set of brake pads recently. Owning a motorhome is joyous indeed. I am touching wood though as reading the threads on here I know its only a matter of time.

I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with Fiat. I know if I had one I would get rid just like the Fiat car I owned which was an absolute disaster.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Zeb....

Buying from a local dealer is perhaps advantageous but what happens if you move out of the area. Its unreasonable to have to go back to the original dealer all the time.

What about those folks who full time?

Colin

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Pixelpusher said:
Zeb....

Buying from a local dealer is perhaps advantageous but what happens if you move out of the area. Its unreasonable to have to go back to the original dealer all the time.

What about those folks who full time?

Colin
Hi Colin

I wasn't of course suggesting that it can work for everyone, but reading through so many posts on here does suggest that many members have regretted not spending a few quid more to buy locally.

All I was doing was highlighting a pit that some folk seem to fall headlong into.

Worth mentioning don't you think?

Dave

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.