Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a rather nice weekend in Clitheroe last week. A nice campsite with the caravan & camping fraternity even with the tents & caravans. Funny how us motorhomers seem to gravitate to each other where ever we are. There were a good few of us.
Anyway, out for the day Sunday to climb the big hill called Pendle.
Left our hook-up out as normal together with our step,mat & sign to say the pitch was taken & gues what? Some light fingered person or persons unknown lifted our hook up cable & made off. Left everything else. Someone heard some talk about "oh look, they have left this behind, we had better hand it in to the office" Good thinking! Our cable was German with German two pin connectors on a reel with two connectors at each end for the plugs & sockets
We have stayed on hundreds of sites with no problems but this was the first time on a camping & caravan (the friendly club) site. The manager was very upset & lent us a cable for the night, but it has left a nasty taste in the mouth to think fellow campers of whatever persuasion could steal from a fellow camper.
We rarely use hook ups but the battery needed a charge so there you are.
Off to Holland next week so dont expect any bother there
Keep an eye out for a black hook up reel on your travels, who knows, it might be mine.
Friar :)

· Registered
12,963 Posts
What a sad story Friar. We all tend to believe that our things are safe on a campsite and indeed most of the time they are, but it needs something like your theft to remind us that simply towing a van does not make people honest.

If, as well as making our vans like a mini-Fort Knox we also have to mark our accessories or take them off with us......well, it will be a backward step and take some of the the pleasure out of camping.

Hope it did not spoil your holiday ?

G.

· Registered
167 Posts
Theiving Gits

Human nature. We seem to always have a percentage that want whats yours. Then their's some that just want to damage whats yours.

Then there is the percentage that want to desecrate childrens graves. Just heard it on the new at Bolton.

If I had my way flogging would be brought back.

IanI

· Registered
12,963 Posts
I wonder why the person who heard the thieves talking about "handing things into the office" didn't question why someone should leave the hook up lead plus, step, mat and pitch-occupied notice as well ? Why didn't they comment on this or challenge these people ?

Would we have done it ? are we- as has been said before- too reserved to make a fuss ?

G

· Registered
1,592 Posts
Oh so sorry to hear that. The worst I can remember on a CCC site in kendle was our hook up being pulled out leaving us with a defrosted fridge & a mess.
In Portugal once I can remember our son leaving his purse on the table unattended & that webt walkies.

I wont be leaving anything out in future ie chairs & table under van..

Motorhomer

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Remember the head of the youth justice board said over the weekend.
"they shouldn't be referred to as yobs" is it because they will become upset and traumatised-I don't think so, perhaps it is to reduce the opportunity for them to claim trauma injuries. I call them thieving little B******s. :evil:

What do you call someone who drives at 160 mph in a built up area?
A police officer trying out his car. God knows what would the result have been if he had hit something or worse someone, was this authorised? How can you expect respect when the upholders of our laws break them themselves and claim a 'legitimate' reason?

· Registered
12,963 Posts
True bigfoot. It's very rare to hear the words "I'm sorry. I did it. I was wrong."

It's so rare that if it happens in a school it takes all the wind out of your sails and you are left ( almost) speechless !

G

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thieves

Thanks everybody for your sympathy and learning the salutary lesson, the latest on the saga is that the CCC have been on the phone offering sympathy, but at least they did phone which maybe shows they do care.Bad publicity is not what they want.
Anyway, off to Holland Sunday with my new hook-up.
Friar

· Registered
699 Posts
After losing the bits off my van last week it was a topic for discussion at work. After the hanging, drawing and quartering we became more serious and decided that having any miscreants scraping chewing gum of the pavement in the main shopping areas on a saturday dressed in highly coloured overalls and being kicked by the shoppers as they went passed should deter anyone.
Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.