Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time, the 'full' indicator light on my Thetford C200 cassette toilet has not been working.

I'm aware from previous reading that it is operated by a magnetic switch via a magnetised float within the cassette. I'd also read that it was possible to dislodge this float during vigorous rinsing (which I do) and that it could be a p*g to reseat it.

I've just cleaned the cassete using Thetford cleaner (another post on here somewhere on that) which I find works exteremely well, and decided to 'have a go'.

If I opened the blade at the top of the cassette, I could cleary see the (white) float mechanism hanging straight down. It would also rise (pivot) as the fluid level increased, but I was confused as it's position didn't seem to be in line with where the magnetic switch is in the cassete housing. (It's a little black rectangular bit with two wires attached on the LH side of the housing, and can be tested with a magnet!)

My suspicions were further aroused by there being a 'flat' on the side of the cassette, roughly where the switch in the housing is, but the float wasn't! It looked as though that is where the float should move, and it was pivoting in the opposite direction.

I found that pushing the white float in the direction of the flat 'snapped' it into place against some sort of detent, and now everything is OK (and I can't clearly see the float now).

If your light isn't working, and you can see the float through the blade opening, it's possibly worth a try. Something I thought was going to be difficult was in fact a five second job.

.........now wash your hands....... (and arm) 8O

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Useful knowledge but not for me.
We never look for the 'full' indicator light as I prefer to empty the toilet daily even though I know it will go 48 hours+ with just the 2 of us.

I'm never certain thet we'll find somewhere to empty it 'tomorrow'. There have been ocassions when we've had to go off route to find an aire after we've overnighted with no nearby facilities.

Probably costs no more to empty daily as you don't need the same amount of toilet fluid and it's also much easier on the back! :(

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
RobinHood said:
Fo

If your light isn't working, and you can see the float through the blade opening, it's possibly worth a try. Something I thought was going to be difficult was in fact a five second job.

.........now wash your hands....... (and arm) 8O
Hi

Call for protective gloves or something like that I think would be a good idea.

Motorhomer

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
autostratus said:
Useful knowledge but not for me.
We never look for the 'full' indicator light as I prefer to empty the toilet daily even though I know it will go 48 hours+ with just the 2 of us.

I'm never certain thet we'll find somewhere to empty it 'tomorrow'. There have been ocassions when we've had to go off route to find an aire after we've overnighted with no nearby facilities.

Probably costs no more to empty daily as you don't need the same amount of toilet fluid and it's also much easier on the back! :(
Hi Autostratus.

We usually empty daily and always before departing if we have used a site. We have managed 4 days & nights but that is away from the van during the day so obviously taking advantage of facilities elswhere

We also have a sog so no added expense just a bit of extra excersise walking to the disposal point.

Motorhomer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
autostratus said:

:(
4 of us though, and the smaller capacity of the C200 vs the old bench type doesn't help. :(

The level of squeamishness about inserting one's hand is interesting. Frankly, I find putting rubber gloves on more trouble than its worth. Taking them off and dealing with them after use is more messy than a good scrub down with disinfectant.

After all, I did empty it and wash it out first :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had the same problem myself a couple of years ago, but my float fell right of.
After cleaning and removing covers etc I could not find where it went, my next step was to borrow my brother in laws cassete, empty and clean then explore to find where it fitted. after a bit of a struggle it clipped in place.
Then to reassemble both, job done.
Eddie

:edfirst: :edfirst: :edfirst: :edfirst:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
RobinHood said:
autostratus said:

:(
4 of us though, and the smaller capacity of the C200 vs the old bench type doesn't help. :(

The level of squeamishness about inserting one's hand is interesting. Frankly, I find putting rubber gloves on more trouble than its worth. Taking them off and dealing with them after use is more messy than a good scrub down with disinfectant.

Mmm

I would just pull the glove off turning it inside out and bin em

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
RobinHood said:

I spent the greater part of my working life managing hospital laundries for the NHS.
In the great variety of 'things' which come in to the laundry with the dirty linen which has to be sorted and classified before washing, faeces fall into the lower category of objectionables.
I have absolutely no qualms about cleaning out our cassette especially as I know where the little brown jobs have come from. :)

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
Personally I've never seen the point of the light. we have one and a spare as it were. It works on one and not the other. :)

I judge the time by peering down the hole. Doesn't everyone?

Dick

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,865 Posts
Glandwr said:
Personally I've never seen the point of the light. we have one and a spare as it were. It works on one and not the other. :)

I judge the time by peering down the hole. Doesn't everyone?

Dick
Those of a delicate nature don't look at the jobbies to see if the pile is getting too high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.