Motorhome Facts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We only just got our old motorhome the other day (new to us)
It's a 1993 Fiat Ducato AutoTrail Mohawk

The blade was stuck and wouldn't turn, so i took it all apart and gave it a good clean and put olive oil all over the moving parts, left it for a while, wiped the excess off and now it's working lovely.

BUT, the next bit i'm stuck on is that it isn't flushing.

I don't actually have much idea of how it works, as i've reading conflicting web pages about fuses and pumps etc.

As far as i can make out, there is no water tank, so it must draw water direct from the main motorhome tank.

I've taken the cassette out and put a mirror and torch in there and can't see any little black fuse holder, it all looks in very good nick.

What can i check?
Is there a pump with an impeller?
where are the fuses (if any)?

Any help to this newbie would be greatfully recieved.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Buddy

I am no expert on toilets but when we had a caravan (around the year of your motorhome there was a hand pump to flush to the side of the bowl? Are you sure you don't have top tank filled from the exterior access door?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, def no top water tank...!

There are quite a few wires in the area where the cassette sits, so i assumed that they may have something to do with an electric flush

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
pull out the toilet roll holder, the pump sits under there its held down with a screw you can get one at most caravan shops, cut the wires, you join the wires with connectors you get with the new pump and then heat the sleeving with a hairdryer to seal the joint.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sideways said:
pull out the toilet roll holder, the pump sits under there its held down with a screw you can get one at most caravan shops, cut the wires, you join the wires with connectors you get with the new pump and then heat the sleeving with a hairdryer to seal the joint.
I may be being very thick here, but, as there is no flush water holding tank, i assumed there would be no pump.

Can some ome post a picture of the pump to confirm what it looks like please.

Many thanks for all your help so far

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
some campers flush from the main water tank(mine does) i dont know how to post links but if you Google thetford you should find a picture. its just a small white cylinder with a spigot on one end.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
There are 2 basic types of flush
One has its own header tank which is filled either from an external hatch or a filler funnel which is swivelled out above the cassette, This type can have flush additive added and has its own pump operated via the flush switch.
The other type uses the motorhomes fresh water tank to flush, On this type a solenoid (magnetic valve) operates via the flush switch and the drop in pressure kicks in the fresh water pump

Is your toilet a bench fixed type or a swivel bowl type

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi

On a C3 the water comes from the main tank.

You don't say if, when you press the flush button, you can hear the pump working in the main tank ( i.e. it's a water supply problem) OR you can't hear the pump (i.e. electrical problem).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thetford C3 models are connected to the vehicle's water tank.

Once you have established if your problem is with the water system or the electrics you may find that the information available from Thetfords web site is valuable.

There is an owners manual

There are installation instructions

There is repair information

There are maintenance tips

There is a spare parts list for when all else fails.

Oh, and citric acid crystals (powder) from a supermarket or fleabay mixed with water makes a superb cleaner for the bottom tank. Mix it, pour it in, shake it then leave it to work.
It doesn't end up smelling of roses, but at least (mine) looked and smelt clean.

Regards ... LeoK

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, no mine has no holding tank, and as such must be fed from the main water tank. It's the bench type.

I assume i'm looking under the toilet roll holder.

There is what appears to be a black electrical connecter, with spades on it, this looks snugly connected, could be a relay. Slightly to the left of that there are some hoses. I struggled to get my head at the right angle to see what else there is. I'm going to take a few photos asap and post them on here, but in the meantime, going on the info on the Thetford site:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/web/show/id=51498/langid=42

It doesn't actually mention a pump for the C3, so i had assumed it was gravity fed from the main tank!

However it DOES mention a 3amp fuse and despite using mirrors and a torch, i cannot for the life of me see it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I,m sorry i misled you, the instructions for getting at the pump apply to a bench type with its own flush tank. Obviousl as the O P says without a flush tank the vehicles main pump operates the flush.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sideways said:
I,m sorry i misled you, the instructions for getting at the pump apply to a bench type with its own flush tank. Obviousl as the O P says without a flush tank the vehicles main pump operates the flush.
Well thats the strangest thing, as my per my previous post. Iassumed it was gravity fed. As the main pump (located in bottom of wardobe) only has
2 x red and 2 x blue hoses, 1 set each for handbasin and shower, i didn't notice any other hose which would feed the toilet flush .

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the bit where the blade control slides in underneath. I'm assuming that the little metal sticky out bit is a contact bit that makes sure you don't flush the toilet whilst the cassette is not in.

Again it all looks in good condition

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,807 Posts
Hello, I know this has been discussed, but we had a Mohawk with a bench type loo and it had a seperate tank for flushing the toilet. I can not remember if I could see the tank but I am sure it was filled from inside the toilet compartment. Of course different builds of the same model do vary, Regards, Alan.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
erneboy said:
Hello, I know this has been discussed, but we had a Mohawk with a bench type loo and it had a seperate tank for flushing the toilet. I can not remember if I could see the tank but I am sure it was filled from inside the toilet compartment. Of course different builds of the same model do vary, Regards, Alan.
Oh, Wow, I haven't found anybody else that has ever heard of this model.
Have you got any info or brochures that you could pass on.

I've got another picture that shows the compartment itself, yes i know it's rusty but i'm going to dig it all out and replace it with something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Leok has already posted links giving info

Have you located the fuse
it is either a blade fuse or a screw capped 20mm glass fuse

1 - 20 of 41 Posts