Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have limescale on the rubber seal of my Thetford cassette - also limescale inside the cassette. How do I remove this please. Can I use vinegar on the rubber ? I am currently in Spain south of Barcelona going North and not sure where my next dealer is ?

Captain Bligh :brave:

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Thetford sell a product for removing scale from their cassette toilets. I would have thought this would be available from good camping shops in Spain. I would be wary of using anything else unless you are confident it will not damage the seals.

peedee

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You can use vinegar or try bleach. If all fails you can use a screwdriver (I had to) As long as you wash it thoroughly afterwards. Thetford recommend you change the seal every 12 months and they sell a lubricant for the seal. We use a smear of vaseline every few months

Hope this helps

Enjoy the rest of your stay

Pete

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I clean the seal by removing it, washing it under a tap, and light scrubbing with a nail brush or similar. Because it is flexible most limescale will crack off as you wash it, I should think.

I use olive oil to lubricate it as suggested by Thetford as an alternative to their own seal lubricant. You should be able to find some olive oil where you are. :D Some lubricants ( and I thought that Vaseline was one, but someone uses it! ) will damage the seal, possibly causing it to swell.

Harvey

·
Registered
753 Posts
Vaseline is oil based, so hould damage it i would have thought - but depends if people have been using for years then maybe could prove us wrong?

Olive oil is good! It is like sellotape - can use it for everything, and it is sicilian!

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Hi

We have found that the Thetford lubricant is much better than olive oil and it might be more expensive but you don't need much. I am also using their de-scaler as I type, the downside is you are supposed to leave it in the tank for 16 hours. This is not terribly practical if you are wild camping!

P&L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.