Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I'd have an advantage selling Herman in Europe (being a LHD and still in its original state (headlights/speedo etc). My T625 was built in France and they are quite popular there.

My son has an address and bank account in Belgium, so that is one requirement I know of.

Can anyone tell me -

Will UK DVLA have an issue with exporting it?

What are requirements to register in Belgium?

What would be the issue with then selling in France?

Assuming Brexit hasn't happened, cos who knows what will be the position after Brexit?

Any tips, anyone? Thank you in anticipation.:smile2::kiss::kiss:

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
Didn't realise Hymers were ever built in France................learn something new every day

·
Premium Member
27,822 Posts
Viv, being LHD you can sell anywhere you want. But the French will not buy any vehicle not having a French registration. But with a French reg it would command more money.
No problem with DVLC to export but the problem could be the import into another country. I don't know about Belgium but France needs a customs clearance and thats all.

Ray.

Reactions: HermanHymer

·
Premium Member
27,822 Posts
What a backward country that France sometimes is :roll:
Why, wot now? Having brought several American RVs and a car into UK, the hoops I had to go through were just as complicated.

But in a way these are some of the things that make France endearing. Quality of life by NOT having 7 day opening and a pace of life reminiscent of UK 40 years ago.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
It looks a nice van and LHD will have no trouble selling here so I would do that, it will be much easier.

You will have to be around for viewings etc and when viewing potential buyers would probably like to see an address, same as here, I think sell here as it will be much easier and if its in good condition and priced correctly should sell quickly.

Join Hymer owners group on facebook and stick it on there for starters.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How you're not giving up Viv? I'm still waiting to catch up with you somewhere!!
No, thinking of selling to downsize to a VW Transporter model. Herman's 14 years old and still in good nick, but want to dispose of it while it still has some value. Yes, me too!! It seems like you're always going in the opposite direction to me. (I haven't taken it personally!):grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Herman was named 'Herman the German' at the get-go and then I read the little metal plate on the side it says "Made in France" so he was re-christened Herman Hymer. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this range were built at the Eriba factory, but that was just hearsay, so I'm open to correction. They only made them 2002-2004 I think. Mine was first registered in Germany then imported into UK at 6 months. This version is the "Tramp". Look it's got your name on the door, said my sister, who didn't live to repeat that crack! (Only joking, as was she.)

Yes it's a sturdy, well made van with good quality fittings, still in good nick. I've looked after it. 4 belts/4 berth and all mod cons. I love it but my business brain overrides sentimentality.

I'm selling my house in SA, then I'll be returning to UK, hopefully in the spring at which point I'll get onto the business of selling.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,422 Posts
We actively looked for a LHD Hymer when we were in the market for a moho. We wanted to (and did) tour Europe and so decided that LHD would make life a lot easier. Never regretted it
That was our thinking too Pat back in 2008. We thought we'd spend most of our time on the continent, and indeed we did.

When I came to change the MH on my own I decided things wouldn't change so I went for LHD again. Very happy with it. Though I'm just starting my first UK trip with it so we'll see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never found it a problem with LHD in UK. The only time you have a bit of an issue is if you come to an intersection that curves left. Luckily my kitchen window on the right is strategically placed for line of sight

Knowing the impatience of some UK drivers, I slow down well ahead as I approach the intersection with traffic from the right so I can see and judge the gap knowing it's free when I lose line of sight. No problem except for those who hoot at me for going too slowly. Thus I avoid rush hour whenever possible or swear at them in a most unladylike fashion, being on my own I can do that!

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,422 Posts
I never found it a problem with LHD in UK. The only time you have a bit of an issue is if you come to an intersection that curves left. Luckily my kitchen window on the right is strategically placed for line of sight
I had a problem with that coming to Edinburgh yesterday. I had to get out of my seat! Must leave the blinds open! Tho I have ordered a rear view mirror a Swan neck - see how that does.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes they have their uses!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.