Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am with Plusnet at the moment which are very good and I am using a Neatgear router which does not always provide a good connection for my better half using her laptop at the other side of our property. I have been told that BT customer service has improved and I am considering moving over onto their option 1 if the hub they provide is really good as they say I see they include free WI FI minutes so would it be advisable to purchase a dongle for the wifes laptop at the same time. Speed does not come into my broadband connect because I will never get more than .5 MB where I live. Thanks. S.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The improved range of the BT Home Hub 2 is only achieved if your PC is using the latest "N" type wireless adapter.

Most existing PC's only use the B or G type. If you do convert to BT then make sure you buy an N type wireless dongle for your wife's PC

·
Registered
2 Posts
philoaks said:
The improved range of the BT Home Hub 2 is only achieved if your PC is using the latest "N" type wireless adapter.

Most existing PC's only use the B or G type. If you do convert to BT then make sure you buy an N type wireless dongle for your wife's PC
You can achieve the same by changing your Netgear Router for an equivalent type "N". Be aware that the stand has only just been ratified and also that there are considerable variations in performance. This would mean that you do not have to go through the hassle of changing service provider.

Both the Cisco (Linksys) and Belkin N standard routers have been reported as having good distance connectivity.

You should check sites such as pcpro.co.uk or smallnetbuilder for information although the latter is very technical.

There have been a number of issues regarding the BT Homehub and wireless security in the past. Regardless you should operate using the WPA key as WEP security is easily hacked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.