Motorhome Facts Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
using the £5 dongle now in somerset had it unlkocked on ebay £7 now use it for vodafone payg or put my tmobile sim in which has internet use inc in monthly contract, could even use it as o2 if other signals failed.
mark

3g dongle

Just reading all the comments.
What do you all expect for a fiver. Your comments on the advertised dongle says you are all Victor Meldrew attitude. Its no wonder people regard the over 60s as being grumpy. Spend your £5 on steradent for your teeth it will be more benificial for you.
billyfreda

Re: 3g dongle

billyfreda said:
Just reading all the comments.
What do you all expect for a fiver. Your comments on the advertised dongle says you are all Victor Meldrew attitude. Its no wonder people regard the over 60s as being grumpy. Spend your £5 on steradent for your teeth it will be more benificial for you.
billyfreda
Hi Billyfreda,

You obviously haven't read all the posts, otherwise you wouldn't have commented as you did. Both Russell and I, as do many others have contract dongles, which are subject to different billing/payment rules, but shouldn't be subject to different connection rules.

Rapide561 said:
Jock

I think I have sussed it...

1) Log off the internet
2) Disconnect the THREE dongle by pressing the DISCONNECT button.
3) On the THREE pop up window, press settings - it looks like two cogs.
4) Press network
5) Put a dot in select manually choosenetwork box
6) Press search.

A list of available connections comes up. This does not work if you are connected to the internet.

I still do not know how this can be FREE of charge though??? Surely paying money to THREE but using Orange or Vodafone etc does not make sense.

Russell
Thanks Russell,

I'll give it a try later.

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Russell,

Although your pop up menu is slightly different than mine (possibly due to the recent software upgrade), I did manage to get a list of valid networks, as well as a list of all networks, and although Orange 3G did show a better signal strength than 3, it still would not allow me to connect. :( (off line at the time).

gnscloz said:
using the £5 dongle now in somerset had it unlkocked on ebay £7 now use it for vodafone payg or put my tmobile sim in which has internet use inc in monthly contract, could even use it as o2 if other signals failed.
mark
Hi Mark,

Could you pass on a link or an ebay reference number please for the unlocking provider, as I would rather use my dongle for all my sim cards.

Cheers,

Jock.

Just received my complementary 3G dongle from the French SFR operator.
Loaded it onto my laptop here in Portbail Normandy and was told it would connect one time for me to acquire the necessary PIN No. to continue using it. Must be done within the next 15 days.

It didn't connect. Tried hanging out the window to get a better signal but zilch. Then checked out the SFR (and others) 3G coverage and it's hardly worth bothering. Only major towns and commercial areas are covered. What a swizz even if it was free. I must now drive to a major town to initiate my service before it expires.

I had hoped to use it traveling to Holland in September and at Le-Mans 24 hour next year. Maybe by then the pathetic coverage might have improved.

Ray.

Last time I used an SFR 3G connection outside France it was marginally more expensive than using a UK T Mobile one.

Have SFR reduced their rates now?

Look at the 3G coverage maps Offcom have recently been forced to issue for the UK. Appalling coverage outside of urban areas. I think it's a general problem in most countries.

Phil

pmorand said:
Last time I used an SFR 3G connection outside France it was marginally more expensive than using a UK T Mobile one.Have SFR reduced their rates now?Look at the 3G coverage maps Offcom have recently been forced to issue for the UK. Appalling coverage outside of urban areas.
Dunno the rates yet Phil.
As we live in France and would only use the 3G dongle when travelling, it just seemed more convenient than McDonalds.

But if I now have to seek out a major town and pay per minute this free dongle seems not all it's cracked up to be. Have to see if I can compose a suitable response to SFR.

Ray.

Just returned from a round trip of Yorkshire, Northumberland, the Dales, and Cambridge. We got connected most of the time via the 3 dongle although there was a large area around the Yorkshire Dales where there was no service. I had meant to check coverage of 3 before we went but forgot!

Mrs D

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.