Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have just bought a timberland freedom and were wanting to get a drive away awning but when you connect to the rail on the sun canopy, you cant open the door. Its the same for if you use the electric winder, you cant open the sliding door until the legs are up, seems a daft design. Does anyone have any advise on if there is a driveway that fits? or can the canopy be changed for one that gives more clearance?

Many thanks in advance 馃榿

Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
I can't visualise what you mean by "you cant open the sliding door until the legs are up".

I don't have a sliding door but when I extend the awning I do have to support it with the legs being deployed otherwise it would foul up the door opening.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The canopy is fitted literally 1cm if not less above the sliding side door so when you wind out the canopy it drops when it first comes out of its housing at which point you cannot open that side door as it catches on the underside of the canopy until you have it lifted again with the legs which really leaves the electric option non useable unless you leave the vehicle by another door. So, when the drive away attachment is attaches to the rail, this protrudes by about an inch which prevents us also from opening the sliding door. If I wanted an awning I would have to go out of another door and enter the awning that way instead of by the side door making it an extension of the van if that makes sense?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, its a crazy arrangement and completely useless really. We were wondering if you could actually use the same canopy onto different brackets or wether we would have to purchase a whole new setup

Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
Without knowing exactly which canopy/awning, van and fittings it is impossible to say, a picture would help but not fully, having said that if it is a proper Fiamma standard awning, then using the proper brackets for your vehicle maybe it'd be okay, but you would then probably have holes to fill.

Registered
2003 Timberland Freedom
I also have a Timberland Freedom, the wind out awning fitted is a close fitting curved body model that fits close to the roof line, it is not the same as one fitted to a wall, in my view, it looks much better than one perched on stand off brackets with the awing above the roof line.. that some convertors use,
Does this help, sorry no , but it does explain the rational Timberland employed, to make a van conversion to the highest possible standard , it was certainly not aa suggested a "bodged job" !
I bought a van conversion for touring and have no need or desire for any kind of pitched awning, for me it defeats the object of. touring van .
There are other types of 'drive-away' awnings that don't utilise the wind-out awing ..they have straps the you throw over the roof and peg down on the other side..
I hope that both explains and helps..

For those who have never seen a wind-out awing like that, or though it a "bodge" a photo of mine ..
Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle registration plate Cloud Sky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts