Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MH is now 4 years old and as such the advisory is coming that I should change the timing belt. Fair enough (although it annoys me as the previous MH with the previous range of engines had a chain in the 3litre version which was altogether a better engine than the newer 2.3litre version imho).

So do I turn and expensive job into a doubly expensive job, by changing the water pump whilst I'm at it?

Or not?

I am not experiencing any problems with the current water pump.

ta muchly

Reactions: 242633

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
From a mechanical point of view there are two reasons to change the water pump at same time as the cam belt.
On this engine the water pump is driven by the back face of the cam belt, which means should the water pump bearing fail not only will it leak your engine coolant away it will destroy the cam belt which will result in a very expensive failure of the engine.
All of the work to change the cam belt is necessary to change the water pump, with around an hour extra labour to change the pump if done at same time as belt, (so long as the high pressure fuel pump comes out of its housing).

The added expense and the fact that it is not a replacement required in the guide lines of Fiat are perhaps reasons not to do it.

Do you feel lucky punk :smile2:

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll need to get some quotes in I think. The Fiat Service Centre quoted around 600 for the timing belt kit and 1200-1400 quid for the full monty. I didn't even ask if that included labour! There is another garage I use who do commercials and do my MOT (and did the oil service last year) so I'll get a quote off them.

The MH has only done less than 18k miles so I think the water pump would probably be OK.

What's the downside of the water pump fails? I appreciate its a job and a half to get it out but if caught quickly, are there any bigger issues/problems if it fails?

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From a mechanical point of view there are two reasons to change the water pump at same time as the cam belt.
On this engine the water pump is driven by the back face of the cam belt, which means should the water pump bearing fail not only will it leak your engine coolant away it will destroy the cam belt which will result in a very expensive failure of the engine.
All of the work to change the cam belt is necessary to change the water pump, with around an hour extra labour to change the pump if done at same time as belt, (so long as the high pressure fuel pump comes out of its housing).

The added expense and the fact that it is not a replacement required in the guide lines of Fiat are perhaps reasons not to do it.

Do you feel lucky punk :smile2:

Thanks John - I guess you answered my post before I posted it. Psychic :grin2:

The Fiat guy mentioned that there were 3 different types of water pump. Is there an easy way of finding out the correct one I'll need? Or does it have to be whipped out to get that info?

Reactions: eurajohn

·
Premium Member
25,553 Posts
As I remember our Fiat 2.8L was about £450 but more recently the Tiguan was €600 with service included. But costs do go up that sounds somewhat exorbitant.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
18,907 Posts
Ours for both was around 800€ so compatibles with Ray’s figure.

False economy not to change as Murphy’s Law LOVES engines with low mileage…. Ours is now on 4th belt and third pump (original owner was cheapskate) and has done 32000 miles, it is a 2003…..

Last one done at Renault garage locally, very helpful small company who do all our MH servicing and who I trust implicitly.

·
Premium Member
25,553 Posts
Johns assessment is from a professional viewpoint and very valid G. We often think routine servicing is not always as necessary as the agent or manufacturer makes out. But when they are proved right by some catastrophic failure once in a while, can we take that risk? Cos thats what it is, a big risk.!

There are great differences in the recommended kms to do the change of the belt, pump, tyres, etc. between manufacturers but peace of mind is worth a few bob.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,225 Posts
Go to a private garage and deffo do the pump and idler/tensioner, might end up similar to Fiat prices.

Reactions: 242633 and GMJ

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Does Fiat routine maintenance on the 2.3 multi jet 130bhp recommend cam belt change every 5yrs regardless of mileage.
We collect our new to us (2016) Motorhome up in 2wks time.
We have been told it will have a full service, Mot and cambelt change if needed.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am a believer in getting services done after all, we expect the MH to look after us so it's only right we look after it.

I think I'll address this when we get back in March. We'll be close to needing 2 front tyres by then so it can all be done at once. As I said I have a good indie who will be able to do it.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,221 Posts
Does Fiat routine maintenance on the 2.3 multi jet 130bhp recommend cam belt change every 5yrs regardless of mileage.
We have been told it will have a full service, Mot and cambelt change if needed.
Many dealers would tell you it wasn't due a belt if the due date was a month away or if it was a few miles short, and they would be telling the truth.

Reactions: 242633 and fdhadi

·
Read Only
424 Posts
As I remember our Fiat 2.8L was about £450 but more recently the Tiguan was €600 with service included. But costs do go up that sounds somewhat exorbitant.

Ray.
Our Tiguan Timing Belt and Water Pump change 13 months ago was done by the Dealer at a fixed price £549. It was only £50 cheaper not to change the Water Pump, 'because we only have to undo 2 bolts in the same area, so there's virtually no labour charge'

The M/Home agreed to change the Timing Belt and Water Pump as part of the purchase agreement. M/Home was 4 yrs 10mths old and had 8757 miles on the clock, but 8767 miles when it was delivered, so not too much road testing!

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the "if needed" part. Is it subjective to the garage "we had a look and it wasn't needed" or is it needed as the service schedule says it should be done every 4-5 years.

Personally I would insist on it being done if they have mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I did email them earlier this week and pointed out the Fiat 5yr thing on cambelt. They got back to me immediately and said if it’s part of the Fiat schedule they’ll do it.
So as far as I’m concerned it should be done. I could hold back say 1k of the payment until on the day. If it hasn’t been done I’ll put it into Fiat and they can do it at the dealers expense.
To be fare they’ve been excellent up to now so hopefully it’ll be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
The belt should not need replacing until 5 years have elapsed or you do very high mileage.

If your vehicle is five years old, whatever the mileage, then have the belt replaced – not replacing it and then having the belt break could be catastrophic for the engine and your bank balance.

Most garages will advise you that the water pump should be replaced at the same time and it is considered sensible to do that.

I had the belt and pump on mine done on my 2013 2.3 150 Ducato engine in 2018 for £375 at a Commercial Garage – it may not be the cheapest but I knew they do Ducato vehicles on a regular basis and are used to doing the procedure.

Any garage who service Ducato should be reasonably priced but if you use a Fiat Dealer expect to pay top notch prices – I was quoted silly money for the belt and pump change by my Local Fiat Dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,225 Posts
I read somewhere that engines in regular use were better than ones which stood a lot, due to the belt being stressed around the smaller pulleys and getting damaged.

Reactions: fdhadi
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.