Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I don't know if this is the right section for this post, so feel free to move it Mods.

I was just cleaning my rooflites over the weekend and I found them to be home to quite a few pin-head sized brownish bugs. Little round critters, that run around a lot. Not too much of an isue, up on the roof but I started cleaning the cupboards out and they're there too!!! Under the benches and generally everywhere. Not in huge numbers or swarms (or Herds, or whatever a collective of bugs is called) but half a dozen under a rooflite is enough! The occasional one under the carpet etc etc

I don't think they are a danger or are eating my van but I'd like them gone!

Anyone know whet they are? or how to get rid of them?

They are NOT fleas, cockroaches or money spiders.

check your own vans too as mine is generally kemp very tidy & clean.

thanks

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
It is just one of the many bugs reported in Fiat based vehicles unfortunately. 8)

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Might help to identify them first to make sure you have not got a major problem:

http://www.amentsoc.org/insects/what-bug-is-this/

Have you been to Europe recently ? Could you have picked them up there ? Sounds like you need some sort of fumigation treatment as they are so widespread in your van. Perhaps someone like Rentokill - or even your local council pests and vermin department- might be able to advise.

G

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
AberdeenAngus said:
Pusser said:
It is just one of the many bugs reported in Fiat based vehicles unfortunately. 8)
Oh Pusser....that's just wrong ! 8O
You have not heard of the judder bug, and the water ingress bug. :D

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
They could be the ones which get in biscuit tins, the dog food bag, the flour bags (and lots of other grain based products) and chomp away. :evil:

We have them in the kitchen at home and have never completely got rid of the little swine. The Spillers Shapes sometimes look like Aero bars, but the dog doesn't mind the extra protein. 8O :lol:

Have a look for evidence in any similar foodstuffs you may have left in the van for a while.

Fly spray sees them off, but it's not something you want to use too much around the food!! :?

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grizzly said:
Might help to identify them first to make sure you have not got a major problem:

http://www.amentsoc.org/insects/what-bug-is-this/

Have you been to Europe recently ? Could you have picked them up there ? Sounds like you need some sort of fumigation treatment as they are so widespread in your van. Perhaps someone like Rentokill - or even your local council pests and vermin department- might be able to advise.

G
thanks for the link, amazing what folks do for a hobby!

It's not an "Outbreak" or serious, they just "Bug me".

Sprayed some with crawling insect killer today and they died instantly, so I'll fumigate the van at the weekend.

Not been abroad, so no worries there.

thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zebedee said:
They could be the ones which get in biscuit tins, the dog food bag, the flour bags (and lots of other grain based products) and chomp away. :evil:

We have them in the kitchen at home and have never completely got rid of the little swine. The Spillers Shapes sometimes look like Aero bars, but the dog doesn't mind the extra protein. 8O :lol:

Have a look for evidence in any similar foodstuffs you may have left in the van for a while.

Fly spray sees them off, but it's not something you want to use too much around the food!! :?

Hope this helps

Dave
Ahh, Dave . . . . . . you're right my man. They look just like flour mites that you get in old self-raising. As I just posted, the spray kills them and there is no food or anything in the van so I'll give it a really good attack.

Thanks for reminding me what they look like.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The best spray to use for these little blighters is INDOREX. Its a mighty strong spray that will protect the treated areas from fleas, house mites, those tiny biting spiders and loads of other little beasties for upto 12 months with a single application. It costs about £15 from some pet stores and a few very good pharmacies (like mine! haha)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Try living in Spain some of the bugs I find in the van try to throw me out when i get in,Just give all the nooks and crannies a good spraying including all outside lockers .Thats what we do............But

Last Nov we left spain went up the east side of France then into germany and then down to Auswitch in Poland. back across Germany,France ,Belgium and ended up at Gosport (UK) for christmas. On Christmas eve something caught my eye at the top of the mirror.It was the bigest blackest black widow spider I have ever seen (living in Spain I have seen hundreds )It must have been with us the entire trip.Needles to say we left it in several bits on a campsite near Gosprt. :?

·
Premium Member
22,833 Posts
Just to be really pedantic and depending on how important the information is you might decide to ignore this totally!

IF they are weevils (of which there are many such small things found in grain products) they will have 6 legs as they are Insects,

if they are mites they will have 8 legs as they are members of the Arachnid Class which includes spiders (and scorpions but they are not a problem like that!)

You will have to get up close and personal with a powerful hand lens (magnifying glass) to see, and it MAY be easier if they were ex-weevils or ex-mites to stop them moving so fast! Even a hand lens may well not be powerful enough and I would be VERY happy to put them under a microscope in my lab and have a little look if you can persuade some ex-whatever it is things to get posted to me!

If you would be interested (and most sane people won't be) send me a PM and I will give you an address.

It is the sort of project which is GREAT fun after exams with students (as a biology teacher we are always looking for new fun things to do........ heart transplants are SO boring these days!! and Genetically Modifying the Year 10 students just does not do it for us anymore!

If you want to see a flour mite try;

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7g.htm

for a grain weevil try;

http://www.arun.gov.uk/images/eh/grainweevil.jpg

Good luck!

Dave

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
They sound like "Red Mite". Poultry get "Red Mite", do you have any pets, if you do, see if they have any.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
[quote="Double-Entendre] Ever helpful!

We need people like you . . . . . . . . in Afghanistan[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words but unnecessary as it says by the avatar how helpful people have been. I have 232 thank you's and I am just going to have a quick dekko at yours.

Oh! .. and even one of those is mine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We picked up similar in France (in hotel not MH). Got in our suitcase. Once you get rid of them try having Bay Leaves in grain food items and maybe make some sort of "lavender bags" of bay leaves - that def detracts them.

Hogan, as a fully fledged aracnophobic your story was particularly awful - I may have to leave Spain now! :lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pusser said:
[quote="Double-Entendre] Ever helpful!

We need people like you . . . . . . . . in Afghanistan
Thank you for your kind words but unnecessary as it says by the avatar how helpful people have been. I have 232 thank you's and I am just going to have a quick dekko at yours.

Oh! .. and even one of those is mine.[/quote]

Just checked your membership time in comparison and noticed your imprisonment too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell me, in what way was your contribution helpful? and having scanned your input in general, seems dumb comments are a speciality.

if you can't take the stick, don't give it, eh?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Penquin said:
Just to be really pedantic and depending on how important the information is you might decide to ignore this totally!

IF they are weevils (of which there are many such small things found in grain products) they will have 6 legs as they are Insects,

if they are mites they will have 8 legs as they are members of the Arachnid Class which includes spiders (and scorpions but they are not a problem like that!)

You will have to get up close and personal with a powerful hand lens (magnifying glass) to see, and it MAY be easier if they were ex-weevils or ex-mites to stop them moving so fast! Even a hand lens may well not be powerful enough and I would be VERY happy to put them under a microscope in my lab and have a little look if you can persuade some ex-whatever it is things to get posted to me!

If you would be interested (and most sane people won't be) send me a PM and I will give you an address.

It is the sort of project which is GREAT fun after exams with students (as a biology teacher we are always looking for new fun things to do........ heart transplants are SO boring these days!! and Genetically Modifying the Year 10 students just does not do it for us anymore!

If you want to see a flour mite try;

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th7g.htm

for a grain weevil try;

http://www.arun.gov.uk/images/eh/grainweevil.jpg

Good luck!

Dave
Yeah, thanks Dave

Seems mine may be Grain Weevils too, though there isn't any grain where they are! :lol:

If I can find another and Ex-it, I will indeed get in touch and post you one out for inspection.

What is the best way of exterminating them en-mass?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.