Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are waiting for the summer to decide if we want an awing or not probably a fiama fixed to the side.

I'm not shure what the point is if you havent got sides which due to space is not an option. I assume its as a sun shade?

There is the idea of 'marking your territory'?

Has anyone regreted or wondered how they survived without it?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
We have roll out sun blind type, and it generally gets used when:
1. we want some shade from heavy sun
2. we need to 'mark' pitch against encroachment from caravans with 4x4 plus awning [bigger or at least same size as 'van plus wind break plus dogs / kids / adults [including wardens] taking short cut to whereever it is they need to go so frequently that we are apparently blocking.
:dontknow:
3. also comes in handy for drying towels etc or airing bags if we have been way for a while
[PS went looking for an appropriate smiley - why is this one tagged sex? :sex: am I missing something?]

If you intend staying on one site for a period then 'drive away' type look like a good idea.
8)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
We use a 3mtr square gazeebo more than the awning (for your info Classic Marquees at Frodsham) It has sides and is of the expandable type. There is a picture of it next to the van in my photos on this site.
It also has the advantage of being a pitch marker. It wasnt cheap but is well made and ours is the aluminium framed version which packs into a quality bag and will fit in the luton of the van for travel. If its nice weather and we arnt moving I will wind the fiamma out which is the same size and end up with a large van extension

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
twooks said:
[---- why is this one tagged sex? :sex: am I missing something?]
We have no way of knowing, please address your questions to a more appropriate web site.

:D :D :D

Gillian

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys

I probably have the same ideas as you all but needed reasurance (Dont ask me why lol)

We only use sites as night stops but will see when the summer comes.

BTW Tooks...... What exactly were you trying to say with the smiley!! :oops:

Oh and GILL............... "allright meduck"

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I did post earlier asking about awnings but no-one replied. :(

We need an awing as there is not a lot of room in Frisky, & we need somewhere sheltered for the dogs to sleep.

Prefer the idea of a free standing one to a wind out so that we can go out without having to pack everything away, we do tend to stay on the same site for at least a few days at a time.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sorry Caz, I did see your post, but thought you would be looking for info on 'proper' awning not roll out blind - and I haven't the faintest idea about them. A work colleague used to use one - similar reasons to you - 2 adults 2 kids 1 dog, but I haven't seen him for a while. Also know they are popular with NL vans with fixed roof - only time they can stand up I guess. Looks too complicated for my simple mind.
Saw Dodgers gazebo in photos - thought it looked really smart!

As for the smiley, :oops: just my natural curiosity [about the smiley] and the red wine.
:p 8)
am currently using lap top and animations don't always work, wondered what I was missing. [yeah - the smiley :oops: ] 8)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Caz, I have to admit the gazeebo is a pain to cart around if we dont store it in the luton so could understand your problem. I have seen some smaller self supporting units that people use for storing wheelchairs/scooters etc also for check in desks at rallies. Dependant on size of dogs, ie not Great Danes they would be ok for sleeping quaters for the four legged members of the family. If you saw what I was trying to explainb you would recognise

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Apasher

If you expect to be sitting/lunching outside in the sun then an awning is a great piece of kit.
But what type?
The Fiamma and Omnistor type which are permanently fixed to the side of the van and wind out, usually with a detachable handle are very good.
Some also come with detachable sides forming a full awning complete with door and window, at a price of course.
We have the Fiamma Zip of this type which came as part of the van package, and spent over 3 separate months with the van and never ever felt the need for the zipped sections which we didn't even take with us because of the weight.

The permanently fixed ones are not cheap.
Have you considered the removable type which Fiamma sell under the name Caravanstore.

We bought one of these for our Royale and found it more than adequate.
It is mounted in an awning channel specially fixed to the van. The awning which they market as 'the awning in a bag' is slid into the channel when you want to take it with you and has locking bits to prevent it sliding out while you are travelling.
To put it out you first unzip the long bag which keeps it clean and ready for action. There are short velcro strips which prevent the awning unrolling and these are opened and it's then unrolled by hand for about 5 feet until you are able to slide from each end, the legs and tensioning rafters.
Putting it away is just the reverse of this but a second pair of hands is almost essential as it's more fiddly fastening the velcro strips then the unfastening. The other point is the height from the floor to the suspension point. It may be necessary to use a step to reach it but it obviosly depends on the occupants height as well as the height of the van.

HTH

Gillian

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
re carting these things around, a friend of ours bought van with bike rack, which they don't use for bikes, but carry stuff like the awning on it, as long as it's long and thin it seems secure. Have also seen awnings rolled and chained onto rear step.
Have been throwing camping magazines out and noticed review on awnings from Practical Mhome from end of 2001. It's probably out of date, but if anyone wants it let me know.
8)

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Caz said:
I did post earlier asking about awnings but no-one replied. :(

We need an awing as there is not a lot of room in Frisky, & we need somewhere sheltered for the dogs to sleep.
Sorry for not replying earlier.

With our previous van we got a Harrison free standing awning about 3m x 2.5m with windows and pretty much like a caravan awning except for its height as it was designed to fit the taller (3m high?) motorhome.
See http://www.harrisonawnings.co.uk and motor annex.
Although it comfortably stood as a standalone (as we had it in Spain on a winter rally), one wall which had no window could be rolled up and an attached elasticated section hooked over a rail on the motorhome providing it was close enough.
You could then step down from the motorhome directly into the awning.

We only used it on that trip as our lifestyle doesn't lend itself to standalone awnings. Nevertheless it appeared to be a decent piece of equipment for the right party.

HTH

Gillian

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Thanks for your comments.

The one I am thinking of is like a tunnel tent, 3 metres wide x 4 metres deep. :?

Think I might have trouble with a "frame tent" or Caravanstore one, being vertically challenged as they say. :cry:

Will report back on outcome. :wink:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Gillian

this has reinforced my thinking, I think a simple rollout fixed awing is the thing for us since space is at a premium and wild camping is the norm also we probably wont be staying in a site more thatn one night at a time.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The one thing I forgot about the roll out Fiama awning - the muck that gets behind it is difficult to shift cos the gap is small. We have trees nearby which insist on covering my roof in particular with green stuff which is also a mess to shift

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
What dodger said has reminded me of something else. - the gap behind roll out is small enough to catch leaves, big enough to let water thru' [is that the right way round :? ]
According to VW body work engineer, it may increase the possibility of water dripping thro sliding door. He was a bit negative about most things, but may be right in that, we occasionally get splashes on passenger seat, but you should be OK with a Trident type.
8)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The cleaning thing behind the awning isnt too bad on a High Top, but a coachbuilt for "hight impaired" like me causes a problem - need ladders

At the shows I saw ? selling strip that goes along the top to stop this but I forget to measure before going so havnt a clue what tha gap is. Its heaving down at the mo so dont suggest doing it whilst I have remembered

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aaaaagh!!

Now I dont know what to do?????

Why is life so complicated?? :roll:

but thanks anyway Tooks and Dodge

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
apasher said:
Aaaaagh!!

Now I dont know what to do?????

Why is life so complicated?? :roll:

but thanks anyway Tooks and Dodge
If I can spread a little confusion as I pass this way I have not passed in vain n'est-ce pas :?:

More seriously, when we had the Mondial we [well, the clever member of the partnership :wink: ] fit some sealing strip wotsit over the sliding door, no more leaks! :lol: but I'm not sure that the VW lends itself in the same way, but that could just be ours, Bilbo conversion.
but given the kind of camping you do, a roll out could be ideal, given the downside and the fact that all campervans are compromises
good luck,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fiama awnings

Just bought auto sleeper ravenna which has a fixed fiama awning i have got a free standing apache awning with my talbot tambler which I was going to include in my part ex deal would it be possible to fix it to the ravenna
Iam new to motorhoming would appreciate any advice on the above and has anybody out there got or had a ravenna with any good or bad points to look out for

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The Ravenna is a bit too tall for attaching to buy you can put a free standing unit up the side by a roll out (see my photos on this site)
What Ravenna do you have the Boxer or Tranny. My mate had one from new (tranny) for a couple of years and after initial (dealer) problems the van was ok and trailed us round Scotland and France. Not our choice of layout but that was the only minus I would score it with. Quite a few of them in The A-S Owners Club (link on this web site and two or three members on this forum that I know of.
If you have anything specific I could find out for you If I dont know the answer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.