Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We've had a camper van for nearly a year now, and we are thinking of going to France for our next holiday.

The problem is that we do not have an onboard toilet. Would we need to rely purely on campsites, or do the 'aire de services' have standard toilet (in addition to the toilet cassette) facilities?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Pete + Brenda.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Toilets

I seem to remember reading somewhere that every French Community is required to provide a "Public Convenience". We have usually found one near the Marie's residence.... perhaps you could contact the French Tourist Board and ask them....??

Sundial

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do some research before you go ( Sorry - not a play on words!) Aires and stellplatz vary hugely in that some have toilets., showers, leccy etc and others have nowt. I'm sure that if you say where you want to go people on this forum will know what you can find in the way of facilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, those replies came thick and fast. All very useful, although the bucket idea sounds a tad unsavoury!http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I think that we would be better off sticking to campsites, unless a suitable 'aire to service' became available en-route.

We're thinking of travelling from Calais to the south of France via roughtly, Le Havre, Rennes & La Rochelle (kind of following the coastline) down the Bordeaux coast, then over the Pyrenees exiting at the Perpignon area. After a spell in the sun, we intend to return to Calais via perhaps Lyon, Dijon & Paris. If anybody has travelled this route and could suggest suitable aires (or a way of finding out), it would be of great help.

Many thanks to all who have posted so far.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hymerowner said:
Do some research before you go ( Sorry - not a play on words!) Aires and stellplatz vary hugely in that some have toilets., showers, leccy etc and others have nowt. I'm sure that if you say where you want to go people on this forum will know what you can find in the way of facilities.
Yep, if you dont do any investigation you could end up having nothing to go on :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
gapman said:
Hi all,

We've had a camper van for nearly a year now, and we are thinking of going to France for our next holiday.

The problem is that we do not have an onboard toilet. Would we need to rely purely on campsites, or do the 'aire de services' have standard toilet (in addition to the toilet cassette) facilities?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Pete + Brenda.
Depends, If it were me then I would fork out for a small porta potti (about £40-45) for occasional use and have the freedom of aires and wildcamping with the occasional stop at a municipal site for a proper wash and brush up. Simples!

Pete

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I think that you might change your mind about the bucket when you see the standard of many of the toilets on offer. We found that all but the larger supermarkets had toilets worth using. Don't let that put you off using the community Aires (not the motorway ones!). If you go on line and search for Vicarious books, you will see a book for sale called 'All the Aires of France', this is a very good book, facilities vary but the book is pretty accurate. We used quite a few of them on a recent trip through Normandy and Brittany, they were all good and people staying in them were all very friendly.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We almost always stay on municipal sites, these usually have good facilities and are very reasonably priced, we have paid from free to around 12euros.
we always carry a caravan club europe one book which lists many.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi
Good luck in France I am sure you will enjoy it as we do.
We have visited many Aires and even France Passion stop overs that have a toilet. Even though we have all the facilities we always use a toilet if it is nearby to cut down on emptying. Last summer we stayed on 2 aires on the beach at St Tropez, both had toilets and one also had a couple of solar heated showers. We then moved along the coast to the Aire at Cavaliere where there was one of those modern coin in the slot space module loos near by.
JP

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Tried the Bucket, It leaves a VERY sore ring around the posterior and you cannot sit down for ages after.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

It may be a good idea to follow the coastline as then there is the VERY big loo on your right all the way down.

Sorry But I could not resist a bit of humour.

We found the large Hypermarkets have very nice toilets and there are usually plenty around, But I must admit we did not find many Aires with toilets.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
A tad off topic, but we lived in Jamaica in the 70s.

We hired a beautiful cottage in the Blue Mountains, and tried as hard as we could we couldn't find the loo.

Then we saw the entrenching tool by the back door..... 8O 8O 8O

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.