Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wrestling with tolls for 3500kg+ motorhome for a trip including Slovakia.

Slovakia have introduced a new scheme from 1st Jan this year which I am trying to understand. They classify - basically -

'cars & small vans buses up to 8 passengers' under 3500 by vignette.

Goods over 3500 (obviously not us) and buses over 3500 and 16 seats (ie coaches).

I have emailed for clarification and they sent an extract which says (essentially) buses (which we are not - but hey - no one thinks about motorhomes when they draft their rules do they!!) over 3500 AND less than 16 seats fall outside the scheme.

So we're free, while cars have to have a vignette?? I wish!! I'd prefer to know before we get there, as most of these countries take a dim view (and a verylarge fine) of people not complying with their rules on tolls!

Has anyone else looked at this, or even been there since Jan 1st to help throw any light on this please?

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
hblewett said:

Slovakia have introduced a new scheme from 1st Jan this year which I am trying to understand. They classify - basically -

Goods over 3500 (obviously not us) and buses over 3500 and 16 seats (ie coaches).

I have emailed for clarification and they sent an extract which says (essentially) buses (which we are not - but hey - no one thinks about motorhomes when they draft their rules do they!!) over 3500 AND less than 16 seats fall outside the scheme.

So we're free, while cars have to have a vignette?? I wish!! I'd prefer to know before we get there, as most of these countries take a dim view (and a verylarge fine) of people not complying with their rules on tolls!

Has anyone else looked at this, or even been there since Jan 1st to help throw any light on this please?
Thanks for bringing this up as I was not aware of any changes and it is important for us as we live 100kms from the Slowakian border and travel there frequently.

I have found this on their website

https://www.emyto.sk/web/guest/spoplatnene-vozidla

at the bottom of the page

"vehicles of the category M with the total maximum permissible weight over 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of less than 9 including a driver (i.e. 9 and less) are not liable to pay the toll due to the fact that they do not meet the legal definition from the point of the number of persons transported- i.e. they do not pay the toll,
the vehicles of the category M1 are not assigned among the vehicles with the toll payment liability - i.e. they do not pay the toll."

From this it would seem that they have considered minibuses and motorhomes and that they will not be liable for the tolls.

Unfortunately my V5C under para J. Vehicle category is blank so maybe there could be an argument about whether my MH is category M

In case I am wrong I have tried the download page for the map of the toll roads but cannot get the list of downloads in English so may have to wait for Basia to decipher it, as Slowak is close to Polish

Geoff

·
Registered
659 Posts
nicholsong said:
hblewett said:

Thanks for bringing this up as I was not aware of any changes and it is important for us as we live 100kms from the Slowakian border and travel there frequently.

"vehicles of the category M with the total maximum permissible weight over 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of less than 9 including a driver (i.e. 9 and less) are not liable to pay the toll due to the fact that they do not meet the legal definition from the point of the number of persons transported- i.e. they do not pay the toll,
the vehicles of the category M1 are not assigned among the vehicles with the toll payment liability - i.e. they do not pay the toll."

From this it would seem that they have considered minibuses and motorhomes and that they will not be liable for the tolls.

Unfortunately my V5C under para J. Vehicle category is blank so maybe there could be an argument about whether my MH is category M

In case I am wrong I have tried the download page for the map of the toll roads but cannot get the list of downloads in English so may have to wait for Basia to decipher it, as Slowak is close to Polish

Geoff
Geoff

Provided your V5 states your vehicle 'Body Type' (Item D.5) is "Motor Caravan", then the following attachment should be helpful 'Definition of vehicle categories'

It shows the motor caravan as a type M1 and explains what is required to make it so.

HTH

Keith (Sprokit)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
sprokit said:
nicholsong said:
hblewett said:

Geoff
Geoff

Provided your V5 states your vehicle 'Body Type' (Item D.5) is "Motor Caravan", then the following attachment should be helpful 'Definition of vehicle categories'

It shows the motor caravan as a type M1 and explains what is required to make it so.

HTH

Keith (Sprokit)
Keith

Thanks for your knowledgeable help as always.

I had re-read that document this morning.

Where my doubt remains is that document is a 2007 Directive about Certification, with various subsequent implementation dates, so what is the category of my MH registered in April 2003, with no category entered on the V5C - especially when challenged by a Slowakian policeman? I think pointing to a 2007 EU Directive may not be effective, unless it has some retrospective force for my MH, which I could not find, in the Directive.

I am sure if stopped by VOSA there would be no problem, but in other Jurisdictions ?

Geoff

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Tolls in Slovakia (possibly a boring reply!!)

nicholsong said:
sprokit said:
nicholsong said:
hblewett said:

Geoff
Geoff

HTH

Keith (Sprokit)
Keith

Where my doubt remains is that document is a 2007 Directive about Certification, with various subsequent implementation dates, so what is the category of my MH registered in April 2003, with no category entered on the V5C - especially when challenged by a Slowakian policeman? I think pointing to a 2007 EU Directive may not be effective, unless it has some retrospective force for my MH, which I could not find, in the Directive.

I am sure if stopped by VOSA there would be no problem, but in other Jurisdictions ?

Geoff
Hi Geoff

As with all legislation (as I'm sure you are aware) the devil is in the reading and interpretation - however, without wishing to bore anyone reading this thread - if you want to take a look at - http://tinyurl.com/q6fjzk4 - (this is the whole of the Directive) the initial paragraphs re-produced below give the pre-amble which appears to cover your problem in that it points to previous legislation which has been combined, updated and replaced by this Directive.

(1) Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers [3], has been substantially amended several times. Since further amendments are to be made, it should be recast in the interests of clarity.
(2) For the purposes of the establishment and operation of the internal market of the Community, it is appropriate to replace the Member States' approval systems with a Community approval procedure based on the principle of total harmonisation.
(3) The technical requirements applicable to systems, components, separate technical units and vehicles should be harmonised and specified in regulatory acts. Those regulatory acts should primarily seek to ensure a high level of road safety, health protection, environmental protection, energy efficiency and protection against unauthorised use.
(4) Council Directive 92/53/EEC of 18 June 1992 amending Directive 70/156/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers [4] limited application of the Community whole vehicle type-approval procedure to the vehicle category M1. However, in order to complete the internal market and to ensure that it functions properly, the scope of the present Directive should cover all categories of vehicles, enabling manufacturers to benefit from the advantages of the internal market by means of the Community type-approval.

I have no intention of putting the whole thing on here - you can read it at the link I provided, but I think the main part concerning how current Type Approval legislation came into being is as above.

As always, as I used to put on my work in my past life :roll: ) 'it is only a court which can put an interpretation on a point of law' - again, as I'm sure you are aware.

You just have to make the attending officer unsure of his knowledge to win the battle :wink: :wink: :wink:

As an afterthought - here is the 1970 legislation to which the above referred....

Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers

( http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31970L0156:en:NOT )

Of which the following is of note.....

ANNEX I MODEL INFORMATION DOCUMENT (a)

1. GENERAL CONSTRUCTION CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VEHICLE

Scroll down to para. 12.8 and immediately below is the following:

(a)If a part has been type-approved that part need not be described if reference is made to such approval. Similarly, a part need not be described if its construction is clearly apparent from the attached diagrams or sketches. (b) Classified according to the following international categories: 1. Category M : Motor vehicles having at least four wheels, or having three wheels when the maximum weight exceeds 1 metric ton, and used for the carriage of passengers. - Category M1 : Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.

As always - HTH

Keith (Sprokit)

·
Registered
388 Posts

sprokit said:
nicholsong said:
sprokit said:
nicholsong said:
hblewett said:

Geoff
Geoff

HTH

Keith (Sprokit)
Keith

Geoff
Hi Geoff

As with all legislation (as I'm sure you are aware) the devil is in the reading and interpretation - however, without wishing to bore anyone reading this thread - if you want to take a look at - http://tinyurl.com/q6fjzk4 - (this is the whole of the Directive) the initial paragraphs re-produced below give the pre-amble which appears to cover your problem in that it points to previous legislation which has been combined, updated and replaced by this Directive.

(1) Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers [3], has been substantially amended several times. Since further amendments are to be made, it should be recast in the interests of clarity.
(2) For the purposes of the establishment and operation of the internal market of the Community, it is appropriate to replace the Member States' approval systems with a Community approval procedure based on the principle of total harmonisation.
(3) The technical requirements applicable to systems, components, separate technical units and vehicles should be harmonised and specified in regulatory acts. Those regulatory acts should primarily seek to ensure a high level of road safety, health protection, environmental protection, energy efficiency and protection against unauthorised use.
(4) Council Directive 92/53/EEC of 18 June 1992 amending Directive 70/156/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers [4] limited application of the Community whole vehicle type-approval procedure to the vehicle category M1. However, in order to complete the internal market and to ensure that it functions properly, the scope of the present Directive should cover all categories of vehicles, enabling manufacturers to benefit from the advantages of the internal market by means of the Community type-approval.

I have no intention of putting the whole thing on here - you can read it at the link I provided, but I think the main part concerning how current Type Approval legislation came into being is as above.

As always, as I used to put on my work in my past life :roll: ) 'it is only a court which can put an interpretation on a point of law' - again, as I'm sure you are aware.

You just have to make the attending officer unsure of his knowledge to win the battle :wink: :wink: :wink:

As an afterthought - here is the 1970 legislation to which the above referred....

Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers

( http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31970L0156:en:NOT )

Of which the following is of note.....

ANNEX I MODEL INFORMATION DOCUMENT (a)

1. GENERAL CONSTRUCTION CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VEHICLE

Scroll down to para. 12.8 and immediately below is the following:

(a)If a part has been type-approved that part need not be described if reference is made to such approval. Similarly, a part need not be described if its construction is clearly apparent from the attached diagrams or sketches. (b) Classified according to the following international categories: 1. Category M : Motor vehicles having at least four wheels, or having three wheels when the maximum weight exceeds 1 metric ton, and used for the carriage of passengers. - Category M1 : Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.

As always - HTH

Keith (Sprokit)
This is a bit pointless - Surely even the thickest slovakian policeman will be able to identify an arto as a motorhome.

Does this this mean that if you are under 3500kgs you have to buy a vignette but if your over 3500kgs you dont? that doesnt sound right. I always thought you needed a gobox to go to Slovakia

·
Registered
659 Posts

jonegood said:
This is a bit pointless - Surely even the thickest slovakian policeman will be able to identify an arto as a motorhome.

Does this this mean that if you are under 3500kgs you have to buy a vignette but if your over 3500kgs you dont? that doesnt sound right. I always thought you needed a gobox to go to Slovakia
Told you it was boring - however, my reading of the Slovakian web page is as follows
vehicles of the M category with the total maximum permissible weight below 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of more than 9 including a driver (i.e. 10 and more) are not subject to the toll payment liability because for the relevant weight category there is no toll rate- i.e. they do not pay the toll (category M2 is subject to the payment according to the Road Ac by means of the so-called time-based charge = highways stickers),

vehicles of the category M with the total maximum permissible weight over 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of less than 9 including a driver (i.e. 9 and less) are not liable to pay the toll due to the fact that they do not meet the legal definition from the point of the number of persons transported- i.e. they do not pay the toll,

the vehicles of the category M1 are not assigned among the vehicles with the toll payment liability - i.e. they do not pay the toll.

The only important bit as far as motor caravans are concerned is the final paragraph - as motor caravans are categorised M1 (by EU Directive), they are exempt from tolls.

Keith (Sprokit)

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
Keith

I have just been reading 92/53/EEC, which the 2007 Directive replaced, and it seems that was the Directive in force when my MH was built and that the definitions were the same and that my MH is category MI, even though if built now it would be M1 (Special Purpose)

So it seems under Slowakian law it is exempt - Phew!

It seems as though the Slowaks have been more lenient than say the Austrians or Swiss.

We ripped up the military minefields in Europe to replace them with bureaucratic ones :eek:

Geoff

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts

sprokit said:
jonegood said:

Told you it was boring - however, my reading of the Slovakian web page is as follows
vehicles of the M category with the total maximum permissible weight below 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of more than 9 including a driver (i.e. 10 and more) are not subject to the toll payment liability because for the relevant weight category there is no toll rate- i.e. they do not pay the toll (category M2 is subject to the payment according to the Road Ac by means of the so-called time-based charge = highways stickers),

vehicles of the category M with the total maximum permissible weight over 3.5 t and the number of persons transported of less than 9 including a driver (i.e. 9 and less) are not liable to pay the toll due to the fact that they do not meet the legal definition from the point of the number of persons transported- i.e. they do not pay the toll,

the vehicles of the category M1 are not assigned among the vehicles with the toll payment liability - i.e. they do not pay the toll.

The only important bit as far as motor caravans are concerned is the final paragraph - as motor caravans are categorised M1 (by EU Directive), they are exempt from tolls.

Keith (Sprokit)
Keith

That is my reading. We agree totally as long as the authorities agree that MHs (>3500kg and <3500kg) are regardless category M1.

'Tis a pity the other countries do not classify the same.

Geoff

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for that. It looks as if my reading of the situation is shared by others, so that's all very good news; so long as it's shared by the Slovacs we're laughing!

Maybe they have had the sense, which the Austrians in particular, along with many others, is that passengers in category M vehicles are tourists, and therefore should not be discouraged from visiting

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nicholsong said:
hblewett said:

Geoff
The extract in your link is what the toll people sent to me in response to my query, so it obviously does apply to my (and others) situation and msu be right. I just thought it must be too good to be true :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I can. Sorry it'd been a bit delayed, but this is the first time we have had wifi for a few days.

First, let me apologise for incorrect information in an earlier post of mine - motorhomes - even over 3.5 tonnes do NOT have to pay tolls on all roads - this requirement only applied to GOODS CARRYING vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

Motorhomes require a B2 (I believe it is) VIGNETTE to use motorways; they do not require the vignette to use other roads. I tried to find out the answer to this question on the website, but was unable to find it. I did find a list of agents for the Hungarian tolls in various countries (surrounding Slovenia) and went to a Petrol station in Maribor, as indicated (literally branded 'PETROL'!), but they only had the vignettes for cars.

So I rang the number I had found on the website - +36 36 587 500 -
and spoke in English (all I can manage!) to a very helpful lady who said quite clearly that for a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes a vignette is only required to use the motorways - you can use any other roads without it. She pointed out that you can buy your vignette before you get to Hungary on-line. [I presume that your reg, no. will then be recorded, as I read that they check using mobile NPR cameras, but please don't take my word for it - if you need to, make your own checks - if necessary with one of the helpful staff at their call-centre]

When we entered Hungary we almost immediately passed a petrol station clearly advertising that they were selling vignettes. As we didn't want one - we are happy to pootle along on the main roads (all reasonably OK so far) without using motorways.

On our journey through to Heviz we passed under one camera gantry which I presume is there to record toll info (as it was similar to the ones in Poland used for the same purpose). How they know that a numberplate belongs to a vehicle liable to pay a toll - or not - I don't know, but I hope it does! Anyway, I am quite clear about the information I was given on the phone and it is clear that the Hungarian authorities have considered motorhomes and small (mini) buses as being distinct from goods carrying vehicles, so GOOD for them!! :D Perhaps the Austrian authorities might like to consult with them and introduce vignette for motorhomes, but I'm not holding my breath!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please scrub (delete) my previous post. there was a post on a couple of days ago - aybe it was about Czech tolls, not Slovakian tolls - which strayed into the tolls in Hungary. All my comments above relate to HUNGARY, not Slovakia.

I shall attempt to repost elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just arrived in Slovakia and paid a visit to a border toll office - a real one not a garage agency.

If you are an M1 category (ie. motorhome) then you are treated as a car (cat M) and you need a vignette.

Any trailer will also need a vignette and is the same tariff as a car.

Weight is not an issue in either case.
The start date is set by the vendor and can be in the future if you ask. We asked for ours to start the following day as we didn't want to travel by motorway any more that day.

There is no problem of the trailer being on the same reg as the van. You complete the reg on the vignette' tear-off part and keep them safe for when they ask to see them. Both trailer and van vignettes should be on the van windscreen.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
It might be worth my pointing out that there are not that many kilometres of roads requiring a Vignette, so unless you are in a hurry there is usually an original route alongside the new toll road and the roads are not congested - well not in the North and East.

We visit regularly, but often just for the w/e and we are usually crossing the M/way, but even if we want to go in the direction of the M/way it is hardly worth paying Euros 10 to save 15 mins.

I find it a very relaxing country for MH touring. Wildcamping is no problem and there are some beautiful spots. For those with a comparison to make, I would say it is similar to Scotland, but without the islands of course.

Diesel is a bit expensive so we fill in Poland (Today a pound a litre) which lasts us our trip. I do not know the comparative price coming from Czech or Hungary.

We have not stayed on campsites but have researched about 3 - they are variable - one very expensive (because it is at a hotel and has a pool), others quite nice locations and reasonable price.

If anyone wants further info please ask.

Geoff

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have been in Slovakia for two days now but have had a problem with computer/wifi (now part sorted) so only just able to post. We went to a garage, who didn't know all the details, so we carried on but not using motorway. After a bit I stopped and rang a helpline number I had noted (+421 2 35 111 111. 2 on 'menu' for English). They confirmed over 3.5 tonnes motorhome not subject to Toll but must have vignette for motorway but not other roads - all as said by earlier poster.

As said earlier in thread, devil is in the detail; I never saw anywhere on website that over 3.5 need vignette, but it did seem likely when everyone else has to have one.

We are currently at ski station at Tatranska Lominca - (49.16739; 20.27008), where we have flat tarmac surface, WiFi and clean loos a short walk away. Police came round late last night, but didn't bother us, nor has anyone else. Definitely recommended.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.