Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been impressed by the neat fitting that Swift use for the Blaupunkt satnav/reversing screen. Ash from Swift kindly supplied details of the Smart Cradle but I'm happy with the Tom Tom and don't want to go to the expense of buying a Blaupunkt.

So I started searching for something similar to fit a Tom Tom. Their website directs you to a US outfit called ProClip. They supply cradles in two parts. One to fit the satnav and the other to fit the particular vehicle. They all have a common 'interface' where it bolts together.

So I put in TomTom 1 (first edition) and got two cradles. One is for plugging the cigar lighter lead into and the other is for permanently wiring in.

Then I selected '08 Ducato and got the option of three positions on the dash. One is on the fresh air vent to the left of the radio, one is the vent to the right of the radio and the other is on the vent to the right of the steering wheel. I've attached a pic of one of the devices.

My van has silver stick on plastic trim on the dash (like the pretend wood stuff), I'm worried that the ProClip might damage the thin sliver plastic on either side of whichever vent I choose. Has anyone used a ProClip or have any other suggestions for a TomTom?

SDA

Edit - I've just noticed the numbers on the gear lever knob and dash. Cheapskates have just reversed the image of a left hand drive Ducato 8O

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
philoaks said:
This is what I use. It's a Tomtom "alternative" mount and comes complete with a disk to fit to the dash (the sucker then fits to the disk). Tomtom do sell them but I bought mine on Ebay for a lot less!
I noticed those on the TomTom Website Phil but I was looking for something like Swift use with the Blaupunkt where it's on a cradle that comes out of the right hand side of the upper DIN box above the radio. Very neat and not above the dashboard line like the standard windscreen suction cradle. I'm not keen on cluttering up the screen area and would like to keep it clear if possible. Call me a fussy b****r. :roll:

SDA

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Andy

I know what you mean about the Swift mounting. I must admit I was not keen on the Lucca 5.3 at first and used our Tom Tom. But after a few miles I started to like it and I much prefer the mounting of it compared to the Tom Tom especcialy the easy of removing it, no wired and plugs to messs about with.

Why carnt more manufactures make a good job of mounting a sat nav?

The pro clip looks really good for the Tom but what about something like THIS

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd noticed that DIN box mount when researching the Blaupunkt stuff. It looks like a good piece of kit.

Maybe the reason Blaupunkt have such good mounting options for their gear is that the have decades of producing some of the best in car audio. The likes of Tom Tom are just 5 years old and make a bewildering array of satnavs but don't have that heritage of fitting boxes in cars.

SDA

·
Registered
23 Posts
on my Peugeot the TomTom sucker that would normally be stuck to the windscreen, fits securley under the build in clip on the top of the pop up section on the dash. Easily put on and to removed with no extra bits required.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
RichardnGill said:
Andy

I know what you mean about the Swift mounting. I must admit I was not keen on the Lucca 5.3 at first and used our Tom Tom. But after a few miles I started to like it and I much prefer the mounting of it compared to the Tom Tom especcialy the easy of removing it, no wired and plugs to messs about with.
My Bolero came with the Lucca 5.3 but despite trying, I just couldn't get on with it and eventually went back to my Tomtom. As you say it's easy to fit/remove and the fact that the sound integrates with the stereo is excellent, but I just couldn't get to grips with the Lucca display hence the Tomtom! It's horses for courses I suppose.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kev,

I never spotted that thread first time around, certainly plenty of food for thought in there.

There's a possibility that our rear view mirror (actually a rear bed mirror is more accurate) will shortly become a reversing monitor so I think the Tom Tom will have to go lower down somewhere.

Thanks very much I shall have a good mull.

SDA

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi

I have recently fitted a Proclip on my Mercedes Sprinter based Autosleeper, the clip holds the latest Snooper Ventura sat nav, The Mercedes dash has a decorative panel glued over the centre console, fitting the Proclip does no damage what so ever to any part of the dash and can very easily be removed, and the location in my case is perfect for driving, you have a choice of which vent you use, you then order the clip to fit the vent, on thier web site you put in your Vehicle details and it will come up with a number of brackets to suit each vent in your vehicle, I ordered by telephone arrived within 3 days first class. I hope this is of some use to you.

Delboy0127

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
delboy0127 said:
Hi

I have recently fitted a Proclip on my Mercedes Sprinter based Autosleeper, the clip holds the latest Snooper Ventura sat nav, The Mercedes dash has a decorative panel glued over the centre console, fitting the Proclip does no damage what so ever to any part of the dash and can very easily be removed, and the location in my case is perfect for driving, you have a choice of which vent you use, you then order the clip to fit the vent, on thier web site you put in your Vehicle details and it will come up with a number of brackets to suit each vent in your vehicle, I ordered by telephone arrived within 3 days first class. I hope this is of some use to you.

Delboy0127
That's comforting to know Delboy.

I got my pic on the OP from their website having selected my TomTom model and then an '08 Ducato. As you say in my case it offered a choice of three vents they could fit on. I'm torn between the left or right of the steering wheel. I guess the left is more in your eyeline when driving.

I notice that they're priced in Euro's butthere's no mention of a UK distributor. Did yours come direct from the US or nearer to home?

SDA

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi

The company web site to see which bracket you wish to order is www.brodit.com , the brackets can be obtained from a company called Performance Products, based in the UK on 0870 787 0700, as a point of interest I have mine located on the left of the steering wheel, as I have a reversing camera screen on the right. Hope this is of some use to you.
Take care

Delboy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.