Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience of using a tower type fan in their MH ( or at home ?)

We want to buy one now before the promised hot summer comes and they are all sold out. We think the tower type may be easier to store and more economical on space in use than the normal round desk ones but we are unsure as to whether they will be as good at keeping things cool. They may be better at preventing everything blowing around though....?

G.
 

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
Joined
·
14,576 Posts
Hi
We have one at home, it is good in that it fits into a small space but it is much noisier that a normal round fan type. There is a difference in the way it works too...the air is moved much faster than with the fan type so it is not so relaxing...if you see what I mean. If like us you can find one at around £20 give it a whirl :lol: :lol:

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike; I was going to order one off the internet but I think we'll now go and listen to them first and see if we can live with one !

( I gave up on the fan heater 'cos it was driving me mad)

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We went off and listened to various fans and bought a Prem-i-air pedestal one. It's going back this afternoon ! It has a terrible high-pitched whine that was irritating after 2 minutes in our living room so what it would do in a small van for hours at a time......

It's also got another feature which seems designed to send you mad. This is the "natural breeze" function which turns the fan to fast ,slow or medium speeds for a few seconds at a time on a random basis. Anything more calculated to draw attention to the fan I've yet to hear.

Other than that is does seem as efficient at air-moving as our traditional round fan and is quite quiet ( bar the whine - a fault I think not a feature) It also takes up a lot less space.

We'll have another go this afternoon.

G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Grizzly said:
We went off and listened to various fans and bought a Prem-i-air pedestal one. It's going back this afternoon ! It has a terrible high-pitched whine that was irritating after 2 minutes in our living room so what it would do in a small van for hours at a time......

It's also got another feature which seems designed to send you mad. This is the "natural breeze" function which turns the fan to fast ,slow or medium speeds for a few seconds at a time on a random basis. Anything more calculated to draw attention to the fan I've yet to hear.

Other than that is does seem as efficient at air-moving as our traditional round fan and is quite quiet ( bar the whine - a fault I think not a feature) It also takes up a lot less space.

We'll have another go this afternoon.

G.
We have a couple of the Bionaire with remote control for use around the house. IMHO they are toooo powerful for the Motorhome we have. They are very efficient though. Ours are no more noisier than any other type of fan. I have the option of a brilliant 12 volt fan bought in Devon after the Mlist meet last september. Also have a similar smaller electric fan. Dont take both at the same time. Probably take the 12 volt one when we go to France as it is really great & efficient.

Motorhomer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this advice Motorhomer. We've always taken a normal round mains fan when we were caravanners and it used to stand on a shelf under the front windows in use and on the floor while travelling.

In the MH we now have we don't have a similar space for it and it would be in the way on the TV shelf or the kitchen worktop ( such as it is) There is not room for it to stand upright on the luton "shelf". We've also ruined one fan squashing it up in the car to travel across Europe to a holiday villa and don't want a repeat with another.

We thought a tower fan would answer all our problems; floorstanding between the cab seats when in use, more streamlined to pack into a floor locker or in the luton and less bulky to get in the way when operating.

Perhaps the answer is to go away in the spring and autumn and avoid high summer ? ! :?

Back to the drawing board......

G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Grizzly said:
Thanks for this advice Motorhomer. We've always taken a normal round mains fan when we were caravanners and it used to stand on a shelf under the front windows in use and on the floor while travelling.

In the MH we now have we don't have a similar space for it and it would be in the way on the TV shelf or the kitchen worktop ( such as it is) There is not room for it to stand upright on the luton "shelf". We've also ruined one fan squashing it up in the car to travel across Europe to a holiday villa and don't want a repeat with another.

We thought a tower fan would answer all our problems; floorstanding between the cab seats when in use, more streamlined to pack into a floor locker or in the luton and less bulky to get in the way when operating.

Perhaps the answer is to go away in the spring and autumn and avoid high summer ? ! :?

Back to the drawing board......

G.
Hi Again

Again IMHO it is not ideal to keep lifting a tower fan about to much. It is very easy to damage the swiveling part of it. It seems to get buckled very easily. The two fans I spoke of in my post are flat not like the traditional fan. They both pack flat in abox no deeper than about 3" x aprox 12 "x 12" for the 12volt on and a bit smaller for the electric one. They are both like this. http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=868.
I think my 12 volt one is that one bot not sure. Will look for you when I go outside. Its raining at the moment. Used to have mine on the table or ont the worktop in the old van. May use it on a little slatted stool we use as a little drinks table & put it up in the cab area. Yet to have some good hot weather to test it out in our new van.

Motorhomer

Motorhomer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've taken the Prem-I-Air back and are going to the Newbury show tomorrow to look at 12v ones. We like the look of the one you recommend Motorhomer.

Thanks all for your help and advice; you've saved us making what could have been an expensive mistake and finishing up with something that did not do the job we wanted.

Gold star for motorhomefacts.com ! :D

G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Grizzly said:
We've taken the Prem-I-Air back and are going to the Newbury show tomorrow to look at 12v ones. We like the look of the one you recommend Motorhomer.

Thanks all for your help and advice; you've saved us making what could have been an expensive mistake and finishing up with something that did not do the job we wanted.

Gold star for motorhomefacts.com ! :D

G.
We bought ours at the only camping caravan supplies shop not far from the CCC site at damage Barton in North devon. The name escapes me at the moment.. Certainly much easier to pack & extremely efficient.

Motorhomer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Grizzly said:
Has anyone had any experience of using a tower type fan in their MH ( or at home ?)

We want to buy one now before the promised hot summer comes and they are all sold out. We think the tower type may be easier to store and more economical on space in use than the normal round desk ones but we are unsure as to whether they will be as good at keeping things cool. They may be better at preventing everything blowing around though....?

G.
Have found some info for you

The web address on the box iswww.fantastic vent .com.

You can get these fans in UK at www.novaleisure.com in-

Enquiries: [email protected]
Sales: [email protected]

Contact Us by Telephone

01604 780022

Contact Us by Post

Nova Leisure Limited
3 Mere Farm Business Complex
Redhouse Lane
Hannington
Northamptonshire
NN6 9SZ

Contact Us by Fax

01604 780033

They have a find the nearest place to by search.

The name of the place we got ours from was here:-

MULLACOTT CROSS CARAVANS
Postcode Area: EX34 MULLACOTT CROSS, ILFRACOMBE, DEVON EX34 8NB
Tel: 01271 862212

Hope this helps

Motorhomer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone.

Newbury show were a bit disappointing on fan -we only found one box fan ( that's what they are called - now we know) , but we bought it and are pleased with it. It's a mains one but fits neatly up in the front of the luton and seems to do the trick. We'll see how we go on and how much non-hookup camping we do before deciding about a 12v one.

G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,939 Posts
MOTORHOMER said:
johnsandywhite said:
:D Only too happy to be of assistance MOTORHOMER. :D
Thats how I got the piccy in the first place but other half wanted the computer

Motorhomer
If you had 2 computers (or more) it wouldn't be a problem (sorry about that). :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
johnsandywhite said:
MOTORHOMER said:
johnsandywhite said:
:D Only too happy to be of assistance MOTORHOMER. :D
Thats how I got the piccy in the first place but other half wanted the computer

Motorhomer
If you had 2 computers (or more) it wouldn't be a problem (sorry about that). :cry:
We have three but only one on the internet at the moment. Waiting for himself to fit the kit he bought.

Motorhomer
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top