Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a car to tow behind my motorhome..
My wife prefers an automatic,but dislikes the Smart car (not big enough to carry grandchildren).I have seen a Punto for sale ,on E bay,that has a tiptronic gearbox.Does anybody know if a Punto with this type of gearbox, is towable without doing damage?Has anyone one had experience?
I understand that towing auto Smart cars is not recommended,but many tow them for thousands of miles.Does this apply to the Fiats?
All answers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
The "Tiptronic" doesn't help as this can just be a loose description of a paddle shift. You need to research the gearbox. If it is similar to a Smart in that it is a manual gearbox with an electronically actuated clutch and gearchange then it is OK. The Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroen C4 1.6HDI are all suitable.
Gerry

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
backaxle said:
Thanks for the replies,but I was really interested in a Fiat Punto Auto.Would love an Aygo ,but alas I can't afford one as a TOAD.
Have a look at the gear selector in the Punto and if it is similar to the one in a Smart or the Toyota, ie. it has just selection for Reverse and then + and - for the forward gears then the chances are that it is an automated manual box.
Then speak to the service department at the local Fiat dealer to check.
If this all confirms that this is such a box then you are ok.
If the selector has the normal P-R-N-D-2-L configuration then it is a conventional auto box and must not be towed.
Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.