Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am currently living in Japan and considering importing a Toyota Camroad into the UK. Can anyone put me in touch with anyone who has done this before or has owned a Toyota Camroad in the UK.

Also I am presuming I would need to get the van rewired from 100 v to 240v. Is this necessary to pass the IVA import inspection or just so that I can use campsite hook ups.

Many thanks for any help that you can offer and for this wonderful site.

Karl

·
Premium Member
27,817 Posts
Would this be regarded as a 'grey' import Karl? If so it's fraught with hoops and hurdles.
I'm not sure about changing the volts to 220 being mandatory but certainly convenient. Unless you use a transformer on the mains feed.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
27,817 Posts
All depends which plug you plug into Jean. 240 used to be the UK standard but I seem to remember Euro standardisation at 220 a while ago.
Maybe now the UK has cut itself 'free' from Europe it can just jack up their volts again.

Ray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply. What is a grey import? As I am living in Japan I would not have to pay any import duties on importing to the UK so this seemed a good opportunity.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,817 Posts
Yes Karl. I guess this is a problem others have come across. As it's not a regular import that certified as conforming you will have to undergo many inspections to prove it complies with the UK Construction and Regulations.
I have never done a 'grey' import from the East but several US vehicles and one I gave up on. Check up the requirements before shipping as it could have to be shipped back or sold off.
I guess there must be info online somewhere if you look.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
A quick internet search will find a few companies that import from Japan then retail them in the UK.
They might be able to help?

Reactions: raynipper
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.