Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last one tonight.... Honest!

So we have the new Motorhome. Now we need the toys, well ok not need but I want!!
Iv'e already purchased the Oyster Caro Sat dish, and have a receiver.

Now I'm interested in some of the following and if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. So here goes.

Flip down TV 15" or just stick to a normal LCD with DVD (It's a small van)

I have a Sat nav but I also would like a reversing camera and don't like clutter around the dash, so I was looking at an all in one double Din audio units like the Pioneer 900BT It's a bit pricey but is it any good?

Our van does not have an oven fitted (£430 to fit one) Question is do we really need one? or is that cupboard more useful?

Power iinverter Yes No? Sine wave or Mod Wave? What wattage?

Rear driveway awning anyone know of a suitable one for a rear door mmotorhome

Mattress Toppers? I guess we need something to cover all the ccushionjoins but what is the best solution (these will need to be stored)

What Barbecue? Where can I get an outside BBQ gas point from?

I'm also thinking of a solar panel as we do a bit of wild camping, I have a 120a battery. I'm not yet sure of how much space will be left on the roof once Iv'e fitted the sat dish? Would say a 60watt panel be adequate?

Any help! suggestions!
Brian & Lorraine

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi I cannot answer all your questions but offer an opinion on some.

Oven - Don't bother, we never use ours except to store Remoska in. Buy a medium size Remoska from Lakeland about £80. You will find lots of info about Remoska on the forum.

Drive away awning - Do you really need one? We bought one and only used it if staying in one place for about a week. It is now sold. We have a utility tent which is very easy to put up and weighs far less than an awning. Good for storing bikes and chairs etc when on site.

We have Avtex TV 15" which has integrated Freeview, DVD, CD, etc. You will find info about this on the forum.

We have satnav and rear view camera but they are separate. Rear view camera is on all the time I am driving and is fixed to the rear view mirror.
I wouldn't be without either but prefer them separate otherwise if unit goes wrong you could be without both sat nav and rear view.

Mattress cover - We use different tog rated duvets for top and bottom. They can be changed over depending on the climate and give padding over the joined up cushions if you have them.

Inverter - Never used one or felt the need in 30 years of caravan and motorhome.

Solar panel- We have one on our current MH but it is only big enough to top up the battery.

BBQ- We use a Camping Gaz part grill which screws to the top of a Camping Gaz cylinder.

Remember that you will only have a certain amount of payload available so check that out before buying too many gadgets and then only buy what you really need which may be completely different to what you want.

Well that's my two penny worth.
Regards Chris

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Here,s my two penny worth as well, We are all different so hear goes.
I have used your text and added in answers.

Flip down TV 15" or just stick to a normal LCD with DVD (It's a small van)
Normal LCD TV with a fabric hang over cover seems favoured by many with the Murvi Morello. Compact and discreet.

I have a Sat nav but I also would like a reversing camera and don't like clutter around the dash, so I was looking at an all in one double Din audio units like the Pioneer 900BT It's a bit pricey but is it any good?
Can you fit a monitor for a rear view camera close to the internal rear view mirror? This was the ideal solution in our last van. The tilting camera looks good for use as either rear view or reversing. I would keep sat nav separate and as an add in via the cigarette lighter so you can move it between vehicles and take it to your computer for updates.

Our van does not have an oven fitted (£430 to fit one) Question is do we really need one? or is that cupboard more useful? For my wife this is essential, you can still use it for storage when not in use.

Power inverter Yes No? Sine wave or Mod Wave? What wattage?
What do you want to run? If its just a Laptop then get a Laptop 12 volt adapter. If you have several uses then you need to know if all the equipment you want to run will operate without any damage from a Mod wave. Always purchase an inverter with 50% more capacity than you think you need. a Pure Sine wave will operate anything AC within its power ratings. A mod wave won't always. But the price difference is about 4 - 1.
For example if you want to run an 800 watt microwave oven then its far cheaper to purchase an oven that will work from a mod wave than buy a sine wave inverter. If however you just want to be sure that anything will work then it has to be pure sinewave and trash the plastic.

Rear driveway awning anyone know of a suitable one for a rear door mmotorhome Dunno, we use a wind out and have small motorbikes to get around locally.

Mattress Toppers? I guess we need something to cover all the ccushion joins but what is the best solution (these will need to be stored)
Rascelf seem to lead the field on toppers. Yes its chunky, work out where you are going to store it first.

What Barbecue? Where can I get an outside BBQ gas point from?
All good Motorhome and caravan dealers shops will sell gas outlets. You will also need some copper pipe, an additional master gas valve ashould be fitted to your existing line of gas taps if the BBQ point is fitted correctly. We (I) just use a gas ring purchased in a French hardware shop and a lump of iron on top. Cadak seems to be liked by quite a few people.

I'm also thinking of a solar panel as we do a bit of wild camping, I have a 120a battery. I'm not yet sure of how much space will be left on the roof once Iv'e fitted the sat dish? Would say a 60watt panel be adequate?

I would fit the biggest panel I had space for. If you can get an 80 watt BP multicrystaline panel these are good. Marlec Engineering are distributors.

Hope that helps

C.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chris,
It's that fine line between Need & Want!! We brought a safari room for our last van on impulse and put it up just the once, so I know what you mean. I Never heard of a Remoska before so I shall be looking that up on the internet. It's great and very useful to get other peoples ideas and knowledge. what reverse camera do you have fitted and how good would you say the quality was both day & night? I have looked at a few that are attached to the rear mirror and thought it was a good idea!
I agree payload is going to be our problem along with actual storage space, so that's why I'm thinking of an external gas fitting, so as to avoid an extra bottle (We have a BP light weight bottle at present)

The main use for the inverter would be for my laptop.. That is a must as battery power on it only lasts an hour.. may have to get a little netbook?

Many thanks for your tuppance worth, much appreciated.
Brian

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Brian The rearview camera was fitted by Auto-Sleeper as part of a package when we bought the MH. It is made by Veba but there are others on the market.
I do not drive at night but daytime it is very good for seeing what is behind.
If you do a search on the MH Facts forum on Remoska you will find lots of comments. It can be used for roasting, stewing, fryings, baking or just to reheat ready meals. It it only about 500 watts so provided you have a mains hookup power is not a problem.
As for BBQ you could consider the Cadac Safari chef. We have one as well as the Party Grill but prefer the Party Grill because there is less to carry and when we go out of UK we always carry a camping Gaz cylinder for emergency use anyway.

I use a laptop in the MH and just plug into mains if battery power is low.

Of course many of my points are dependant on using electric hookup so if you intend to use Aires or wild camp they may not be suitable.
Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
22,842 Posts
Only buy what you REALLY need, it might be NICE but is it essential?

We have a portable Tom Tom satellite system - can be used inthe car and the van. Works well.

We have an oven (gas powered) and use it frequently.

We do not use mattress covers and sleep perfectly well.

I fitted a wireless reversing camera which is adequate but I would not go overboard for it - an installed hard wire one with a bigger screen MIGHT be more useful but is NOT essential from our rexperience.

We are just having an external gas point fitted for use with a new Cadac barbecue etc - for use outside if/when weather is hot (we spend time in France).

Have never used an inverter, if on EHU it is not needed, if not they do use a lot of power IMHO, so for us is NOT essential (we have a laptop supply for the laptop if we NEED to take it, but if overseas we use internet cafe every few days.

We have a solar panel to top up leisure battery (and vehicle if leisure full), agree it is best to buy biggest you can.

Drive away awnings? Not suitable for our vehicle but we do have a free standing gazebo that we use on week long stays.

Agree Avtex TV is best - we have an old one and a plug in DVD player for it (12v), plus satellite dish.

So the simple answer is only get what you NEED but different people NEED different things, but it is easy to clear out the accessory shop and never use 95% of it.

Hope that helps - we are all unique!

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
What Penquin said, but if possible go home and think about it before parting with very much hard-earned!!

We were at the show yesterday (it didn't rain - where's the "smug grin emoticon when you need it?) and could easily have been tempted by quite a few wonderful gadgets.

We came home with four acrylic tumblers, a small measuring jug and a fold-flat colander. Total expenditure about a tenner. 8O

I won't list the things we nearly bought (and would have in our early days :oops: :oops: ) but bitter experience has taught us how easy it is to get carried away in the shop or at the show.

The "nearly bought" list included one item costing several hundred quid - but in the cold light of the next day, we don't need it and it would have been a pain in the rrrrrs to store when not in use. 8O

Hope this helps

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.