Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My awning is ingrained with sap, i have tried various cleaners to remove it but to no avail. Does anyone have a magic solution to remove the sap. Thank in advance Smiler

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
smiler said:
My awning is ingrained with sap, i have tried various cleaners to remove it but to no avail. Does anyone have a magic solution to remove the sap. Thank in advance Smiler
Try holding down ctrl alt delete at the same time, then highlight 'tree sap on awning' and then click end task.

That should cure it. :twisted:

ps, you've posted your question in computer help!

I don't know anything about tree sap ingrained awnings (or computers come to that) so can't advise. I suspect your awning may be permanently discoloured though :(

Hopefully someone else will be able to help :D

David

Ah someone has already spotted this whilst I was typing, so now I look like a $*$$

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
b16duv said:
Ah someone has already spotted this whilst I was typing, so now I look like a $*$$
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
autostratus said:
b16duv said:
:D :D :D :D
bleedin mod'rators sneaking about behind everyones back, changing things willy nilly, just cos they know how to upload photos, give someone a uniform and they turn into............

It was originally in computer help though? or am i going mad?(der)

d

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
b16duv said:
It was originally in computer help though? or am i going mad?(der)

d
No you're not going mad, it really was in Computer Help. :(

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Seriously:parking under large trees can result in unwanted deposits of a sticky substance on the awning. Most people assume this is tree sap, but the real culprit is far more likely to be insect honeydew, excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches.

You can use a water based paint remover to remove it from cars bodies. It woud be worth trying this on a small part of the fabric t make sure it doesn't damage it.
I lifted this from the net.
Good luck

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
smiler said:
Hi smiler (like the username, makes me smile :D )

It might help members who give advice if you could state which cleaners you have tried, save members going over the same ground so to speak :wink:

I know a lot of people rate Fenwicks products, if you haven't tried it, might be worth a go, £2.99 at Halfords or accessory shops.

http://www.fenwicks.info/Awning & Gazebo Cleaner.htm

MHS...Rob :D

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, sorry for posting in the wrong place(senior moment) Have tried Fenwicks and some German products to no avail, will give traffic film remover ago

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Tree Sap Remover

I had this problem on our car some years ago - I think it was due to pine trees leaking a kind of resin... (Probably in the South of France...)

Anyway - on the advice of the local campsite operator we bought some lamp spirit - I think it was called benzole or similar (I think I have a bottle in the garage still - I will go and check in a bit) but it worked a treat.

Moisten a soft cloth with the spirit and rub gently over the sap deposit - hey presto it vanished! :wink:

Nothing else seemed to touch it but the lamp spirit just dissolved the resin

Cheers

Dave

PS obviously would be prudent to test on a hidden bit of awning first - in case it dissolves that too 8O

Found it - it's denatured alcohol (Alcool a Bruler)

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
bigbazza said:
Seriously:-
You can use a water based paint remover to remove it from cars bodies. It woud be worth trying this on a small part of the fabric t make sure it doesn't damage it.
I lifted this from the net.
Good luck
I have a similar problem, I have to park under trees in my drive and it makes a real mess of the motorhome roof. Its hell to clean and I have tried all sorts to make the job easier. So far the best, but not totally satisfactory, has been Autoglym Engine cleaner. Shifts most of it but still won't shift the real big dried on blobs without much hard labour, made even more difficult by hard to reach areas of a high roof. Thanks for the tip bigazza I'll try it and if I can get it really clean I will have to make a more determined effort to cover it when not in use.

peedee

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,632 Posts
We must have good natured sap above ours, simple, left it til it stopped dropping, then used a bucket of water with washing up liquid in it, car washing brush with a long handle, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes to soak into it, give it a good going over with the brush again and rinse it off.

It helps if you can walk on the roof, or park next to a wall or something, steps are dodgy to use.

Simples.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I have had my problem tree pruned back this year to keep it more under control. Its a horse chestnut but I think it is as bigbazza says, it is what lives in the trees that cause the problem.

peedee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.