Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone has come across the phenomenon of what sounds like a backfire from their boiler. I know that this noise if amplified by the exhaust pipe rattling within the protective heat shield but it sounds too loud to us to be normal.

What is annoying is that it does not happen everytime and cannot be replicated at will. We had the thermostat replaced because we were advised that overheating was a problem but this has not cured the problem.

It sounds like the boiler is trying to fire up. Sometimes we get a series of "whrumps" then it fires and sometime just one and again sometime nothing but the normal gentle sound of the boiler firing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Incidentally, it does seem more prevalent when its cooler outside

Many thnaks in advance

Peter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DTP - how do I check that its not "air in the system". As we have already been to a local Truma appointed service agent and they changed the thermostat, to no avail you can imagine my reluctance to go back.

Does anyone know a first class truma service agent in Oxfordshire?

Thanks for your help

PEter.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Truma

Hello,

Ours has always done this. First time we were in Norway in the middle of nowhere and my wife thought we were being attacked.

We changed the regulator as the previous owner had fitted the wrong mbar. It went better for a while and then started to occasionaly do it again. Only occasionally does it fail to light, giving the red lamp symptom. Switching the system off then back on resolves the problem.

Trev

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a way I am so relieved - because that is exactly what it sounds like - a series of bangs on the van. To be fair our boiler has never failed to ignite but it sounds like someone is banging on the van three or four time then its fine again.

Anyone reading this got any ideas? Is this just something that happens?

Thanks again for you input

Peter.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Here's a shot in the dark Peter:

Do you use butane?
Reason I'm asking is that you say it's worse in cold weather - and butane won't vaporise properly when it's cold. Our boiler does similar to yours just before the (propane) gas bottle runs out, presumably down to low pressure at the burner once the gas valve opens fully.

I'm reluctant to say I think you're worrying unnecessarily because I'm no expert and if you're in any doubt you should let a professional sort it for you, but TBH I think you may be worrying about something that happens on many Truma boilers occasionally.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TRUMA pop

Our,s has done the popping and the woooomp bit for seven years now , as Trev said sometimes we get the red light , but switch it off then back on and it works fine . We thought it was just the gas going to the boiler as it only happens when we turn the gas on at the bottle . I think they all do it nothing to worry about. ALAN

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks to everyone for their comments. It reminds me why I joined this group in the first place.

Thank you Gaspode for your thoughts. We use propane but in fairness the boiler is a way from the tanks and it only happens when its cooler or in fact downright cold. We have truma regulator heaters so I might try leaving them on overnight and see if that helps.

Either way its good to know Hymietoo will not be going into orbit just yet.

Thanks again to everyone

Cheers
Peter

·
Premium Member
27,797 Posts
Hi Peter,
Having been used to the 'whooomph' when our American heaters fire up we also we concerned the first time our Truma seemed to explode with a clap of thunder.
But now it only seems to happen as and when we connect a new bottle so I assume it must be a weak mixture.

Ray.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
We had this banging when we bought our Hymer. After a couple of times the red light came on and refused to light. The dealer had to change the boiler - it was something to do with probes in the bottom which couldn't be replaced according to the gas fitter they sent to sort it out.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
I suspect that if the gas pressure drops slightly the ring of flame around the burner may be interrupted and on re-lighting makes a pop.

Before the bang, if you listen carefully can you hear the click click click of the igniter?

How long after turn on does it happen, and does it do it every time or just intermittantly?

I would suspect that you need a new regulator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Truma "backfire"

derekfaeberwick said:
Click click click Whump ring a bell? I'm used to it now and generally sleep through it. No worries.
I was told that "they all do that, sir" if they have been converted (different jets, I guess) to run on LPG like mine does.

Once you get used to the "incoming !" sounds and learn to relax and have confidence that after all the false starts it WILL fire up you learn to relax about it. (Or so the seller told me :wink:)

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Re: Truma "backfire"

advancedroadcraft said:
derekfaeberwick said:
Click click click Whump ring a bell? I'm used to it now and generally sleep through it. No worries.
I was told that "they all do that, sir" if they have been converted (different jets, I guess) to run on LPG like mine does.

Once you get used to the "incoming !" sounds and learn to relax and have confidence that after all the false starts it WILL fire up you learn to relax about it. (Or so the seller told me :wink:)
They are not converted, they are only designed for LPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.