Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Bit of a newbie still I'm afraid :oops: ( had our M/H for 3 weeks)

We are wanting to get a LCD TV with DVD and Freeview. We plan to stay mostly on campsites with EHU.

I may well do a couple of nights wildcamping with our kids but Mrs Dafo says she'd rather stay at home with a bottle of wine. :lol:

Do you guys recommend we get a 12V TV or a standard 230V which we can plug straight in to the sockets in the van.

If I do go wildcamping ( 50 / 50) we have bought a silent generator to recharge the batteries - but also mindful of noise etc

Replies and advice greatly received

Dave

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello Dave and Lin,

Being ever conscious that one man’s meat is another man’s poison:

A couple of years ago my wife and I spent 7 weeks touring Ireland and took along a Portable TV & DVD Player. As there always seemed to be so many other things to occupy our time (getting around locally/reading up & planning ahead/enjoying the Irish pubs & music/the crack/reading/cards/crosswords etc) we never did get around to using either the TV or the DVD player.

Unless your wife and family has an addiction to soaps and other regular programmes you could all discover that life without TV can be quite pleasantly bearable; particularly as today’s news indicates that one third of the whole BBC output is of repeated programmes and one good reason for Motorhoming is exploring and ‘getting away from it all’.
And please tell Lin that a good red wine really does travel well and can taste even better in the fresh air with a pleasant view!

If you should be missing anything that is any good whilst away then you could:
Record it at home
Watch the eventual repeats
Adjourn to a local hostelry

I don’t know if we are in the minority but we are usually away for only a few days at a time and we have not used a TV/DVD in our MH since before our Ireland tour.

Dave, I am no avid tree-hugger but a ‘green’ advantage of No-MH-TV is that power is saved (whether on an electric hook-up or not) so you could even convince your wife & family that ‘you are all helping to save the planet’.

I’m sure that the TV-Watching MHF-ers will provide plenty of alternative advice and, if you search carefully, there is also a lot to be found on this excellent web-site regarding Power and Generators.

Meanwhile – Happy Motorhoming and I hope that you all enjoy your new hobby, with or without TV!

Bob L

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
hi buy one that does both bought umc 17" off ebay £90 brilliant picture and as low power output, lot of sellers dont realise they are 12/240 so do your research and save a packet

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Agree.. We have a UMC TV with built in DVD.. It comes with a mains adaptor that converts down to 12v.
When at rallies etc with no hook up we run straight from the 12v socket in van... When on campsites we use the supplied mains adaptor.
"Simples"....

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,651 Posts
I'll throw in my tuppence worth too, if I were to be looking now I'd go for this one, and it's dual voltage, just tape a few hours worth before you go, save the cost of DVD's etc, and watch all your fave progs, PVR's are the way to go, if you still wan to watch a DVD or three there are plenty around as cheap as £15 or maybe even less.

We only usually watch a couple of hours once it's gone to dark to see outside.

Kev.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.