Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having to buy aTV for our motorhome. after looking in a few caravan and camping shops for 7 in 1 12v types are very expensive.
looking in comet this afternoon they have the same for half the price working on 12v through a transformer to a 240 socket.
am i right in thinking i could play it directly through the 12v socket in my motorhome and go direct to the TV and not using the mains unless on hookup. None of the small TV s in comet were advertising them as 12v.

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Hi Skusy

This is one of those perennial teasers. In theory, the 'proper' 7-in-1 Avtex type TVs are designed for the job. The problem is that the 12V in your van might not be 12V. It could go up to 14V when you're charging your battery (on hookup, for example), or might drop below 12V as the battery is discharged. The genuine TVs are designed to work off this range of voltages.

The TVs in Comet and the like are designed to be used with the supplied power supply, so whatever your mains voltage does at home, the power pack will supply more-or-less exactly 12V dc, continuously.

Having said that, of course, there are many on MHF who have done just as you've asked about (running the 12V domestic telly off a mobile 12V supply) without any problem. And I'm sure some of them will be along soon to tell you that.

I think the choice is yours. You may be lucky, and have many years of cheap TV pleasure. You may be unlucky, and have a problem. If there's evidence of you using the TV without its power pack, your warranty might be invalid.

Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice ....

Gerald

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Regulator

Hello,

Shane at SnellyVision These things which Is what I think you need.

We have a Toshiba that runs on 12v via the supplied transformer. However, we just run it straight of 12v via a regulated supply.

Give him a call on (01472) 258620 if you need more help. Very helpful and may even sell you a telly!.

Trev.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.