Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My pal and I are doing a 6 week tour in my Ford Aragon. Hoping to go to S France, Dolomites, Swiss Alps, Croatia, Slovenia. I've never been abroad in my van before and am a complete newbie. We starting our journey by collecting my parents at Southampton and driving them via the Chunnel down to S France with their two dogs. After that we'll hit the open road. I have a few questions...
1) I need a good campsite about 2 hours from the tunnel in France so I can drive a wee way and then get a good sleep.
2) Anything we should be aware of now? Hazards, stuff we need to take with us?
3) Any good or invaluable tips for us on our travels?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
First priority will be checking legal stuff ie driving license, mot, insurance, health cards then motoring requirements. Light deflectors, hi vis jackets, spare bulbs..

It's a great adventure and you will enjoy it.. Just do some searches on here and you'll probably find most the answers. Check out the campsite database as well...

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I'll start the list:

Beam benders
First Aid Kitg
Spare bulbs for all lights
Emergency triangle
Yellow jackets if walking around broken vehicle

(Above is compulsory)

You need original documents for vehicle and insurance etc.

If you stop over on the motorway parking places for the night, only do so at the ones with a garage and shops and park in a well lit area.

Do not use the service stations where you have to park up and then walk across a bridge on the motorway to get to the resturants nor the ones with the resturants in the middle of the bridge as this give robbers plenty of time to do your van.

Pay boxes on the motorway are mostly on the passenger side so ensure the passenger is armed with funds or card.

If flagged down by unmarked cars carry on driving to the next service station and if they point to your tyres carry on anyway.

Someone eles's turn as I have writers block.

Bon voyage. you will have a brilliant time provided you take common sense with you as well.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
good luck!
You will have the time of your life!
A guy "Erik" did this with his mate - see http://eric-on-tour.blogspot.com/ - they had a hell of a hoot!
We've done it but can't help in the countries you mention - though they are on our list for next time.
We have tips n stuff on http://www.doyourdream.co.uk which may be useful. Also GPS downloads there and a list of things you need to take,.

Suggest you, at the least, look up "camping cheque", "acsi", and get a good euro version of TomTom and upload GPS links for sites! You also need to consider gas as calor is not available in Europe.

Also, seriously, don't know how girlie you are, but if you are a "real girl" best you get some practice in basic DIY as something will break and its always best to know roughly what does what.

You WILL have a great time!

PS - one last time (folloing your other thread) - is it appears you don't seem to be a "retired type" - in which case don't bother with a TV. Take some DVDs and a laptop. We bought digital TV, satelite etc, but in 6 months never used it! The only thing we did watch (via internet blah blah) was Dr Who Xmas Special! The world is more exciting and its a really good detox!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice site at pont-de-l/arche just south of rouen municipal e 10 per night inc elec,take a16 to junc 29 then on to n1 just before abbeville take a28 free motorwy when you come out of tunnel at rouen large flower bed on left get in rh lane to traffic lights at t junction church in front of you tl then bear right past church on to n15 camp site signposted just after crossing bridge in pont-de-l-arche.nice little town.
enjoy yourselves.
Pete.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
When are you leaving?

There may be one of us going at the same time, and it might help to have someone else along for the first couple of hundred miles, until you feel comfortable.

Andrew

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi remember Croatia is not in the EU yet so you might need a green card from your insurance company also watch your phone calls home from here as most mobiles charge £1.40 min. As for driving on the right it just comes natural after a bit so just enjoy yourselves and take each day as it comes

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
why are you not crossing on the overnight from portsmouth ? it would cut 300+ miles and a day and a half off of the trip south and will give you a full day of driving in daylight on your 1st day in france
chapter

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Dolomites

Hi

If you are going to the Pordoi and Sella Passes - roads in the Dolomites - I advise that you come down in the same gear that you use to go up. (Gear as in gear box, not gear as in clothes).

Russell

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi and good luck on your travels.
A great site for your first night is the camping municipal in Chalon en Champagne just through Reims. Its more than two hours but usually just under three hours from Calais. We found it by chance but then saw it was voted best site in the caravan club magazine.Its small, very very clean and tidy and the staff are very friendly. It has a small outdoor restaurant / snack bar so ideal for that first night. It is also ideally placed for the vets on your return leg if travelling with dogs, and at 41 euro for two dogs the cheapest I have heard about.
Click to view the campsite
JP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help. So I have one day to go until I leave and now I know I should have done my homework earlier and got Gaslow.
So I guess it'll be 2x6kg Calor for us and fingers crossed!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.