Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry to raise Tyres again and their ageing.

I do understand the logic of carrying your precious cargo in a multi-thousand pound vehicle and the replacement tyres are only a mere fraction of the price.........!!!

However, comma!!

My Conti Vanco 8's are 7-years old with 22K miles, 7mm depth rear & 8 mm front (RWD Merc) and I have been following another thread relating to Conti performance etc.

I have just checked the Continetal Web page and found the "definitive" statement ??

Tyres, more than 10 years old should be changes and any sign of cracking/glazing etc before 10-years should be replaced.
http://www.conti-online.com/generat.../tyres_for_life/themes/how_old/Howold_en.html

I have checked mine, clearly not the inside, but externally they have no cracks in the places expected.

Should I spend my hard-earned on air suspension this year and new tyres in 18-months instead???

Trev

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hi,
I suppose you could ask your local tyre company to remove the tyres from the rims for an inspection of the insides, mine had slight cracking on the sidewalls at 6 years old and 14.000 miles, I don't expect to have it in 6 years time so why change them and then sell it the folowing year? It's a peace of mind thing I suppose,
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi,

difficult to say: Some tyre manufacturers even "strongly recommend" to replace tyres after just six years, not ten.

To a certain degree, such statements are certainly marketing-driven, but it is true that tyres do age, and with age the probability for a spontaneous blow-out rises.

So, the decision is up to you. Personally, I would not trust MH tyres of more than 8 years age. But so far I have never been in that situation, I had to replace tyres after 6 years just because they were worn out.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Tyres

Hello,

Change them, Now is my humble opinion.

Your life driving around an exepensive motorhome and the only thing between you and the tarmac is 4 or more pieces of rubber.

What size are they?

Trev.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
MH's run at near maximum weight all the time.
They also stand for long periods.
Deterioration often can't be seen.
Very few tyre depot 'experts' take the above into consideration.

5 years, every 5 years and only 5 years is my long term rigid belief.
Many others do it differently!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Tyres

teemyob said:
Hello,

Your life driving around an exepensive motorhome and the only thing between you and the tarmac is 4 or more pieces of rubber.

What size are they?

Trev.
225/70/R15 110/112 rating. Probably change to newer Vanco-2 or Vanco Winter-2.

Would like Conti-motorhome tyres recently released, but they only come in 16 inch varieties.

Trev

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
You will not find any cracking inside a tyre as it will have a butyl liner and gets no sunlight etc.

I would say the best advise is if they are 6 Year's old they are close to the end of the working life, so new one's would be a good investment.

The fact you have so much tread left on them makes changing them even more important as this would probaly confirm that they have stood around a lot which is one of the worst things you can do to a tyre.

Just my opinion's

Richard...

·
Registered
13 Posts
EJB said:
MH's run at near maximum weight all the time.
They also stand for long periods.
Deterioration often can't be seen.
Very few tyre depot 'experts' take the above into consideration.

5 years, every 5 years and only 5 years is my long term rigid belief.
Many others do it differently!
I would agree with your statement in full.........

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tyre Life

I'm with EJB on this one - five years whatever the tread left. Try looking at the alternative - if the worst comes to the worst and you have a blowout as a result, you could write off X thousands poundsworth of vehicle, and possibly kill yourselves and/or others.

Worth it ? Not in my book.

Smick

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Re: Tyres

macone48 said:
teemyob said:
Hello,

What size are they?

Trev.
225/70/R15 110/112 rating. Probably change to newer Vanco-2 or Vanco Winter-2.

Would like Conti-motorhome tyres recently released, but they only come in 16 inch varieties.

Trev
If you want summer Tyres I recomend these

Toyo H08

All Season

Maloya Quadris

Winter

Falken Eurowinters

Trev

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
The Michelin X Camping tyres always seem to crack around the side walls, so replacement at 5 years is imperative.
I now have the latest Michelin Agilis Camping tyres so I hope they are better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear All,

Got down and looked at side walls really closely.

Discovered when you move the motorhome slowly, a few inches at a time, cracks appear at certain points in the rear wheel side walls. Probably where it was sat for long-ish periods (I've only had it 6-months out of the 7 years !!).

No cracks on front.

Have now ordered 4 X Vanco-2 at £76-ish each, fitment next Monday.

Decision made !! Air suspension, delayed !!!

Thanks for all your comments.

Trev

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Grath says
Michelin X Camping tyres always seem to crack around the side walls, so replacement at 5 years is imperative
very interesting, the Michelin XC Camping tyres on my '05 Rapido (4 years on the road, 50k km) are showing signs of sidewall deterioration with cracking and slight bulging in places. I am currently considering Continental Vanco2 or Vanco2 Camping

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can someone explain why the different sort of tyres - summer/winter etc? Are you saying that you change tyres depending on what season you are driving? I probably wont use my van much in the winter (if at all) so are 'summers' sufficient?

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Winters

gorobschnitt said:
Can someone explain why the different sort of tyres - summer/winter etc? Are you saying that you change tyres depending on what season you are driving? I probably wont use my van much in the winter (if at all) so are 'summers' sufficient?
Hello,

Realy we (car/van/truck/bus) should use summer tyres for summer and winter tyres for winter. However, drivers and dealers are either ignorant of this or are unwilling to. There is also the impractible side of storing the unused set of winter tyres. Along side that is the fact that people will say it costs too much. In reality many car drivers would rather spend lots of money on flash alloys, leather seats or very loud disco systems. Hence the reason when severe winter does come, London and indeed many parts of the UK grind to a halt whilst the rest of the Northern European countries amongst others, find yet another reason to laugh at and ridicule us.

The compromise is a decent set of tyres with a good tread pattern. Most small commercial vehicle tyres do have this, unlike car summer tyres that tend to be geared towards resisting aquaplaning.

An even better compromise is all-season or M&S tyres.

You can use a winter tyre in summer, however most summer tyres are useless in winter.

But for all round traction best to swap the tyres for the season. For the UK I would suggest Winters on around October and summers back on April.

You can either buy a spare set of wheels and have some winters fitted, swap them yourself when the time comes or simply get the tyres swapped on the rims twice a year. The cost for this for four tyres should cost no more than £80 a year. In the grand scheme of things not a lot is it realy? Into the bargain you can rotate your tyres X ways (front nearside to rear offside) This will even out wear and exposure of sidewalls to sun. Also you get to give them a good check and see what else may be adrift under the van!.

If you don't venture out in winter, on wet grass and never venture to the Alps, Pyrenees or Scandinavia. Good summer tyres or M&S will be fine.

Trev.

PS "gorobschnitt" the short answer is Yes!. I am just trying to take my mind of things tonight, as one of Our Daughters is in hospital and I am worried and sleepless. Hence the long winded reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.