Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a manual for my motorcaravan so I asked in the local Kwik Fit what the tyre pressures should be. They've told me 48 psi at front & 37psi at back. 8O
This sounds awfully high to me, being used to car tyre pressures that are only in the 30s even when towing a caravan. :?
Can anyone advise? :?:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Doesnt sound enough to me compared with VW/Fiat/Peugeot.
On the drivers door pillars on the above three base vehicles there is normally a sticker with tyre pressure on, ok you may have to convert from bars to lbf/in2 but presume ford would do like the rest. Mt boxer is 59lbs front 65lbs rear, previous VW was 59 front and rear I think
What is your van will get info for you if you come back

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tyre Pressures

Fraid I don't have a sticker on the door pillar.

The base vehicle is a 1989 Ford Transit swb 100 panel van. It is a van conversion by Autosleeper.

Do you need any more info?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tyre

most magazine's recomend ,taking your van to your local weighbridge,and weigh front and rear axel's plus whole van in normal touring trim including passenger's,then phone tyre manufacture's with result's they then will quote you with the correct pressure's :lol: the only doubt i have with this is,that when they checked several weighbridge's around the country with the same van their was discrepance's of around 40 kilo's between them,as they said this is within tollerence's for artic's weighing upto 44 tonne's
pete

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Telephone the Auto Sleepers Service Centre on 01386.853511 and ask them, Very helpful but you need to know the model.

Normally the tranny panel van conversion for A-S is the Duetto but that was anything but a short wheelbase at that time

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a Frisky (by name if not by nature!) I believe it was only made for a couple of years. I've joined the owners club ASOC as their web says they can supply manuals & I wrote & asked for them but they've not materialized yet & in the meantime the (unpowered) steering is getting so heavy I'm sure the front tyres are flatter than they look!
I'll try ringing AS themselves - silly me didn't think of that. I suppose as the van is so old I thought they wouldn't have any records of it now.
Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tyre pressures & ASOC

Yes Dodger I've been on web site for ASOC - that's where I got the details to join. I'll look out for that rally - may see you there.

Rang AS today - they cannot tell me correct tyre pressures as "a van that old is obviously not in the condition it left the factory & has undoubtedly got different tyres on it." They suggested I asked the place I bought the tyres but they were on it when got it. They did finally admit that the 48/37 that Kwik Fit suggested "sounds about right".

So I'll do them at that & ask my usual tyre dealer next time I'm in, see what they say.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I asked a mate who had a couple of Trannies, (neither high tops tho)the first was a Ravenna and he said your quoted pressures seemed about right for him, but he now has a Rienza on the new tranny and that has similar pressures to our boxer.
If you see anyone with a newish (last two years) Duetto, not the old one with the very long wheelbase ask them will be about the same size as yours

·
Registered
14 Posts
my trannys the same as...

i am in the ame boat as caz i have a transit ci motorhome 1984 and tyre pressure is a mystery nobody knows anything .all i get is oh chuck about 45 in that will do front and back but the van handles better with 50 in front and back less body roll etc any tips for me eh?caz i know how you feel roll on summer eh?bye...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.