Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are in the process of buying our first motorhome and have found a really nice Compass Avantgarde 5 berth in Northern Ireland. I live in the south of Ireland and want to register it here but if the unladen weight is less than 3 tonne we are liable for 13.5% vrt on the price over here. If it's over 3 tonne we only have to pay €50.

The log book says the revenue weight is 3.4 tonne and I have seen online the unladen weight is about 2.6 tonne. The present owner got it weighed on a weighbridge this morning but with all contents still onboard and it came in at 3.56 tonne.

Has anyone else gone through the process. There is about €4000 extra in vrt if its under 3t.

thanks
leanna

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
and they say we're overtaxed n the Uk!! :roll:

I would have thought that the unladen weight is well over 3t. If it's been weighed at 3.56, it's over the plated weight anyway!! Best to get everything unloaded (gear in the lockers, bikes, water, clothes, passengers (leave basic fuel in)) and weigh it again. I don;t know what proof your guys want, but the weighbridge certfiicate should be a good guide.

Where did you get the 2.6t from? It depends on the model, what accessories are fitted, how much allowance they make for fuel & water etc.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
To be quite honest, the unladen weight is a little irrelevant, it is the permitted gross weight and what the actual gross weight is that is important.
If your vehicle has a max gross weight of 3400kg, then you should not exceed this and also check to see what the maximum weight is for axle 1 and axle 2 as these also should not be exceeded.
Saying that, there are many of us that do exceed the maximum gross and axle loads, but we are taking a chance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
VRT Ireland

Hi Leana
We looked into this also. We were going to buy a motorhome from the UK and bring it back into Ireland. The 'Mass in Running Order' weight is quoted in a lot of brochures but this IS NOT the weight that the VRO will take into account.

The 'MIRO' weight includes the empty vehicle weight, the drivers weight calculated at 75KG, a 90% fuel capacity, 100% water tank capacity, 2 x 11KG gas bottles and a cable reel.

If you minus these values from the 'Mass in running order' weight that will give you the unladen weight. In our case it was coming in at 3025KG which would have meant that the VRT payable would have been 50 Euro.

You have to be careful on this as they are strict. In the end when I calculated it out I have decided to but in Ireland. I negotiated a good deal and got nearly 9K off the list price. You have to haggle!

If you go onto the Irish customs we-site www.vrt.ie there is a forum on there where you will get all your questions answered regarding importing a motorhome.

Hopr this helps,
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.