Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Huwaei 220 dongle, locked to the WIND network in Italy. The dongle has today been unlocked. I have connected the dongle to my laptop and inserted a T-mobile SIM card, but I cannot connect to the internet. There is no signal strength shown and it looks like the dongle is not responding to the T Mobile SIM.

I know the reception is OK for T Mobile here as when used in my unlocked Vodafone datacard, T Mobile works ok.

So, do I need to be doing something else, other than just adding the SIM?

Thanks

Russell

Any responses will need to be in very simple terminology please.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Hi Russell,

I am no expert by any means and like you I need things explained in simple language but I might, and I stress might be able to help!!!!! 8O

I think you may have to alter your APN settings. If you go to the menu that allows you to alter the APN you will need to put the following information into the relevant boxes:

Operator: - T-Mobile
GPRS APN: - general.t-mobile.uk
Username: - user
Password: - wap

I hope this works!

Sue

PS If you do get a signal but no connection then ring the T Mobile customer services via your phone with the T mobile SIM you are wanting to use and ask them to activate Web n Walk on your phone. Don't tell them you are going to use your T Mobile SIM card in your dongle though as I do not think they would agree to activate this service for you if you told them that. Once Web n Walk is activated and you have entered the correct APN settings etc you should have connection through your unlocked dongle. :D

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dongle

Hi Sue

Thanks for the starting point - I have now got the dongle and T Mobile talking in the sense that there is a full signal indicator and I was able to send a text message. I cannot connect to the internet though as I receive an error message stating "unable to connect to the remote" something or other. I have had this message in the past though when using a T Mobile SIM in the Vodafone datacard.

The SIM is already able to use Web N Walk as it has already done so in the Vodafone datacard.

How did you know to add "general t mobile" etc? Where can that info be found for other networks?

Cheers

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi Russell,

I am asking the obvious here but you are trying to connect using the proper software?

There is a universal application called "MWConn" that you can use. Basically you run it, run config, select the country and network from the drop down menu and off you go.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Software

Hi

No, I am using only the dongle.

Do you have a link to the software please? How does the dongle talk to the software?

I am more than useless with this type of thing!

I can send text messages from the dongle using a T Mobile SIM though. Does that give you any pointers?

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi Russell,

http://mwconn.m.i24.cc/english.html

It is pretty straightforward. Run the Setup program, then run the config, select the Modem (Huawei), select Service Provider whose SIM card you have in the Modem and then run the GPRS program and you should connect.

I don't have it installed on the computer it's on my laptop which is in the MH. So I can't be 100% of the above instructions but it won't be far out and it is easy.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very often networks customize their software for their network and this may include being specif with the sim.

Unlocking the modem sure does unlock it but normaly the next step is to find the generic software for it and reflash the stick with that, take a look at the Huwaei site and see if they have the standard software for that modem, it will just be a file you need to download and run.

Mwconn seems and excellent program, I have all network sims and like to carry one dongle which i flashed to generic but Voda has never worked and i've always had to carry that dongle plus my other becuase i couldnt find the settings to work, im going to try mwconn see if that sorts it, thanks for the link.

Kevin

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dongles

Hi

I am just thinking something...

I have a THREE 169 dongle and I do not want to interfere with that at all.

The other dongle is a WIND one, that is unlocked.

Do I need to remove one or anything before meddling with all this?

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi Russell,

I am unsure of the specifics regarding the modems you mention above. But with the MWconn software it is not flashing anything onto the hardware so I would imagine everything should be ok.

I have been to the motorhome and got the laptop so I can run the MWconn program and give you clearing directions.

Give me 10 mins.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi,

Right - I am taking it that you have extracted all of the MWconn program suite and it now shows under your program list in Windows.

Firstly, run CONFIG-- then select the DEVICE TAB from the top drop down list click the 3rd one in the list HUAWEI (I am presuming it is an Huawei modem?)

Now select the GLOBAL TAB from the top drop down list and select the service provide from the huge list of providers (it'll be right at the bottom under UK - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) then click OK and it should store all your settings.

next go back to the MWconn program suite and this time run the program called GPRS, after a short time (less than a minute) it should connect and you should be surfing.

GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dongles

Do I need to remove the THREE dongle with the THREE SIM and replace it with the unlocked WIND dongle with the T Mobile sim in it before I start all this?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi,

You need to have the unlocked modem connected to the computer - and select from the drop down list the Service Provider that matches the type of SIM card you have in the modem.

i.e Put the modem in, do as above and for the service provider select "UK - T-Mobile"

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dongle

Right, it is there in the list of programs when I run, "start".

I shall remove the THREE dongle and log off for a bit to play and no doubt blow everything up.

Thanks for now.

Russell

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dongle

Right then, this is what I did.

1) Connected the unlocked WIND dongle to the laptop. The usual menu appeared, showing T Mobile as the operator, with the 3G network and the number of strengthbars.

2) I did all the above.

3) In the top left of the screen a little box appeared for a few moments, mentioning CONN etc.

4) "Comm port Comm 5 not available" appeared and the little box disappeared.

I am back on line with THREE after swapping dongles.

Yikes.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Hi,

The only thing I can think of that "may" be throwing it off is possible that the WIND Dongle (I have never seen one) isn't a Huawei Modem - I can't see it being the three software as I have that installed.

Could you try the following.

Run the Wind modem with the THREE sim card in and the THREE connection software to see if it connects?

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dongles

Well there is a lot of effing and blinding going on in here, but still no connection.

I put the THREE SIM into the Wind dongle etc. On the Conn software there is no info for the THREE UK network on the drop down list. However, the SIM card is working in the dongle in so far as I can send a text message using the THREE sim. I tried to connect to the internet and had the same result as when trying with the T Mobile SIM.

The T mobile SIM will connect to the internet using the Vodafone datacard.

I think it is operator error somewhere.

Russell

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.