Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Kipor 2000 "Silent" Generator. I haven't actually used it yet but that is by-the-by.

I am wondering if it would be "safe" to run it in the garage of the motorhome if I fed a pipe from the exhaust to the outside of the MH.

Any thought or info much appreciated?

CHEERS

·
Registered
283 Posts
We do get fumes coming from our garage when we store even the fuel can.

I have run the generator in there and had both side doors open but it does get a lot of noise from the vibration even though it is a "silent" generator.

I have run it sitting on top of a rubber mat but you still hear it throughout the van, so it is not something I would bother doing again especially as I have said you do get fumes from the garage.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,666 Posts
The answer is NO definitely NOT, even the best built MH will have gaps that wouldn't show, all it takes is for you to feel drowsy, and fall asleep, end of story, don't even consider it, carbon monoxide poisoning starts with making you feel sleepy, which is why it's a common way to end it all, we have on in our garage, it comes to be used, if security is an issue get a stout motorcycle chain and a good padlock.

I did notice you said something about extending the exhaust, but don't, one day you won't have it with you or can't be bothered, it could be your last :druid:

If we have a safety related forum this should be moved to it, if we don't have one it's time we did.

Kev.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would suggest that you forget the idea. not only do you need to exhaust the gasses but you do need to maintain a steady flow of fresh air for combustion and also for cooling. If you try to vent the exhaust via 'some sort' of piping then you will disrupt the exhaust back-pressure which will age your machine in days rather than years.

It says on the Kipor casing 'For Outdoor Use Only'. In my opinion you should comply with that.

Cheers, Roger

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ian_n_Suzy said:
Hello,

I have a Kipor 2000 "Silent" Generator. I haven't actually used it yet but that is by-the-by.

I am wondering if it would be "safe" to run it in the garage of the motorhome if I fed a pipe from the exhaust to the outside of the MH.

Any thought or info much appreciated?

CHEERS
It would be very dangerouse practice to run any kind of internal
combustion engine in an enclosed space with the risk of colourless, odourless carbon monoxide drifting into your living area.

Nah, all my instincts would say don't do it.

Your "silent" generator could become a "silent killer"

·
Registered
141 Posts
ytank, I think your reply is the best I have ever seen on a forum.

NUKE - this is a classic, is there a reward for the most sensible, direct, relevant and to the point post?

Sorry for being off-topic

Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.