Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kentish Men and Maids

Anyone in Kent who has a garage they could recommend please...I'm still looking for somewhere to take my Topaz for her service and 1st MOT.

We have a VW garage in Dartford (Beadles) which can do the van for us. They quoted £250 for a small service - I have no idea if this is a reasonable amount or not. The chap I spoke to said that almost £100 of that charge is for the oil as it's the Long Life oil and will take 7 1/2 litres.

Anyway....I can take it there no problem as it's only about 10 miles from where we live but I would still prefer to go somewhere recommended if anyone on here can help.

Cheers
Maura.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
mauramac said:
Hello Kentish Men and Maids

Anyone in Kent who has a garage they could recommend please...I'm still looking for somewhere to take my Topaz for her service and 1st MOT.

We have a VW garage in Dartford (Beadles) which can do the van for us. They quoted £250 for a small service - I have no idea if this is a reasonable amount or not. The chap I spoke to said that almost £100 of that charge is for the oil as it's the Long Life oil and will take 7 1/2 litres.

Anyway....I can take it there no problem as it's only about 10 miles from where we live but I would still prefer to go somewhere recommended if anyone on here can help.

Cheers
Maura.
Hello 'Kentish Maid'

Take a trip to East Sussex, could save you some money!

Peter

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
DARGATE MOT CENTRE
KENT, ME13 9ES FAVERSHAM, LAMBERHURST FARM, DARGATE
garage, services

We use these and they are very good if you are coming down the M2 then onto the A299 thanet way

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
locovan said:
DARGATE MOT CENTRE
KENT, ME13 9ES FAVERSHAM, LAMBERHURST FARM, DARGATE
garage, services

We use these and they are very good if you are coming down the M2 then onto the A299 thanet way
Hi Mavis

Thanks for that I'll give them a call and see if they can fit us in. It's not too far for us and we are often down that way anyway as we love good old Ramsgate 8)
Cheers
Maura

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Doug

That one is a bit closer to home actually so I will have a word with the other half this evening and see which one he prefers. Need to be there for the day so will have to fit in with his work schedule.

Dilly - did you really think £100 for oil was expensive? I don't have a clue as this is first service our van has needed but another VWT5 owner on here told me it wasn't too bad. Garage said it was 7 1/2 litres of Long life oil for my type of van.

Maura

edit: Just found this on Google and maybe my van doesn't need a service just yet as only done 4000 miles - it does need an MOT tho.

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/fleet/long-life-servicing/

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello Maura, Sorry but I dont think Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle engines are of such a high tech that they need a special or better oil than high performance cars or any other commercial vehicle come to that , I think you will find every manufacturer will say use their recommended oil only, as long as the right type of oil is used ie semi or fully synthetic etc and the correct viscocity you cant go wrong .
I will just mention that i used to own a 200bhp Saab 9000 Turbo , that engine had covered over 240,000 miles when i sold it and the last 2/3 of that milage was run on halfords own semi synthetic oil at less than a third of the price VW are quoting you, and when my ducato is out of warranty it too will be fed on halfords finest.

Ian.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.