Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :( :( :x :x

Jumbo has started growing black streaks and i am starting to have difficulty removing them.
I want the tried and tested method, not something that you tink might work, i am looking for the "real macoy" and if they are removable how do i keep them away for as long as poss
In the beginning i polished him all over with a brand name polish but it appears it is not the solution
Paul

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
This is where we miss the old site, thiis is a subject that has been debated many times with loads of good ideas coming up.
I personally use Silky Caravan Cleaner but there are others like Fibreglass Boat Hull Cleaner or I think it was Toothpaste that worked well - wont take long before some of the other ideas come flooding in

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Black streaks are caused by aluminum -- the aluminum in window trims, ladders and roof racking, roll out awnings or along the edges of the roof. Use commercial removers as I suggested. To wash the sides of the M/H, use car soap not dish soap. Pressure washing is not recommended, as you can force water through seams into the coach.

Welcome to the world of 'Black streak' :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers dave n dodger

i have well and truly entered the black streak tribe, they must be the ugliest things on the planet (well !!!!!! not THE ugliest, i think i saw worse in beverly)

Still i am now on a crusade to get rid of them

Paul

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
A quick spray of furniture polish such as 'Sparkle' followed by rubbing with a soft cloth will usually do the trick for us.

Been using that method for years on caravans and now motorhomes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I fear there is no substitute for hard labour.

We encountered the black stuff earler this year after winter went.

Personally i bought a very large bottle of mild T cut which really does remove them very quickly.

Because of the size of the vehicle (23' x 7'6" x 10') i also invested £19.00 in an electric buffer from Screwfix (on line Tools).

Applied with the buffer on a wet course buffing cloth this took around 30 minutes all over - including up and down ladder time.

This is then washed off with an ordinary car wash /wax solution.

I then applied -again on a wet cloth/buffer pad - a semi liquid polish from minute wax.

Applied one side at a time and let dry this whole process - including buffering off with a dry cloth - took approx 1 day - my working days being around 4/5 hours.

This was finished at the end of March and there is only one area under the passenger window rubber that has returned.

This however easily wipes off with an ordinary wash and wax..

I have used the Fenwicks products as indicated above , previously and they are very good value for money also.

Personally, i found that using a buffer was the key to success especially as the arm muscles arn'et as young as they used to be.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Buffers are excellent, i use them all the time.

Makes life so much easier!

MandyandDave wrote,

'Black streaks are caused by aluminium'

Can't say i agree, I get the streaks but no ally in site!!

I've found that polishing the bodywork reduces the build up of the streaks.

Found this out after being called away after only polishing only half the van.
A couple of weeks later, the polished side had hardly any streaks whereas the unpolished side had alot more!

Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have no ali as far as I know on the van, do get some black streaks but have found a strong soloution of Fenwicks motorhome cleaner then Bobby Dazzler after does make them easy to move.
My biggest problem is faded decals especially a large grey one the always looks a bit dull and grainy even tho the rest of the van is sparkling

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
MandyandDave said:
Black streaks are caused by aluminum -- the aluminum in window trims, ladders and roof racking, roll out awnings or along the edges of the roof.(
Hi Mandy and Dave

This must explain why the differing remedies do not always work....we dont have any aluminium on our motorhome and we still get black streaks :cry:

The first time I tried cleaning the van I remembered that line from Roy Scheider in that great film "Jaws" ..."your'e gonna need a bigger boat"....in my case it was "your'e gonna need a bigger brush".

Mike

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D That's the truth spykal. There is no Aluminium on my roof either and I get black streaks too. I have a Rubber roof. It needs to be cleaned at least once a year or it chalks up and holds dirt which then runs down the sides as black streaks. :x

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re black streaks are caused by the aluminium.

I have come to the conclusion that the black steaks seem to bond to the the panel surfaces if mixed with the 'oils' from sealants. Where I have put polish over the sealed joints I still get black streaks but they wipe off. Where I have not polished the joints, I still get steaks but are a pig to get off.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.