Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Burstner is now due first checks.
Do you think I am interpreting warranty on conversion correctly?
We have to have the Water Ingress check done each year as part of 5 year warranty - thats a given.
However - the habitaion check - numerous items such as gas etc etc - this seems to me to be optional?
I have discussed this briefly with dealership in which they seemes to imply that if anything went wrong under warranty (which i think is 2 years) then it wouldn't be covered - But - I can't see anything in Burstner warranty stating this -
If something is faulty - say frdge for example - this isn't a servicable part -so how might not having habitaion check done effect this?
Hinges - seals etc etc - if there is a problem we will have found it and take it in to get fixed. Seems paying £250 for habitation check is paying for an extended warranty?
Peoples views and comments would be very much appreciated
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
713 Posts
if you have not got the book stamped it gives them an excuse
simple as that.and they will use any excuse.your choice

i think the whole hab check apart from water ingress is a con!!

wardrobes need regular servicing!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and comments - but as in terms of getting the book stamped- we take the van to the dealer get water ingress check done - they stamp the warranty book - easy? or do people have other experiences of dealers not honouring warranty claims in second year?
(Warranty book is not in English but it seems based on water tightness only - with no sections for heater etc etc
I have read through all the info again(English warranty documents) - and alll I can see is the statement from Burstner stating 2 year legal warranty - and '5 year warranty tightness' (subject to following conditions) -
Nowhere can I find mention of habitation checks?
Dealers can't have excuses - either it is in 2 year warranty or it isn't?
Simple (I think?) or am I missing something?
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Putting aside the maintaining the warranty issue the question is "what is the point of the habitation service"? If it is neccessary then it should be done but perhaps not by dealers who seem to think they are doing you a favour by booking you in.

Service seems to be an incorrect word for what is a cursorary check.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Mine has had a damp check every year (for warranty purposes) and a gas check every two years. The germans put a wee round sticker on the rear bumper showing the expiry year of the gas test.

No numpties have been near the fridge or truma, but then our domestic boiler in the house has been running fine for 25 years without any interference!

Agree about the scam nature of the 'habitation service' offered by some dealers.

David

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bernies said:
just had our first Hab check done on returning home I could find no trace of a stamp of any sort. There is no place in any of the books for this stamp.

regards

Bernie
Its all done on the computer now so you should not need a stamp but would keep the reciept. The service is a rip of but thats how they get more money of you had 2 services now and after both there has been something wrong with the mh that was not there before I hate taking it in to be checked. The first time it was done I asked about the gas they said it was fine strange as I had changed to the empty gas bottle and marked all the pipework to see if they do check it nothing had been touched they had not even opened the gas locker door
Just another rip off

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for comments - pretty much as we had thought really -
but just thought it wise to see if there was something I was missing

Thanks Chigman - I have found the page - don't know how we both missed it Check no 5 - Upholstry, curtains & blinds - I think I can check them for £250

We will get the water ingress done for sure -by main dealer and keep reciept as proof - If we have to claim on warranty for anything we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have to have the Water Ingress check done each year as part of 5 year warranty - thats a given.
However - the habitaion check - numerous items such as gas etc etc - this seems to me to be optional?
I have discussed this briefly with dealership in which they seemes to imply that if anything went wrong under warranty (which i think is 2 years) then it wouldn't be covered - But - I can't see anything in Burstner warranty stating this -
If something is faulty - say frdge for example - this isn't a servicable part -so how might not having habitaion check done effect this?
Hinges - seals etc etc - if there is a problem we will have found it and take it in to get fixed. Seems paying £250 for habitation check is paying for an extended warranty?
Thanks
Steve
All appliances are covered by the manufacturer for at least two years habitation checks make no difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks
Steve
All appliances are covered by the manufacturer for at least two years habitation checks make no difference

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I'm sure they will be happy to hear that.
By the way welcome to the Forum.......oh I see you joined in 2010........... but an interesting first post :alien:

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Hi Mobile Man and welcome

Top lurking waiting for 12 years to make your first post. (y) :D

• Haha
Reactions: Webby1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts