Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
andrewball1000 said:
This is is not a blog but may be a useful place to note points and differences to UK Motorhomes and travel.

I collected the 20ft Cruise America MH from Everett north of Seattle and have been driving east since through the mountains. I have also had three weeks previous in a hire car in Washington state, British Columbia and Alberta.

Point 1 - pickups with demountable Campers or 5th Wheel "seen on the road" out number Motorhomes 80-20. This is very different to what I have seen in previous visits many years ago. The ratio may be dilfferent to those parked up.

Point 2 - my MH is an automatic petrol and I am struggling to get 11.4 us 13.7 mpg UK out of it being very gentle on the pedal. It has done over 100k miles. Please can I have a Renault diesel stick shift with ) gears :)

Point 3 - the steering play needs all my concentration to keep it in a straight line on rough roads or in a cross wind.

Point 4 - despite having good propane tank, the Furnace heating (good description) relies on a 12v driven Bessemar Coverter fan that will flatten the battery in one hour!! I will never complain about Truma heating again.
Hi Andrew.
The cheap and bottom end 'C' class RVs bought by the thousands by rental companies are just that and can't be compared to regular motorhomes.
Most 'C' class vans are grossly over bodied and do wallow about. As to mpg again it's a different driving experience to our diesels. Long trips on cruise control might get you a couple more mpg but 5 and 6 litre petrol coupled with grossly inefficient auto boxes designed for cars are never going to be economical.

Surprisingly the larger 14 ton 8.9 litre rear diesel pushers can get 9 or 10 US mpg. But they are totally different animals.

As to heating most venture to the sun-belt states and heat is rarely a problem. But with fuel prices being relatively low, Americans just plug in and turn up the furnace or two. 15 years ago you hardly ever found an American RV with double glazing.

Just stump up and enjoy your cheap RV.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
andrewball1000 said:
jedi said:
Good to hear your trip is going well, Andrew - Hope you're not using EHU :wink:

Jed
No not once yet. Just on battery. There full hook ups are sh h a palaver. Elec, water and sewer. Can't be bothered. Just driving now. Might put route up later just to increase the envy :).
If your not bothered about full hook ups Andrew, use state parks or forestry commission parks. Cheap and simple.

I bought a book on free campsites in the states.
Don Wrights Guide to FREE Campgrounds.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
This was -15c Andrew near Grand Canyon. But with heated marble floors, engine block heater, 50 amp supply and a fan heater plugged into the next site, we kept warm. :lol: :lol:

Ray.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
Andrew, you must take time out to see Rushmore and Crazy Horse mountains.
Take a helicopter flight over the Badlands. It's the only way to really appreciate them.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
Oooppsss, bluddy politicians............. Grrrrrrr.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
25,449 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.