Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've came back last night from Lytham St. Annes with a bee in my bonnet.

I spent two nights parked on the carpark at Fairhaven lake in Lytham St. Annes. Verry nice place to wake up to in the morning and no problems. I read the restriction board no ban on motorhomes, no charge after 6pm. and modern toilet block at the entrance.
Yet late Morning on Staturday I went to a carpark close to the town center to do some shopping and have a Gawp arround the place. When I got bacck I'd recieved a penalty charge notice (£35.00 if paid within 14 days), because the restriction board although exactly the same at a glance says no motor homes. This I have noted is in all the other municiple carparks allong the front, and its not just for overnight stopping but NO MOTORHOMES. But if your early enough you'll get to park on the street for two hours for free.

What realy got my goat was that the female parking officer watched me arrive park up and she was two feet from me when I put my money into the machine. Would you not have thought if there were any issues they would be pointed out at the time and not wait untill I got around the corner o she ould issue a ticket.

Anyways Ive nothing better to do at the moment so I've chalenged the PCN rather than pay......Not got a cat ion hells chance have I. :0)

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I suggest that you pay quickly to get the discount.then serve notice on them for your money back, as the attendant failed to notify you of the rules whilst you were still mobile which must be within her remit and rules of the council parking regs.get a copy.worth a punt surely

cabby

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
cabby said:
I suggest that you pay quickly to get the discount.then serve notice on them for your money back, as the attendant failed to notify you of the rules whilst you were still mobile which must be within her remit and rules of the council parking regs.get a copy.worth a punt surely

cabby
Unfortunately if you pay that is seen as an admission of your guilt.

Derek

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
i just can`t beleive it :evil:
Don`t these towns want us to visit and spend money in their shops.

No height restriction barrier either.
i dont know what the word is but it must end in ism.
Just like racism, ageism etc

Lets have a whip round and go to the european court of human rights.

Just crossed Lytham off my places to visit before i die list

Dave P

·
Registered
417 Posts
parking tickets are illegal...

Dont pay.

You have the right to defend yourself in court before you can be fined.

Parking tickets do not allow this and are therefore illegal.

Do not pay it, send it back telling them why you think it is illegal. There is a section in the appeals that allows for this.

Read more on my blog under "Parking tickets"

Grant

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Since car parking came under Local Authority control this situation has occoured across the Country. The attendants are on a bonus for tickets issued. I have even seen them hide in alleyways until some one parks,when I have tackled them I have been told to mind my own business as they have a job to do. When I complained to the powers who employ them I was told the same but more council speak. What REALLY anoys me is the issuing of a PCN for a blue badge displaye dthe wrong way round.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've allready started the process of challenging the PCN.
I don't intend to pay the fixed penalty untill this has reached it's concluition,the 14 day period for the for the lower fine starts from the final judgement so nothing is lost by throwing pebbles into the pond and seeing the ripples develope.

I can't see the reasoning for all this, never mind the hype we have heard about how well home spun holliday resorts will do this year. the car parks are by no means full and that means people are not there so you'd think the council would encourage people to stop a while.
Last weekend I was on the wirral Free Parking everywere now thats positive attitude......

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Where in Wirral where you parking? In the in town shopping areas it is charged even on Sundays. I live in Wirral and since the new regs have come in shop out of town and they wonder why the shopping centres are dying on their feet.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Suggest to Lytham St Anne's parking supremos that they have a chat with the wonderful Mr Colin Perris. He it is who is responsible for the smashing aire at Canterbury P&R and, via a National benchmarking council of which he is a member, for giving advice to other councils building or improving car parking sites around the country.

Canterbury is a thriving town and does not- perhaps- need the business that MHers undoubtedly bring but you are still made welcome at a site of which they are clearly proud. I wonder if Lytham St Anne's can say the same ?

[email protected]

G

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigfoot said:
Where in Wirral where you parking? In the in town shopping areas it is charged even on Sundays. I live in Wirral and since the new regs have come in shop out of town and they wonder why the shopping centres are dying on their feet.
perhaps in the shopping areas I don't know but around the water front kings parade ,the car park at the fort,Egremont and Seacombe were all free.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have family in Lytham & visit regularly. This is either:
A: A very new change of the rules
or
B; Very seldom enforced.

Albeit we normally park off road - we've spent hours at Fairhaven & never had an issue. Had you parked in the disabled?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was there!! Fairhaven lake

Hi Wozzy, I also was at fairhaven lake last week and parked not on the carpark ,but on the road just along from the lake carpark, also a great view and no parking restrictions with 2 wheels on pavement we were nice and level,and no parking attendants (wednesday and thursday 3 and 4th june all afternoon) Did you speak to a fellow motorhomer parked next to us? he was in one of those little "romahome" things,(NO OFFENCE TO this type of vehicle!!) My advice would be pay the fine then appeal writing a really nice note explaining you were not aware of any restrictions etc, etc. And then they will probably drop the offence! Its worked for me in the past. Hope you get it sorted. P.S Don`t be put off from going again to fairhaven lake it`s really relaxing, Dave..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi, these parking enforcements came into force last year. Whenever we visit we park on the road (within the white lines) you can park there for up to 2 hours. We were there yesterday and parked with no problems, even though it was busy. Also when these restrictions which ban motorhomes appeared, they also reduced the width of the on-road parking too! Making it very difficult for the bigger motorhomes to park up.

A few people have written to the motorhome mags re parking in lytham.

Regards,
Pepandspice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi squibnocet....I was there Friday and Saturday night parked right at the end of the carpark between the lake and the sea wall along with other likeminded MH..Brilliant !!

Don't get me wrong Fairhaven Lake is ok. there are no restrictions on motorhomes at present.
It's when you go to the municiple carpark at the pier, or as I did to one of the parking lots by the windmill close to the shopping streets where the restrictions are....The information boards are similar apart from those two critical words...NO MOTORHOMES... and if you've been to Fairhaven first you may assume that they are no restrictions and do as I did and just park up and pay....

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Ticket

The author must have read the notice board at the ticket machine to discover what amount to pay so it's difficult to argue the "no motorhomes" part was not seen. Its a pity the attendant did not say anything and that is probably the best grounds for appeal. Don't hold your breath though.

·
Premium Member
35,807 Posts
Seems to me that in some of the UK and Ireland we are seen a nuisance. Often we are refused the opportunity to park or are forced to move on by restrictions on height, parking etc. so that we become someone else´s problem . Of course there are notable exceptions, Canterbury for one.

Compare and contrast the UK attitude to attitudes in France and Germany and even to some extent in Spain and Portugal.

We are visitors to these towns, we use the shops and restaurants, we buy fuel there and spend money as other tourists do. The difference is we do not stay in locally provided accommodation. Our sort of tourism is not welcome in many places which I find inexplicable, Alan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Parking in the Mainland U K

I am from N Ireland and last year we thought we would holiday in the U K
mainland the first in 12 years and it would be nice to see our daughter in Cambridge instead of flying over all the time.
We set of on a 2 month holiday in our motorhome first stop was my daughters after a week there of we went touring all over England . Now
it was the worst holiday i have ever had to try and park a motorhome in England is a night mare every council has it own rules . We came home
i took another 3 weeks leave and we went over to France i would not think of taking a motorhome over to mainland U K again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.