Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could see the second baby being fed as much as the first. Parent bird has tried feeding it with fish and I don´t think it like fish.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
I find that quite distressing to watch Jan, when the chicks are being fed (or not, in the case of the 2nd chick). It's definitely the law of the jungle as the 1st chick attacks its sibling to prevent it getting food. But I think I expected the parent to be more aware and make more of an effort to feed the 2nd. Whereas it seems to be happy to concentrate on the 1st chick who's had more practice and is therefore easier to feed. There's plenty of food for both but the parent isn't making the effort to feed both.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
I think the 1 on the right is the 1 that was taking a beating yesterday n being very submissive (and getting very little food) so it's good to see it has some fight in it. The 1 on the left tho seems to be damaged on the breast? Poor wee things, what a start to life!

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 1 on the right is the 1 that was taking a beating yesterday n being very submissive (and getting very little food) so it's good to see it has some fight in it. The 1 on the left tho seems to be damaged on the breast? Poor wee things, what a start to life!
The ones just above are not ours if that's what you are looking at Jean, ours are still asleep at the moment
watch

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have joined in the chat and have learnt the bashing of the youngest is called bonking 😁 and it is normal and even though the younger isn´t getting as much food at the moment he will soon catch up later. He had a couple of good meals this morning, not as much as the bully, but enough for him/her.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
I find it quite stressful watching when she's feeding. The poor bullied one got very little last time I saw them feed (still on fish) and Mum seems to not see him. Tho she sees any speck the other drops in the nest and can pick it up so I reckon it's wilful ignoring. Maybe they've learned in the past to put all their eggs in 1 basket so to speak to maximise the possibility of success.

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have seen her feed both one for you one for him or her, they say we mustn´t worry about it, in a few days they'll be pals, I´m not sure if they actually see plainly I reckon they have blurred vision

On the iPad and computer I can wind back and yesterday afternoon at 16.53 Florida time is a good time to watch because both parents are on the nest, she is feeding the babies and he feeds her, really lovely to watch.

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don´t know which one is the wee one anymore Jean, just been watching and they both seem to be getting a good share, they're both getting stronger, I love watching them keep balance. the little wings look like arms.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
I saw a bit just before 8am Florida time and they were both being fed thank goodness. The bully still got the lion's share but the other at least got a few bites. I'm a happier bunny now!

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It looks as if all that food is going into the feet first, 🦶
The younger one can be identified by the twig on the back of it´s head and he's been having a fight with the surrounding hey this afternoon..

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In Florida they are having a dose of our weather, wind and rain, the babies are being protected by Mum and at one time Dad joined her I read on the comments, but so far I haveńt found that spot on the tape.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
One parent was sitting on the chicks protecting them then the other bedraggled parent came and stood close by (tho not on the protective side). They were like that for ages before the 1st one (I can't tell the difference between Mum n Dad) flew away. But the 2nd was ages before he moved to protect the chicks.

I do find them fascinating to watch n have missed my fix for today!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts