Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently spent a couple of weeks in the Italian lakes. I took the Russell Route via Luxembourg, Metz, Epinal, Basel, then intended taking the Gottard Tunnel to Lugano.

However, when I got to the Gottard tunnel, it turns out they had opened the pass just a few days earlier so I went up over the top instead (2,100m, but an easy enough drive with only a handful of tight curves).

At the top it was simply glorious. The air temperature was up in the late 20's but there was still quite a bit of snow around, and the Gottard Lakes were still frozen.

It was one of the most magical places I have stayed (and free, obviously).

Spent a couple of weeks touring the Italian lakes, then took more or less the same route back, aiming for the Gottard pass for an overnight.

What a difference!! Cold, miserable, wet, most of the snow gone.

Still a magical place, but somehow not quite as nice!

Morph

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Yes It's a great drive over the Saint Gotthard pass in fine weather. We drove back over it in 2009. It's a slow climb but easy road up to the top isn't it :)

Here's some pictures we took -brings back memories !

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes It's a great drive over the Saint Gotthard pass in fine weather. We drove back over it in 2009. It's a slow climb but easy road up to the top isn't it :)

Here's some pictures we took -brings back memories !

Steve
Ha! I have an identical shot from outside that cafe / rest area down towards Bellinzona, and isn't the cobbled surface of that stretch of the old road amazing, with its perfect line of red granite cobbles down the centre!

Morph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.