Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1018 Posts

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
When we bought this car the first diesel we have had, the Subaru dealer told us not to `warm it up before driving, just get in and drive´ he did explain why, but that was 12 years, don´t expect me to remember that far back, we assumed the same with the van. It started first turn of the key today and I drove.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Was that the one you blew the engine up Jan? Not inferring anything of course but Personally I would always allow a few seconds before moving off very gently for the first minute or more.

Ray.
Nobody knows how or why that happened Ray, but it was nothing to do with cold engines. When I say I started it and drove, I meant I didn´t let it run to warm up, theres always a minute or more in between, checking everything is where it should be like mirrors and Motleys in his place all that kind of thing takes a minute or more, but why do you say it especially, I have to have reasons for these things. 0:)

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Weather too cold to work outside so pictures and mirrors down, stair carpet up as preparing to strip wallpaper off the hall, stairs and landing.
Paint ordered for ceilings and woodwork, son told to get my plank back asap. (usual quick to borrow but forget to return, drives me crazy).

Terry
You've got a lot of energy, what are you on, I´ll want a bit of that.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Well that was a complete surprise, a couple just arrived at the house, I thought it was the bloke to pick up the motors, but no, they thought my house was for sale and were interest in buying it, that makes 5 people who were interested so if I changed my mind completely I wouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of it it seems.
So today I could have been selling my house, but I won´t :grin2:

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
We are having a day off from being busy builders. Booked a takeaway Sunday Roast from the local pub for lunch time. Walk the dog first and pick up a Sunday paper to make us sit down and read. Just got to cover up the grass seed a spread yesterday as have seen the pigeons feasting on it :(
The way Hans protected grass seed was to collect the grass cuttings in the push mower to spread over the top.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Trouble is I'd have to cut the grass to do that Jan :) It is so windy it is making me depressed. We get so much wind nowadays. I suppose its the there global warming but without the warming.
Is the ground warm enough to set grass seed over there, I have some I could scatter about, but I think its still too cold.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Early morning appointment 8.15 this morning with the dermatologist about my itchy skin, which of course after waiting 3 months doesn't itch anymore, but is still red, the moles are an old age thing and nothing to worry about (not nice when they tell you it´s old age you know :frown2:)
I have to gradually cut down on the cortisone over the next 2 weeks and the chemist will be delivering tomorrow a concoction she has prescribed and they make up.
I must also find a reliable plumber, the central heating system lost all pressure on Saturday and showed a system fault, I topped it up, yesterday it had already dropped to 1.1/4 so topped it up again and I just checked and its down to 1.1/4 again.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Chris says that if you have a radiator that is cold at the very top (meaning it has air there and not water) then choose that one for the following. There should be two plugs at either end of the top of the radiator. One is the bleeding valve, to let air out of the system, the other is the blanking plug. Take off the blanking plug and pour the stuff in there using a funnel or flexible tube. This should work if it is a small leak that you have.
Does Chris know I have under floor heating Pat? There are 2 radiators in the Garage/workshop I have turned them both of today as the weather is warming up, I don´t need them on at the moment, but they are the only radiators all the rest is under the floor.

I have just found out from Kurt (the farmer) the chap he uses so will give them a ring. Thank Chris for me, but by the time I find out what to get, order or go and get it maybe the expert will have fixed it.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
If there is an expansion vessel in your system, it may need pressurising, a ten minute job.
Plumber has been, drained off air and some water from the boiler and refilled to just under 2 took him half an hour, hopefully it will fix it, he checked the levels under the stairs and upstairs and all good. He says I must keep an eye on it and if it drops quickly again to get in touch immediately. A neighbour across the road works for this firm and I mentioned that when I rang, blow me if the van wasn't across at this chaps sisters place 10 or 15 mins later.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
We have underfloor heating Jan and I have to get some pressure into the system every so often.
This was a rapid drop Graham, I check it at least twice a week, more if I go up there for something, I will always have a look. The last time before this happened was probably Wed or Thur. when all was fine, Saturday the water was only warm and when I checked it had Error F75 or some such number and the gage was rock bottom.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Graham and Jan (and anyone else) how do you like your underfloor heating? Chris is installing it in the new bungalow for the first time. One or two people have done a sharp intake of breath when we have mentioned what we are planning. One of them moved into a new four bedroom house and found it stifling hot on the first day so turned it down. He now says it is not very efficient and costing him a fortune to run. The neighbours over the road have built a huge house and find that their house is not very warm. It does have a double height atrium as you go in and in both houses there are no South facing windows (!).
It´s wonderful Pat, no cold spots, I only have it on in the living area, not the kitchen or bedroom the bathroom only when its very cold out. There are thermostats in every room, the water temperature depends on how hot you want the house to be, my house is warm 24 hours a day between 23° and 24°C everywhere. I am paying 106 € a month for gas thats hot water and heating. I am waiting for the annual bill and I may even have a refund coming. I do not and will not save on any of my home comforts and thats how it has always been. It is a very well insulated house.
Electricity is less because now no machinery or lighting in the garage, but we have never skimped on that either.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
The boiler pressure has lost 1 bar already, I won’t be doing anything other than call the plumber :frown2:

Maybe get myself into the mood of organising and taking some decent photos of the tools and Polish up the lathe, it’s time to get serious about putting it on eBay. Why am I dragging my feet you may ask, because I don’t really know what I am doing. :frown2:

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
As the weather is supposed to be set fait today and as restrictions have been lifted on meeting outdoors, myself and Mrs GMJ are going to meet with one of my big brothers and his partner. We haven't seen them since God was a child and are meeting them at Aberglasny Gardens so we can stay outdoors. They have a cafe and toilets that are open too. We'll take some sarnies just in case.

Really looking forward to it.
I don´t think it will be a quick fix today Graham, he tried that yesterday and I couldn´t do what he did then. Hopefully if is a boiler fault and not a leak under the floor.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
I think when it was copper piping the joints were the problem at times, but this is all plastic like yours, I don´t know what size they used 15 years ago.

Oh I have another job today, nearly forgot, fixing up my animal spotter outside, its a lovely day for outside jobs, might even get the weed killer out.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Jan, if you had a an underfloor leak, I am sure you would have seen it by now i.e. your floor would be damp in and around the leak. If there is no indication of a leak in the pipework the problem must be within the boiler itself. If there is no indication of a leak in the boiler then It would be assumed that the "Leak" would be a loss of water from inside the Expansion Vessel.

A boiler expert, not a plumber, would first test the pressure in the Expansion Vessel using a pressure gauge and top up if required.

Funny enough Drew I have looked in the book to find out what the error messages mean one is F75 the other Appl error. F75 is to do with pressure and the other obviously appliance fault. They are a Heizungsingenieur as well as plumber & (Sanitär und Bäder) swimming pool firm.

1 - 20 of 1018 Posts