Motorhome Facts Forum banner
41 - 60 of 7422 Posts

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
I guess I'm old school when oil was thicker and needed a minute to get round all the oilways and get between all moving surfaces.
I do realise modern engines with high tolerances and thinner oils it's quicker. But I still feel a cold engine wears more than a warm one.
So as is my want I feel happier right or wrong, that after starting a cold engine I will as you say check things before moving off just to allow enough oil to circulate.

Ray.
In haste because of the Rugby.

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One thing I have had to do is cut down one of my meds, it been making me quite ill since it was upped a couple of weeks ago, Pregabalin is a nerve drug and it had been increased by 25 percent so I'm cutting it out tonight, hopefully it will help me.

Reactions: patp

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Morning

I have a free day today...so probably a bit of gardening, reading, preparing itineraries for trips away and then rugby on telly this afternoon, hopefully.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Lovely morning here if a bit chilly. Off on dog walk after breakfast then laying damp proof membrane on the bungalow. Racing on tv this afternoon, which I usually love to watch because of the horses, but will have to see if I have time!

· Premium Member
2,480 Posts
This morning we went to shop at the veg and fruit stall in the centre of our village, as we now do every Saturday morning. It was its first anniversary today and they gave us a punnet of strawberries to celebrate this. The stall started because of the first lockdown, I think previously they supplied restaurants. It's now very popular and everybody hopes it will continue. Pre lockdown we would buy most of our veg at the Thursday market in Hebden Bridge (a mile or so down the road) but the market is so well populated it is hard to socially distance. In Mytholmroyd there isn't a market, just the one stall in front of the church and everyone behaves very well in the queue. Afterwards we had a coffee standing outside the Blue Teapot, a vegetarian cafe also in the village centre.

This afternoon I've been trying to organise the storage areas in the van before we go away mid April. John has been busy in the greenhouse, doing things like potting on tomatoes.

Chris

· Premium Member
11,538 Posts
Weather too cold to work outside so pictures and mirrors down, stair carpet up as preparing to strip wallpaper off the hall, stairs and landing.
Paint ordered for ceilings and woodwork, son told to get my plank back asap. (usual quick to borrow but forget to return, drives me crazy).

Terry

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Weather too cold to work outside so pictures and mirrors down, stair carpet up as preparing to strip wallpaper off the hall, stairs and landing.
Paint ordered for ceilings and woodwork, son told to get my plank back asap. (usual quick to borrow but forget to return, drives me crazy).

Terry
You've got a lot of energy, what are you on, I´ll want a bit of that.

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
It's a bit of a crappy morning out there at the mo but no matter. Today I'll be doing the weekly food shop which takes most of the morning as its 25 mins drive each way to the nearest supermarkets and as they don't open until 10, I get back home at around 11.00.

Then I shall be watching cricket for the rest of the day.

Tidy!!

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Well that was a complete surprise, a couple just arrived at the house, I thought it was the bloke to pick up the motors, but no, they thought my house was for sale and were interest in buying it, that makes 5 people who were interested so if I changed my mind completely I wouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of it it seems.
So today I could have been selling my house, but I won´t :grin2:

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
We are having a day off from being busy builders. Booked a takeaway Sunday Roast from the local pub for lunch time. Walk the dog first and pick up a Sunday paper to make us sit down and read. Just got to cover up the grass seed a spread yesterday as have seen the pigeons feasting on it :(

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
We are having a day off from being busy builders. Booked a takeaway Sunday Roast from the local pub for lunch time. Walk the dog first and pick up a Sunday paper to make us sit down and read. Just got to cover up the grass seed a spread yesterday as have seen the pigeons feasting on it :(
The way Hans protected grass seed was to collect the grass cuttings in the push mower to spread over the top.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Trouble is I'd have to cut the grass to do that Jan :) It is so windy it is making me depressed. We get so much wind nowadays. I suppose its the there global warming but without the warming.
Is the ground warm enough to set grass seed over there, I have some I could scatter about, but I think its still too cold.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,671 Posts
Grass seed wants a bit of warmth. 5 or so degrees at night and 15 or so during the day will be fine.

It will germinate when the conditions are right, so you can sow it pretty much anytime and it will come when ready. What you don't want is a severe frost after it has germinated but before it has become well established. That can kill it. Thus it's usual to wait till the fear of frost passes. Careful gardeners will tell you that will be towards the end of May.

All grass seed is coated to deter birds from eating it. Nobody told the birds though. But for all they'll eat it won't be missed. Scattering any unrotted vegetable material over the seed (or any plants) to protect it is a bad idea. At the least it will cause a nitrogen deficiency as it rots.

Same goes for bedding plants. Don't buy them this weekend and plant them out. Do buy them and protect them from frost if you want to do that.

Reactions: patp and JanHank

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
I think grass like to grow from 9 degrees upwards.

I dug a bush stump out of my lawn the other day and backfilled with earth and seeded. I always cover the seed with a thin layer of top soil but if the birds are persistent I have see through plastic sheets that I peg out..remembering to list and water regularly.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,671 Posts
At 9 degrees established grass will grow well enough, but grass seed will germinate slowly and be patchy.

You can cover grass seed with plastic or sand or net or whatever but it's a lot of work for little return. Sown at the right time, spring or autumn, it will be up in a week or 10 days anyway. and in the UK rain is never far away at that time of year.

Watered grass (and indeed plants) will become dependent on watering. If there is always water near the surface for it it won't bother to develop deeper roots.

41 - 60 of 7422 Posts