Motorhome Facts Forum banner
101 - 120 of 7422 Posts

· Premium Member
18,448 Posts
As the weather is supposed to be set fait today and as restrictions have been lifted on meeting outdoors, myself and Mrs GMJ are going to meet with one of my big brothers and his partner. We haven't seen them since God was a child and are meeting them at Aberglasny Gardens so we can stay outdoors. They have a cafe and toilets that are open too. We'll take some sarnies just in case.

Really looking forward to it.
I don´t think it will be a quick fix today Graham, he tried that yesterday and I couldn´t do what he did then. Hopefully if is a boiler fault and not a leak under the floor.

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
I don´t think it will be a quick fix today Graham, he tried that yesterday and I couldn´t do what he did then. Hopefully if is a boiler fault and not a leak under the floor.
Fingers crossed for you Jan.

I often think about underfloor leaks and what could be possibly done if there is one: how to detect it and how to fix it! I'm not sure how a leak could be detected unless there was a damp spot. If there was it would be a right sod of a job to fix given that pipes are under an inch or two of screed plus whatever flooring is down.

I prefer to tell myself that as the pipes are buried they can come to no harm so any problem would be above ground and therefore fixable :grin2:

· Premium Member
18,448 Posts
I think when it was copper piping the joints were the problem at times, but this is all plastic like yours, I don´t know what size they used 15 years ago.

Oh I have another job today, nearly forgot, fixing up my animal spotter outside, its a lovely day for outside jobs, might even get the weed killer out.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
We are reliably informed that the new air source heat pumps heat the hot water to a higher temperature. They used not to be able to cope with the return of hotter water as it turned off the boiler. That has been solved and, whereas the hot water used to only get to about 40 deg it now can get to 60 deg. Indeed, a friend's hot water is so poor that he has to have an immersion heater kick in every so often to kill off any bugs in the cylinder.

If you want to really look into it there is this place in Swindon https://www.nsbrc.co.uk/. We went to have a look and then Chris booked a refresher course on underfloor heating that he said was "excellent". He says under floor heating is well within the scope of a competent diy person.

On the leak front he says that he is not putting any joins in the pipes underfloor. It is a flexible pipe and comes in rolls that can easily be run under each room with no joins. Fingers crossed that is what is installed under your and Jan's floor.

You really need solar panels to make the electric air source heat pumps affordable to run. The grants are, we are told, a waste of time. Only certain installers are allowed to be employed and they hike their prices up to negate the effect of the grant.

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
We are reliably informed that the new air source heat pumps heat the hot water to a higher temperature. They used not to be able to cope with the return of hotter water as it turned off the boiler. That has been solved and, whereas the hot water used to only get to about 40 deg it now can get to 60 deg. Indeed, a friend's hot water is so poor that he has to have an immersion heater kick in every so often to kill off any bugs in the cylinder.

If you want to really look into it there is this place in Swindon https://www.nsbrc.co.uk/. We went to have a look and then Chris booked a refresher course on underfloor heating that he said was "excellent". He says under floor heating is well within the scope of a competent diy person.

On the leak front he says that he is not putting any joins in the pipes underfloor. It is a flexible pipe and comes in rolls that can easily be run under each room with no joins. Fingers crossed that is what is installed under your and Jan's floor.

You really need solar panels to make the electric air source heat pumps affordable to run. The grants are, we are told, a waste of time. Only certain installers are allowed to be employed and they hike their prices up to negate the effect of the grant.
Out of interest Pat, what make/model of ASHP are you going for?

Reactions: patp

· Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Jan, if you had a an underfloor leak, I am sure you would have seen it by now i.e. your floor would be damp in and around the leak. If there is no indication of a leak in the pipework the problem must be within the boiler itself. If there is no indication of a leak in the boiler then It would be assumed that the "Leak" would be a loss of water from inside the Expansion Vessel.

A boiler expert, not a plumber, would first test the pressure in the Expansion Vessel using a pressure gauge and top up if required.

· Premium Member
18,448 Posts
Jan, if you had a an underfloor leak, I am sure you would have seen it by now i.e. your floor would be damp in and around the leak. If there is no indication of a leak in the pipework the problem must be within the boiler itself. If there is no indication of a leak in the boiler then It would be assumed that the "Leak" would be a loss of water from inside the Expansion Vessel.

A boiler expert, not a plumber, would first test the pressure in the Expansion Vessel using a pressure gauge and top up if required.

Funny enough Drew I have looked in the book to find out what the error messages mean one is F75 the other Appl error. F75 is to do with pressure and the other obviously appliance fault. They are a Heizungsingenieur as well as plumber & (Sanitär und Bäder) swimming pool firm.

· Premium Member
25,972 Posts
Why does modern life get more and more complex? All these innovations are supposed to make life easier.
Just had an elderly lady ask why she has received a code on her mobile. Apparently it was for yesterday to accept her jab appointment? Just hope she gets it despite not confirming.

Ray.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Before I forget our uf pipes are 16mm. You can get larger but they are special order products.

The boiler/cylinder combination is called Joule but the Joule brand (well known for cylinders) has been put on a Samsung ASHP we believe.

Pipes called a generic "plastic" but come on a coil and very flexible.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,659 Posts
I noticed the Aygo had a flat rear tyre when I returned from my afternoon walk - hadn't noticed any difference in the driving when I had it out this morning.

Blew up all the tyres, noticed the flat has a nail in it. I must've been driving on the flat cos the valve stem was leaking. The tyre went flat in the time it took me to top up the others. My neighbour had offered to help and tho he got the nuts off he couldn't get the wheel off.

So Nationwide breakdown insurance came to the rescue - had it fixed in no time.
What am I getting up to today? Pumping up ANOTHER flat! This time on the front, same side. It COULD be it's picked up a nail, same as the rear, or it could be that the pressure sensor I fitted yesterday was leaking. I've pumped up, fitted the old cap and waiting to see how it does. It was still up after about half an hour so that should get me to the local tyre fitter (cheaper than online) but probably not till tomorrow as I've the dentist this afternoon.
Fault found by the heating profi, took him 15 mins to dismantle find the fault and reassemble, get to his van and drive off.
The new part has to be ordered, blue tack nor plasticine will fix it he said then I asked /images/MotorhomeFacts_2014/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
I can't figure the photo Jan - is that a split?

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
We are off into Llandeilo this morning as Mrs GMJ is getting her hair done. Apparently this is a big thing?!

Not for me. I wash mine every day and sharpen my head no later than every 3 weeks...it seems to take less and less time as each year goes by

Reactions: raynipper

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Not much on but it'll be nice to get out of the house, been stuck in since Saturday, I have to post back the rubbish earphones, get a new back fitted to my phone, (don't ask) And Liz wants a screen protector fitting to her iPad, we may lunch out, need a bit of shopping, and that is the highlights of my day.

I'm still suffering from going cold turkey, and I managed to wrench my right knee on Monday, so I'll not be doing much walking if I can help it, apart from a horrible stomach pain, and a headache I'll survive.

· Premium Member
25,972 Posts
Strewth it another very busy day here trying to keep up with all the medical news and jabs of friends here as well as various maintenance jobs.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy and patp

· Premium Member
11,538 Posts
Upstairs landing and stairwell ceilings painted yesterday so it’s downstairs hallways turn today and if it stays dry finish off the gloss painting on the garden bench outside.

Terry

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I am fortunate that Liz likes decorating and won't allow me to do it.

101 - 120 of 7422 Posts