Motorhome Facts Forum banner
121 - 140 of 7422 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
She wants me to take on more cooking so I'm looking to get some really heavy pans.

Reactions: GMJ and patp

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Dishwasher engineer relieved us of £308, at 8am, to fit a new heater element. It was either that or a new machine plus his call out fee of £130. I do believe we should repair where we can and it is a Miele so should, hopefully, be worth it.
Then it was dog walk followed by a video conference call (yes Jan I did manage to do it :) ) with a barrister who has taken on Chris's asbestosis claim. We are not ones to undertake such things but you only have three years from diagnosis to do it. If you do not do it and it turns into Mesothelioma you are stuffed. He was very positive about Chris's chances and said he would make an excellent witness with all his memories of his escapades as a plumbing and heating engineer handling asbestos on an almost daily basis.
Then some more spring cleaning followed by food shopping and another dog walk later on. Phew!

· Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Glad you will have your boiler sorted soon, Jan - it's always a stressful situation to be in.

I'm making a pizza today. Have been living with my mum during Covid since she is in the really high risk group. She never make pizza herself but love it when I make one.
Have to put pineapple on one half only since she love them and I do not. Well - not on a pizza anyway.

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
We have just been out for a bimble: without coast and in short sleeve order!

Bewtiful it is out there mind, bewtiful.....

I'm off to mow the lawns now.

Reactions: patp

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Dishwasher engineer relieved us of £308, at 8am, to fit a new heater element. It was either that or a new machine plus his call out fee of £130. I do believe we should repair where we can and it is a Miele so should, hopefully, be worth it.
Then it was dog walk followed by a video conference call (yes Jan I did manage to do it :) ) with a barrister who has taken on Chris's asbestosis claim. We are not ones to undertake such things but you only have three years from diagnosis to do it. If you do not do it and it turns into Mesothelioma you are stuffed. He was very positive about Chris's chances and said he would make an excellent witness with all his memories of his escapades as a plumbing and heating engineer handling asbestos on an almost daily basis.
Then some more spring cleaning followed by food shopping and another dog walk later on. Phew!
I sit here listening to my dishwasher working for the first time for well over a year :grin2: My problem was only because the plumber last year hadn't done his work properly.
The hot tap in the kitchen now runs properly.
In one room the heating was always on (the times it was set for) even though I had turned the thermostat to off, 2 valves were kaput, rusty and broken, so he had 2 new ones in the van of different makes, but they still work.
Everything in order now, I am very pleased.

· Premium Member
25,970 Posts
Strewth Pat. That doesn't seem very economic as you now have an old machine with a new bit in it at great expense.

Ray.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Who said it was very old machine Ray? :)

From memory (!) it is about 4-5 years old (probably just out of guarantee which is always sods law). If we had scrapped it he would have charged us £130 for his visit and then we would have had the cost of a new machine on top. The relay caused the problem so he replaced that and the heater and pump which had failed. Not much else to go wrong now (I hope!).

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
We left our Miele at our last house, it never worked properly, we were not going to pay a call out fee to fix it, when we got here we bought a Bush from Argos, it's a slimline model but by heck it does a really good job, I think it was less then £130 too.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
I am not sure I would buy another one, Kev. It is such a shame because we have become a throw away society. I just want a machine that washes dishes and is reliable. At least it does good job of washing the dishes. We bought Seimens washing machine and tumble dryer and they drive me nuts with their "eco" settings. The washer just takes in less water and never really gets to a hot temperature I don't think. The tumble dryer has to be set on Cotton Cupboard Dry to get it to dry even the lightest thing. Some flippin' EU regulation probably to make us use less energy makes me have to run it hotter and longer anyway! Where's the energy saving in that?

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Dish washer isn´t working :frown2: just making a noise forever, the program doesn´t come to an end and I don´t here water swishing around after the first minute or so.

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
None at all Pat.

I didn't go out in the end, I just felt really crappy so I went to bed for a nap, I still feel awful but I'm not quite as tired now.

· Premium Member
12,444 Posts
We are collecting our MH from the dealers today after its Hab Check. It passed btw with no sign of damp....which is always nice :smile2:

On the way home we plan to enjoy a flask of coffee whilst sitting in the MH...the first time it will have been used' in anger', since December last year.

Less than 2 weeks to our first trip out now though

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Carpets mainly. We made the schoolboy error of fitting plain carpets, throughout, when we renovated a couple of years ago. We are not the fussiest of people and have allowed Georgia free range when she is not quite clean and dry :( Add the odd cup of coffee/tea/glass of wine and a clean was needed. They were good quality carpets and so have come up well :)

Talking of carpets, we have to decide on floor coverings for the new bungalow. It is quite a large floor area and I am not too keen on carpeting it right through for the above reasons. I love parquet flooring but am being told that it is eye wateringly expensive. There are lots of easy clean surfaces around now and wondered if anyone had any tips.

· Premium Member
18,447 Posts
Always had patterned carpets in the main living area where theres a lot of traffic, bedroom not, my kitchen and bathroom carpet could do with a clean though, but I get used to the flecks, makes it look used. :grin2: thats my excuse anyway. Do you hire a cleaner or do you have one Pat, other than the human one.

· Premium Member
44,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Liz bought the whole floor out of a bank, it took 3 weeks to prepare it to go back down.

· Premium Member
8,686 Posts
We have a cheap and cheerful one Jan. it does not have a rotating brush so is not very good. It just spreads the shampoo really. I see there are some good ones on the market now.
Like you, we always had patterned carpets, but I had a rush of blood to the head this time. I love the Flotex kitchen carpet that I have used for years in all my kitchens. It was tested in a lorry loading bay and came up clean every time. That one is patterned in a wooden floorboard design that is very realistic and, being brown, does not show the mud too much.

121 - 140 of 7422 Posts