Motorhome Facts Forum banner

What are you getting up to today?

306K views 11K replies 45 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
I've got to try to remember to make a dentists appointment before my pension credits stop.

Reactions: 242633 and patp
#9,300 ·
Home after our visit to Kent. We found the most lovely campsite to leave our new van in storage. Only trouble is that they close all winter for camping. We can go to pick the van up from storage but not stay overnight :( Our new caravan lived up to our expectations so we are very happy. Just one small problem with the whale pump that will need addressing next time. New site does servicing of vans too :)
We had an awakening for the future though. Chris thought there was something wrong with the tow hitch because he could not disengage it. Turned out that he was weaker than me because I managed it fairly easily. Then he couldn't engage the motor mover onto the wheels of the van as that took some oomph that he did not have. He is including a longer lever into his toolkit for next time!

#9,301 ·
It's odd Pat but Prue is now stronger than me at some things but others I retain the strength.
She can work for hours at manual labour but I'm stuffed after only 20 mins. But I can still lift and grip where she might fail there.

Ray.

#9,303 ·
I have to ask to have bottles and jars open if I haven´t got my thing o purpose nearby.

So today I have been to the dentist again for what was supposed to be a checkup and talk about a replacement for this Maryland Bridge that keeps falling out and came away with another appointment for next week to be operated on as I have an abscess under a tooth which is under the other bridge. It only started to cause trouble last Friday, but it has been there for a while. I didn´t recognise my dentist today because it was the first time I had seen her without a mask 😁 she has teeth I discovered.

#9,304 ·
Morning

We are off through the tunnel today and back to Blighty. We'll overnight in Cirencester. It's been a great trip: one of our best and up until we got to this site on Sunday we had not spoken with any other Brits on the whole trip! It was noticeable that all the places we stayed there were hardly any Brits at all. In fact I can only recall seeing a unit at Waterloo and another one at Pilsensee before we got here!

#9,305 ·
Today is the 33 anniversary of `der Tag der deutschen Einheit´ The day of Germanys reunification, a holiday all over Germany.

If you are interested there is a video if you scroll down showing pictures of before and after unification.

#9,306 ·
Repelling marauders.
Bloody pigs came in again last night and missed the trip wire. Went all over the rest of the 'lawn'.

Ray.

• Sad
Reactions: GMJ
#9,308 · (Edited)
I had visitors this morning, Ondrè´s wife (Janet) son and daughter. He is home, left arm useless and slurred speech. Next week he goes to the rehab clinic, hopefully they will be able to help him cope with everyday tasks, I don´t think the use of the arm returns after a stroke. It brings tears to my eyes to think a man who was healthy until last Sunday is now handicapped at 54 years of age.

Edit
I hope I am wrong because I just read the use can return with proper treatment so l hope this is the case here.

#9,309 ·
Must order some sand and cement for the brickie to come back and alter the disability ramp. The building inspector failed the original one as being too steep. It was built in a hurry when Chris was discharged from hospital. The paving slabs arrived yesterday. Might get out into the garden if I get back from walking the dog with some energy. Update - did all of the above :)

#9,310 ·
Pigs.
I have spent all afternoon putting all the dug up sods back down again but a bit bumpy. Set up an explosive charge on a trip wire. Sprayed diesel all along the boundary and over the edge they have now dug up three times. Can't do no more. Plus set up a trail cam to see what time they arrive.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ and erneboy
#9,311 ·
Will I be first this morning now Graham is back over the water.
Shopping today, yesterday I was in the mood to make a cake, only have bread flour, no baking powder. Do you know they don`t have SR flour in Germany. I may not make the cake today because the grass has to be cut.
I must put the video camera on when I go shopping because when I came home on Friday Motley was crying, I don’t know if that was because he heard the car or if he had been doing it for any length of time, this is the third time I have heard him when I get home.

#9,317 ·
I must put the video camera on when I go shopping because when I came home on Friday Motley was crying, I don’t know if that was because he heard the car or if he had been doing it for any length of time, this is the third time I have heard him when I get home.
Now I know, Back from our short walk, it´s buddy cold with a strongish wind. Talking to neighbours the other side of the second road
Ecoregion Map Font Slope Urban design
Ecoregion Map Font Slope Urban design

and and they told me Motley was making so much noise they heard him and wondered if it was some alarm for me so came and saw the car was gone so knew I was OK.
I wish I knew why he has suddenly started to do it, it´s 1 year 3 months since he was left with Heike when I had the accident and made a lot of fuss for several days, he has been left alone in the house many times since then and when I come home he is mostly sleeping. I will take him with me today as it won´t be warm and I won´t be away from the car for long.

#9,313 ·
Charlie the bricklayer is coming today to alter the wheelchair ramp as specified by the building control officer. The slope, we have discovered, should be one in twenty. We are taking the opportunity to slightly remodel that part of the garden to put some slabs down.

Ray, there is anecdotal evidence that lion poo deters creatures like pigs etc. There have been studies done using it to deter cats which seem to have been successful. A quick google brings up some products, called Silent Roar, that you could just open and leave lying around? It is made for gardens so you could spread it about?

#9,314 ·
Ha ha ha Pat.
No pigs this am.!!! After spraying mixture of 60% water and 40% diesel over the area they seem to like. Didn't trigger the cartridge or any signs this am.
Diesel works now for moles and pigs.

Ray.

#9,316 ·
Ha ha Bill. If you saw the destruction in one night it would have to be a super powerful being to do that.

Ray.

#9,319 ·
Morning

Back home now after a clear run yesterday. I managed to empty the MH but ran out of time to clean it. I put my back out early on in our Germany trip and it really caned yesterday so everything is taking much more time to do. We'll tackle the other jobs during today. I have a chiropractor appointment booked but couldn't get in until the end of next week.

#9,322 ·
Great relief no pigs excavations again this am but the cartridge was blown. So something walked into the trip wire.
Looking on the Trail Cam did show a retreating deer into the darkness but just strolling and not running in panic.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ and JanHank
#9,323 ·
Yippee, Frank is here with the flooring and sliding doors, it´s going to be finished soon.
Ondrè is able to hold a conversation, speech is improving he says, it´s his left arm that needs working on at the Rehab where he will go for 3 weeks, it´s only about 40 mins away. Frank says after the rehab he will be working again, you can`t keep a good man down even after a stroke.