Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the news, are you a reader? Avid or occasional?

I have just finished the new John Grisham novel - The Judges List - and it was excellent; well up to his normal standard. I will need to start a new afternoon book today.

At night I am currently reading Ian Fleming's Dr No on my kindle. Always a good read the Bond books (Im trying to do them in order) and around 200 pages too. How they manage to make 3 hour films out of them I don't know!

What about you folks?

Reactions: patp and 242633

·
Read Only
424 Posts
Aside from the news, are you a reader? Avid or occasional?

I have just finished the new John Grisham novel - The Judges List - and it was excellent; well up to his normal standard. I will need to start a new afternoon book today.

At night I am currently reading Ian Fleming's Dr No on my kindle. Always a good read the Bond books (Im trying to do them in order) and around 200 pages too. How they manage to make 3 hour films out of them I don't know!

What about you folks?
I read ebooks almost all of the time now [Kobo and Google Playbooks, or whatever they've changed the name to this week]. My fiction library is now empty [mainly Scandi Noir, but also Denise Mina, Ian Rankin and Stephen Booth, plus Stella Rimington, though the latter are a wee bit twee]

I have just started Michel Barnier's 'My Secret Brexit Diary' and I have Professor Stephanie Kelton's 'The Deficit Myth' on how to use Quantitative Easing to finance Government expenditure for my next book

Steve

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
I'm reading Hilary Mantel's 3rd in the Cromwell saga, The Mirror and the Light. I can only describe her use of language as 'delicious'.

However, I'm finding this one harder as everyone seems to have at least 3 'titles' - Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury, mother of Reginald Pole.... so I'm finding it hard to keep track.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shall probably start a non fiction this afternoon as I just finished the Grisham.

·
Premium Member
35,859 Posts
Ebooks. Avidly. Currently Dairmaid Ferriter's The Border.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My new afternoon book is a non fiction: The Fight for Welsh Freedom, by Gwynfor Evans. Just the thing in the week before the England v Wales rugby match.

My night-time Kindle book - which I also started yesterday as I finished Dr No - is Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I haven't read it before so we'll so how it goes.

Reactions: erneboy and patp

·
Premium Member
16,394 Posts
I tried 3 different books on the kindle yesterday and not one grabbed my attention. I also discovered 2 books I had started to read some time back, but obviously they didn’t suit either. Maybe I will do a bit of map studying instead.

Reactions: patp

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
I am reading a Lee Child book. It is a bit weird in that the usual format is for Jack Reacher to go zooming all over the country chasing the baddies but he stays put to fight them in this book. To be honest I am wondering if it is not a ghost writer. I know he co writes with his son. Like you Jean, I struggle to keep up with all the characters sometimes but there are not that many in this book and still I am struggling. They must not be very well drawn? I suppose, though, that keep falling asleep is not helping my cause :)

·
Premium Member
35,859 Posts
Flashman, Bernie Gunther, Otto Prohaska, Bartholomew Bandy all protagonists in series of very entertaining novels where they make guest appearances and provide entertaining side stories as history unfolds. My favourite kind of novel.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,672 Posts
I am reading a Lee Child book. It is a bit weird in that the usual format is for Jack Reacher to go zooming all over the country chasing the baddies but he stays put to fight them in this book. To be honest I am wondering if it is not a ghost writer. I know he co writes with his son. Like you Jean, I struggle to keep up with all the characters sometimes but there are not that many in this book and still I am struggling. They must not be very well drawn? I suppose, though, that keep falling asleep is not helping my cause :)
I like a book wiv pictures too Pat. :grin2:>:)

·
Premium Member
35,859 Posts
Reactions: patp and GMJ

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finished The Fight for Welsh Freedom by Gwynfor Evans yesterday. an interesting history book but way too condensed really to be anything less than a monologue supporting the authors views on independence. An interesting read though which did throw up some interesting stats and points.

To replace it, my new afternoon book is Guy Martin's latest: Dead Men don't tell Tales, which has started off like all his others. very readable and honest.

I'm still ploughing through Moby Dick on the kindle at night. It's starting to grow on me...

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
What did he say about aging then Kev?

Chris's mum always used to say, when we visited her, "don't get old Chris - don't get old". His reply was that he only had one other option :)

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
I'm still plodding on with the Lee Child book. I only manage a couple of pages per night because it is so tedious. It smacks of being padded out, on almost every page, with pointless dialogue. I wonder, sometimes, if these authors are fishing for a film deal when they write books with lots of pointless dialogue. That might be the reason for all the characters too. It is usually only Jack Reacher and a damsel in distress.

·
Premium Member
16,394 Posts
I still have a lot of hard cover readers digest books, I used to enjoy reading those, usually 4 books in one cover. The stories are all shortened to cut out the boring bits like how she was dressed and what colour the blouse was, what plants were in the garden all that rubbish that takes up many pages was removed, I´ll have to bring a few down to read to get me in the reading mood again because I still haven´t succeeded in getting interested in a book yet.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts