Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Flashman, Bernie Gunther, Otto Prohaska, Bartholomew Bandy all protagonists in series of very entertaining novels where they make guest appearances and provide entertaining side stories as history unfolds. My favourite kind of novel.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
The Panama Papers by Frederik Obermaier and Bastian Obermayer. Who can afford to opt not to pay tax and how they do it. It amounts to an extensive list of world leaders and celebs. I was going to say and crooks, but they're all crooks.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
We Are Bellingcat. Interesting and informative.

Among other things there's a lot of info about how their investigations of stories run on RT were simply Russian propaganda representing film of events in one place as having taken place in another and having been carried out by people sponsored by the west or NATO. I found it interesting just how that feeds into what Russia is saying now. Their portrayal is of a long and ongoing proxy war with NATO, so they'd say that Ukraine and whatever comes next is just another part of that war.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Avenging The Captain by James Hume.

The most recent of a series of four spy/crime novels set mainly in Glasgow just after WW2. Simple entertaining books, well enough written, comfortable bedtime reading.

And This is Not Normal, The Collapse of Liberal Britain by Willian Davies. Insightful.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Just finished Ken Clarke's memoir, Kind of Blue.

Always liked him and most of his political views, still do.

There's lots of insight in the book especially about the eurosceptics and their 35 year old war on Europe and a very informative summing up of the errors Cameron made by pandering to them and regurgitating many of their views hoping he could mollify them. It had the reverse effect of course. He ended up envigorating them and their supporters, as though he was one of them, even though he said all along didn't share their aims.

And then they started saying all kinds of stupid stuff gifting them Project Fear.

But the primary error was trusting such an important and complicated decision to a referendum in the first place. The second was allowing a simple majority to be the decider. Overall it was a stupid and unnecessary gamble which Cameron announced without having bothered to consult any colleagues.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
The second in trilogy of modern day spy novels by Tom Bradby. Good reads and very topical.

And a cold war history by Arne Westad. It explains why we are where we are and the origins going back to around 1900. It's enlightening, joins a lot of dots.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
This one is said to have much new information due to research having been done on newly released papers. It will be interesting to find out why these records were held back, who was holding them and who was being protected. All questions I think we can guess the answer to. I do not see how there could possibly be any genuine National Security reasons for withholding. Let's find out.

What's known about British history is continually updated as The Establishment allows information incriminating those it protects to trickle out after the guilty have safely shuffled off, protected to the last. If this isn't more of that I'll be doing some hat eating.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Please update us Alan. I found much of the book I read to be fairly skin crawling: not just because of the Nazi/fascist connection but because of the whole privileged attitude to the rest of society.

A partial list of the most prominent Right Club members. The extent to which the British aristocracy, and Royalty, beyond just the Windsors, were committed to Hitler might seem quite remarkable. Red Book: Membership list of Captain Ramsay's Right Club - Archives Hub

An interesting list of influential Hitler fans is presented. It goes well beyond those willing to be identified as members of a Fascist club.

I have been unable to find or buy a full list of Right Club Members and sympathisers anywhere. Though the partial list along with all the connected people who though not members were fully sympathetic is considerable and ought to be surprising.

A good read but rather too focused on Unity Mitford for my taste, though still revealing of a good deal I didn't know about her and her family. They were a rum lot. The Windsors naturally feature to a good extent and look worse in the light of what's said here than I previously knew.

All of this information, including information on events at the time and the complete and very deliberate and fully considered lack of official action at the time, including many last minute high level political interdictions to prevent law enforcement and the security services stepping in to detain and question many influential people made interesting, but not at all surprising reading.

It is scandalous, but not surprising. Given the lack of information I'd say that every effort is still being made to hide it. Many files thought to be pertinent are still classified and have regularly had their period of classification extended. That's The Establishment at work, even long after all concerned are dead their has to be a pretence that they didn't behave reprehensibly.

The knowledge these people have that the rules, the law or decency towards the inconsequential members of society's lower ranks don't apply to them is implacable. They are fully entitled to do as they please and if others can't see that then the fault lies with those others.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
A partial list of the most prominent Right Club members. The extent to which the British aristocracy, and Royalty, beyond just the Windsors, were committed to Hitler might seem quite remarkable. Red Book: Membership list of Captain Ramsay's Right Club - Archives Hub

That link gives a partial membership list but it seems to indicate that an apparent full list is available in the Red Book. Yet the membership must have fluctuated.

Surely we must be surprised that such important historical information isn't freely available, nor for that matter are detailed accounts of the whole scandalous episode freely available in the public domain. We should wonder why that is.

I see one for 27€ on Amazon.es, may buy that.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Alex Gerlis, End of Spies. Quite good, WW2 Nazi hunting. Entertaining distraction. One in a series of Prince books.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
Currently reading all the Wodehouse Blandings books again for the nth time. Just started Uncle Fred in the Springtime. I never tire of Wodehouse even when I know every word.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
31,115 Posts
The Man Who Created The Middle East.

It's about Mark Sykes of Sykes - Picot fame. It's an interesting account of the life of a privileged family, including accounts of young Sykes' part, where according to hie letters home he should have been in command, in the tragic debacle that was the Boer War.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts