Motorhome Facts Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I finished my afternoon read: Guy Martin's latest book Dead men don't tell tales the other day. It's a good read and very similar style to his previous stuff.

So in the afternoon's I have started reading The Triumph of the Sun by Wilbur Smith...which I picked up on a campsite when we were in Spain.

I am 90% through the Frank Herbert Chapterhouse Dune on the kindle for my night-time read. It's been hard going in places but tbf has come good at the back end as all the threads are pulled together.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I am still on Ian Rankin "The Beat Goes On". Didn't think I would like it as it is all short stories but I am enjoying it. He gets involved in a case and solves it pretty quickly :)

·
Premium Member
16,367 Posts
We used to like the old readers digest condensed books in the 70s
I have some hard cover Readers digest at home, bought a job lot from a charity shop some years ago . I think there are a few I still haven't read.
At the moment I'm skipping many pages of a book because it's so drawn out, it's called I Spy I saw her die. The beginning was OK but now I skip half a chapter and can still pick up the story because it's just a load of nothing new to fill pages. Free on the kindle of course.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,400 Posts
I've finished Ian Rankin's Exit Music - very good. A German woman gave it to me on my travels. I can't imagine me picking the book up in French as an improvement exercise. I'm not bad at picking up the gist of information boards etc but I think I'd find an entire book exhausting.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I finished Chapterhouse Dune and it came good in the end thankfully.

I have now moved on to Hood by Stephen Lawhead which is a new/different take on the Robin Hood legend. It's good stuff

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,627 Posts
Still on Plato, nearly finished, one of the funniest autobiographies I've read so far, I sort of slow down when I get near to the end of a good book, I like to enjoy them over a few weeks anyway, what's the rush.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I read his book Republic whilst at Uni...no laughs in there. Quite heavy stuff really...

😜

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I finished reading The Triumph of the Sun by Wilbur Smith the other day. What a cracking read it was too and would make a superb film (in the mould of a Lawrence of Arabia-type epic).

The latest afternoon book is Down Under by Bill Bryson. I read it years ago when it came out and he always raises a smile for me.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,627 Posts
Nah, he attempts to be funny but fails badly, it's short silly chapter are quite tedious, so I have started a biography on Oliver Reed, seems ok so far, it might be interesting to see behind the man who loved to shock, I bet he was quite tame away from the public eye.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I finished Hood by Stephen Lawhead but there are 2 other books in the series which I have, so am looking forward to reading them. Have started The Bourne Betrayal by Robert Ludlum now: gripping stuff!

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I finished The Bourne Betrayal by Robert Ludlum (or more correctly by his replacement writer presumably after he died) which was a rip snorter of a thriller; and have just started Scarlet by Stephen Lawhead.

·
Premium Member
16,367 Posts
Help me out please, who was the author and name of the book about us all being spied on by the government.?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
1984 - George Orwell?

Reactions: JanHank
41 - 60 of 74 Posts