Motorhome Facts Forum banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,614 Posts
I'm more into autobiographies lately, I'm not averse to fiction, but I never got into classics, although I read all the Jules Verne stuff a couple of years ago, I suppose I should look at more but I'm no that High Brow in my reading tastes or TV/Film.

Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I don't think its 'high brow' tbh Kev. they are bloody good reads hence why they have stayed the course I reckon.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas last night. I could see why it is regarded as a classic as it was a cracking read.

I'm not sure what new read I'll be starting tonght yet.

· Premium Member
44,614 Posts
the biography of Brendan O'Carrol, he's a fascinating man with an interesting past, and a seriously good auther too, I have his own autobiography on Audiobooks when I finish this.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
You read a couple of his other books a month or two ago didnt you Kev? I guess you liked them?

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
The second in trilogy of modern day spy novels by Tom Bradby. Good reads and very topical.

And a cold war history by Arne Westad. It explains why we are where we are and the origins going back to around 1900. It's enlightening, joins a lot of dots.

· Premium Member
44,614 Posts
You read a couple of his other books a month or two ago didnt you Kev? I guess you liked them?

I did, I really like his style of writing taking you from close to tears to spilling your coffee, he is a seriously good and possibly underrated writer from comedy fiction to serious fiction, film theatre and TV.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I started The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth a couple of nights ago. I saw the film years ago but have never read the book.

· Premium Member
26,033 Posts
Yes both book and film were great imho.

Ray.

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I finished The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth last night. What a cracking read that is. I want to watch the film again now!

I started a new book on my Kindle called Tuck by Stephen R Lawhead. I have read a fair bit of his stuff and find it well readable.

Reactions: raynipper

· Premium Member
8,703 Posts
I am reading a John Le Carre spy novel. It is well written but, as usual, I am struggling with character description. It does not help that the characters have two names each! One is their "cover" name and then there is their real name. Luckily there are not too many of them so I am enjoying it.
Picked up some more books from our doctor's surgery the other day so I am well set up for a while now :)

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I remember reading a biography of the Mitfords some years ago. Very interesting it was too.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
This one is said to have much new information due to research having been done on newly released papers. It will be interesting to find out why these records were held back, who was holding them and who was being protected. All questions I think we can guess the answer to. I do not see how there could possibly be any genuine National Security reasons for withholding. Let's find out.

What's known about British history is continually updated as The Establishment allows information incriminating those it protects to trickle out after the guilty have safely shuffled off, protected to the last. If this isn't more of that I'll be doing some hat eating.

Reactions: Relyat and GMJ

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Please update us Alan. I found much of the book I read to be fairly skin crawling: not just because of the Nazi/fascist connection but because of the whole privileged attitude to the rest of society.

Reactions: erneboy

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I finished Tuck by Stephen R Lawhead a couple of days ago. A rollicking medieval tale.

I started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley the other day. I haven't read this since I did my O Levels 40 years ago, where it was one of the set texts for the exam.

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,733 Posts
The latest of Donna Leon's Brunetti books. Always great reads.

· Premium Member
44,614 Posts
Virtually stopped now, way to cold in the servatory, it does have a rad, but it makes virtually no difference in there it's 5 x 3.5 meters and SW facing but doesn't see the sun until after about 1pm, I've tried reading in the house but too noisy.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,720 Posts
What I wish people knew about dementia by Wendy Mitchell. It's her 2nd book on the subject (Someone I used to know being the 1st.)

She developed early onset dementia when she was 58 and her story of how she's coped in that time is inspirational. The beginning of the 2nd book wasn't very well written I thought (she has a co-writer) but nevertheless, the nuggets are there.

As someone who has several friends at different stages of the disease (and who knows, might go that route myself) I find it a hopeful read.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts